Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

permanent decrease in living standards

Options
  • 06-11-2009 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭

what exactly is a permanent decrees in living standards ....how would it manifest its self in the lives of ordinary Irish people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Permanent decrease is slightly misleading, living standards will recover, but not because the property bubble has returned, but because of honest graft.

People will have to drive Mondeos instead of BMW SUVs. The indignity!

The point is that the living standard decrease will be unevenly spread. If you were planning to buy a house in the future your standard of living has not declined. If you are working in a cushy protected private sector job or the ESB then only higher taxes will impact on you, and prices will be lower. If you are in construction then you may have no job or one with half the income you used to have. We already see lower standards, less nitelink buses, no Christmas parties etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

mariaalice wrote: »
    what exactly is a permanent decrees in living standards ....how would it manifest its self in the lives of ordinary Irish people

Not as many silly bouncy castles and limousines for kids parties?
    That teacher on the Joe Duffy show not thinking its her God given right to be able to maintain her holiday home in Croatia ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Jesus aren't we a great lot, I was about to add my 10 pence worth when I stopped and thought, I'm turning in to a begrudger.

What the hell is wrong with bettering your self and if you want to through hard work own a second home and use it for retirement or what ever you want.
    or aspiring to having a really nice car (what car did you want to own when you were a young fellow)

If we don't have dreams or possibility's of what, if ...we work hard can achieve then what!

In saying that I am not living the high life at all , hubby our of work doing a fas course which should have left him qualified and with a job but now because of some changes they will finish the course only half qualified and have to do another course which they don't have priority to and no definite date for it! so with prob 3 weeks to Christmas if we are lucky we will get some work to cover it or else back to the fecken dole. with all those lovely cuts to look forward to. how will that effect my standard of living well its pretty basic now.
    but with a cut in SW (if we don't find work) cut in CB , carbon tax and any thing else they can throw at us. I don't think we will be able to afford to keep a roof over our heads. that's some decrease in standard of living.

Yet I want to own our own my dream home, Have my own car a reliable one nothing flashy and be comfortable not rich just comfortable so We have a few bob in the pocket after all the bills are paid. I will get it to jut let us work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

jimmmy wrote: »
    Not as many silly bouncy castles and limousines for kids parties?
    That teacher on the Joe Duffy show not thinking its her God given right to be able to maintain her holiday home in Croatia ?
    Had to laugh... I'm currently looking at my social welfare neighbors, as they are inflate their latest bouncy castle. Time they cut the rates I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Baby75 wrote: »
    Jesus aren't we a great lot, I was about to add my 10 pence worth when I stopped and thought, I'm turning in to a begrudger.

What the hell is wrong with bettering your self and if you want to through hard work own a second home and use it for retirement or what ever you want.
    or aspiring to having a really nice car (what car did you want to own when you were a young fellow)

If we don't have dreams or possibility's of what, if ...we work hard can achieve then what!

In saying that I am not living the high life at all , hubby our of work doing a fas course which should have left him qualified and with a job but now because of some changes they will finish the course only half qualified and have to do another course which they don't have priority to and no definite date for it! so with prob 3 weeks to Christmas if we are lucky we will get some work to cover it or else back to the fecken dole. with all those lovely cuts to look forward to. how will that effect my standard of living well its pretty basic now.
    but with a cut in SW (if we don't find work) cut in CB , carbon tax and any thing else they can throw at us. I don't think we will be able to afford to keep a roof over our heads. that's some decrease in standard of living.

Yet I want to own our own my dream home, Have my own car a reliable one nothing flashy and be comfortable not rich just comfortable so We have a few bob in the pocket after all the bills are paid. I will get it to jut let us work!

im a bit confused , you start off defending your right to better yourself then spend the rest of the post complaining about a loss in wellfare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Less nights down the pub?
    Cancelling the sports and movies off the sky digital?
    Not replacing your car every two or three years?
    Driving a car you can afford as to opposed to one that makes you look "flash"?
    Not replacing your mobile every six months?
    Maybe forego your foreign holiday every second year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

More burglaries, muggings, public parks neglected, householders in 'better off' estates employing private security companies to patrol them, fortified houses, casual workers on street corners waiting to be hired, people not stopping at traffic lights for fear of car-jacking, ambulance crews with credit card machines...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Oh Baby75,would that it were so.

If this working a bit harder was an option we just might have something to base a recovery on.

However,subsequent to Ireland adopting the Working Time Directive at it`s most restrictive we now have a very firm cap on incomes.
    That cap is set at a 48Hr working week averaged over 17 weeks.

So forget all the talk about working harder because that is now against the law.
    A full-time worker for 40 hours can only do 8 more hours legitimately before being forced to remain idle...unless he/she is prepared to break the law or take cash-in-hand.

Just one example of the confusion and blind-funk our leaders are mired deeply in :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement