Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derry City to be relegated?

• 06-11-2009 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

Just on RTE News there. Emergency meeting with FAI called for tomorrow and its expected Derry will be relegated! Anyone have more information? I only caught a bit of it on the news.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

would that mean our skin is saved?

it would make the next freezing 90+ mins or my life that bit more bearable. . .speaking of which, better run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

From today's Irish Daily Mail

Derry warned: Your survival is at stake
    By: PHILIP QUINN

CRISIS club Derry City are on the brink of demotion to the First Division as punishment for apparent anomalies in their players' contracts for the 2009 season.

The pride of the north-west, currently fourth in the Premier Division ahead of tonight's final game of the season at Dundalk, appear destined for a fall to the lower tier of Irish club football over a relative pittance compared to the £750,000 they owe creditors.

FAI chiefs met behind closed doors last night to decide on Derry's fate with John Delaney, the FAI chief executive, admitting he had 'grave concerns' for the future of the club. Fran Gavin, the League of Ireland director, warned 'the survival of the club is at stake'.

The Derry distress signals were sent out following a summit at Abbotstown on Wednesday night between senior League of Ireland figures and Derry chairman Pat McDaid, the outcome of which prompted Delaney's intervention.

Without being specific about what emerged at the meeting, Delaney outlined a bleak future for the twice league champions.

Pointedly, he did not make reference to the club's huge debts. 'If any club provide material financial information and it's subsequently proven that information is incorrect, then you have to take action. You have to be fair to the clubs who have played by the rules,' said Delaney.

'We got the May accounts earlier from Derry in the year where we noticed things weren't as good as they should have been, after which we put a transfer embargo in to make sure there was no increased spend on bringing in extra players 'I was concerned for Derry then and I'd have graver concerns after what I heard last night,' added Delaney, who said events would move fast and that a decision on Derry's future is likely today.

'We have to deal with the events of last night, which were reported to me, in a difficult manner.

'The outcome of that meeting will be determined pretty quickly. Because if we take certain sanctions, it affects the play-offs,' he added.

That remark suggests there is a distinct possibility that Bray Wanderers, who finished 10th in the Premier Division, may now play ninth-placed Drogheda United in the play-offs, while St Pat's, Sligo Rovers and Galway United could be spared Asked if Derry City would be playing in the Premier Division next season, Delaney said: 'I think their situation is grave. In what guise they survive or in what division they play in will be determined as events unfold, I don't know.

'It's up to the people who run the club to salvage it, but the ramifications of the meeting and the content which was discussed, could be quite severe.' Discrepancies in player contracts appears to be a particular area of FAI concern.

Sportsmail was told of one senior player whose contract, submitted to the FAI, had him being paid 'X' amount but that he was also being paid a separate sum on another contract.

Delaney is acutely aware of the value which Derry have brought to the League since they joined in 1985 and won't want to lose one of the biggest and best supported clubs they have.

'When Derry came into the League, they brought thousands of fans for Cup finals. I know what it means to the FAI to have Derry in the League; and I know what it means to the people of Derry too,' he said.

€8.6MWAGE BILL FOUR clubs spent €8.6million on players' wages in 2008, according to League figures released yesterday. Cork City spent most with €2.35m, ahead of Drogheda with €2.25m — both had 10 points deducted for entering examinership. St Pat's spent €2.2m and champions Bohemians €1.9m. Salaries to players made up 50 per cent of all expenditure while debts to directors and banks made up 61 per cent of all clubs' liabilities.

From next year, wages to managers and coaches will be factored into the salary cap protocol. Club's losses were down to €2.7m in 2008 while attendances in the Premier Division for 2009 are up 17 per cent.

The club are to meet the FAI at 1.30pm tomorrow to explain the accounts. Expect a fudge from the FAI....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

No FAI bail-out, jaysis they must be confined to Drogs, Cork and Bohs. Derry should be demoted, 8 weeks of not paying players afaik along with still owing Swifts a few thousand from the McGinn transfer to Celtic, it's a f*cking joke, but sure isn't the poxy running of this league in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Its a shame if they are relegated as the league need the likes of Derry and Cork to make this a strong league. Derry are probably one of the best supported teams but paying to have professional players seems to be problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Its a shame if they are relegated as the league need the likes of Derry and Cork to make this a strong league. Derry are probably one of the best supported teams but paying to have professional players seems to be problem.

Making up accounts and submiting them to get a premier licence seems to be more of a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Derry might get points docked which would put them bottom of the league and relegated and Bray and Drogheda in the playoffs.

I agree that the league needs a good cork and derry side in the league but the league also needs to support clubs that play by the rules and punish those that dont to give the league some credability back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

+1

This has been the worst season in the LoI in regards to clubs finances and the overall running of the league. City just scrapped past the taxman, Drogs and Bohs are in financial trouble and now this!! I'm pretty sure every LoI fan would be gutted to see them gone from the Premier League. I believe Derry fans are some of the nicest fans you could ever come across.

I still belive the league should go part time if it's to survive. If it stays full-time, this sort of thing will be constitly happening. I wouldn't be surprised to see around 8 teams playing in the Premier Division next year

Its a shame if they are relegated as the league need the likes of Derry and Cork to make this a strong league.

Wrong, the League needs clubs in Derry and Cork, but not Derry City and Cork City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I imagine if Derry get relegated they'll bring it to court to try have Cork relegated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

I still belive the league should go part time if it's to survive. If it stays full-time, this sort of thing will be constitly happening. I wouldn't be surprised to see around 8 teams playing in the Premier Division next year

This is where I think it gets tricky. Going part time would solve the wage problem a bit but the lads on the big bucks will be lured to lower English league clubs or to Scotland. Derry could go to the Irish league and save a fortune in expenses on travel, but this league has falling attendences and generating money could be a hard. I do see Gavin "shels" point on the manner in which Derry have delt with their players regarding wages and if they are found to have broken the rules well the sentence should suit the crime but all i say is the league needs strong teams like Derry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

its about time Frank and Irene sorted things out.
    the goings on in the league just makes it a laughing stock and the clubs havent been helped by being let away with it over the years.

I do see Gavin "shels" point on the manner in which Derry have delt with their players regarding wages and if they are found to have broken the rules well the sentence should suit the crime but all i say is the league needs strong teams like Derry.

There ain't no IFs, Derry haven't paid there players in 7 or 8 weeks and along with not paying Swifts a few thousand as part of the McGinn deal. Feck em off out of the the premier imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Pity, best fans i have sen in LOI. I have seen all well supported clubs live a few times BTW!

CHD wrote: »
    Pity, best fans i have sen in LOI. I have seen all well supported clubs live a few times BTW!

Jester hat wearing mongs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Derry have been booted out of the league completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Any news from the meeting yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Yeah they haven't been relegated, they've been completely kicked out!

Now we just need to FAI to keep up the good work and sort out Bohs and Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

My arse do they need teams like Cork and Derry who don't pay wages. They need clubs who stay within their means. End of.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Link to the Max
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/2009/1107/derrycity.html
    Derry thrown out of League of Ireland
    Saturday, 7 November 2009 18:25

Derry City's League of Ireland contract has been terminated after the club admitted holding secondary, unofficial contracts with players.

More to follow.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

So, am I right in saying another team needs to be added to the FD to make up the numbers since there won't be an automatically relegated team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jaysus, that's pretty harsh.

Not the way I wanted Galway United to stay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

This will come back to haunt the FAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

What does this mean for the playoffs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Derry have been kicked out of League of Ireland completely, not just relegated!!!!!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2009/1107/derrycity.html

Edit: just saw this was already posted lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Harsh but having unoffical contract with players, your just asking for trouble

I didn't expect that they'd throw em out completely thou

I'm a bit worried/nervous being a Cork City supporter at the mo. We have Matthews trial coming up and with the Derry news, it's not a good time for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Quint wrote: »
    What does this mean for the playoffs?

its between bray and drogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

I'm really sorry for the Derry fans over this.
    I cannot believe the powers that be in the club had the players on 2 contracts.
    I also think that the players should also be banned for agreeing to a second contract and where would this leave kenny? surely he would have been aware of said contracts.

Not the way I wanted our skin saved at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Gutted for the Derry fans.

Hopefully they'll throw City out of the league too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Only right tbh

Awful nonsence to be carrying on with
    Not just the contracts
    the McGinn transfer from an Irish league club and general financial running of the club over last couple of years

There is a difference between a couple of idiots being in charge and making stupid mistakes/gambles and what happened with them

Sorry for some of the fans mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Harsh but having unoffical contract with players, your just asking for trouble

I didn't expect that they'd throw em out completely thou

I'm a bit worried/nervous being a Cork City supporter at the mo. We have Matthews trial coming up and with the Derry news, it's not a good time for us.

Likewise, but we fully deserve to be punished for all the **** that has gone on at the club, as much as it sucks to say...and not only us either.

Really gutted for the Derry fans though, always brought down good crowds and have shown alot of support for us (bucket collections, FORAS etc.), they are a good bunch of supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Galway United staying up then, there goes the possibility of having three Galway sides in the first division, would've been a complete farce.

Galway United staying up then, there goes the possibility of having three Galway sides in the first division, would've been a complete farce.

Mervue United, Galway United and who would have been the third?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

mars bar wrote: »
    Mervue United, Galway United and who would have been the third?

Salthill Devon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Wow. Was not expecting that.

Can't see the IFA taking them back, so that's bye bye Derry City FC.

Cork may yet still go that way.

If the rumours about Bohs and Fingal are true, we could end up with a (bigger) joke of a league next year.

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Salthill Devon

Thought as much.

Thanks!

And yes, it would have been a bit mad having three Galway clubs in it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Another sorry state of affairs. Leaves a bad taste.
    Not the way i would have wanted us to stay up.
    I feel very sorry for the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wonder will the FAI have the backbone to do the same to Cork City.

Anyway, of all the dancing on the grave of Shels three years ago, the Derry fans were the worst.

I don't feel a bit sorry for them.

Deserved punishment, end of. Well done FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

iregk wrote: »

Yea like thats going to happen, the FAI have wanted us out of the league and have got there way at last

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

iregk wrote: »

Why Bohs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Fully deserved imo, hopefully they won't let them back in unless they can show that things will be fully in order / within their means, now kicking out a few more might sort things out a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Why Bohs?

They are in the same financeual troubles as Cork and have had to get the FAI to bail them out with money twice already this year

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They are in the same financeual troubles as Cork
    I don't recall us not paying our players/bus divers

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

They are in the same financeual troubles as Cork and have had to get the FAI to bail them out with money twice already this year

lol. The other 9 teams were all bailed out at least once with the second one being completely standard for a team playing in Europe. From my reading of it we are within the csp without Conroys money and have all our highest earners out of contract. We should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Derry have been thrown out of a different reason than what Cork are doing though. To get around the 65% they had secondary contracts with all the players unknown to the FAI. For once, fair play to the FAI. I feel dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We come 6th so, we could be in Europe yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A real pity that Derry are gone. Always brought great fans to Cork and made themselves a great addition to the league. Make no mistake about it, the league will not be a better place without them. All in all a sham of a year for more reasons than I care to remember. Bring on next season as soon as possible, but not before Coughlan has done the right thing and gone as far away from the X as is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thrown out of League this is just very bad news for the league

Between Cork, Drogs, Bohs and now this where is the League going?

Thrown out of League this is just very bad news for the league

Between Cork, Drogs, Bohs and now this where is the League going?

Shels will save us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There should be no club bigger than the laws of the game and I commend the FAI for their stance. Just hope they're as harsh with Bohs and Cork.

There should be no club bigger than the laws of the game and I commend the FAI for their stance. Just hope they're as harsh with Bohs and Cork.

Altho neither of them have broken any rules :confused:

I agree relegate them both and Dundalk

235-01.gif

Puts us 3rd :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement