Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think of the nifty fifty?

• 06-11-2009 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

Price seems good! What do current owners think? Edit: For Canon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

S'good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I think that it is essential lense for everybody. Especially for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

and thats not just for canon, for every manufacture its a fantastic lens for the money

landyman wrote: »
    and thats not just for canon, for every manufacture its a fantastic lens for the money

Go away you,with your sony :pac:

Have to agree though,Seems to be a high quaility great value lens throughout the SLR world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

There's a thread below on the nifty fifty. As another poster mentioned, it really is an essential purchase. It's easily my favourite lens among the few that I own.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055650691

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I bloody love mine and managed to get it for £70 stg :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I bloody love mine and managed to get it for £70 stg :)

Fecker I paid nearly €200 (delivered) for my Pentax and that was the cheapest price on eBay at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Frustrating. Enticingly delightful. Demanding. Easy. Difficult. Lover and hater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

best bang for buck lens by far.

it should be a criminal offense not to have one imo.

Fecker I paid nearly €200 (delivered) for my Pentax and that was the cheapest price on eBay at the time.

A seller in Kerso in Scotland sells them for £70stg if your a member of a different forum in UK.
    Bargin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Love the quality of the lens. Its crisp and sharp for portrait work. At a low f it has a wonderful shallow depth of field.

The only drawback I have is (nikon version on D80) that its slow to auto focus, when compared to my 70-300vr or even kit lenses. However at €100 its great value for money :cool:

A seller in Kerso in Scotland sells them for £70stg if your a member of a different forum in UK.
    Bargin!

I'm gonna get one of them,How much is P&P?

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I'm gonna get one of them,How much is P&P?

I can't actually remember. I got mine back in Feb this year, but it was a good 3 or 4 months later before i appreciated it and then loved it! The link says 70 quid posted, but you would need to PM the seller to ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I think a fifty is a necessity! It's a lens that you will learn with. It's the best prime for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

What are they like for use in a church? I was in Italy and found the kit lens terrible! And I have just been invited to a wedding and I would like to take a few snaps! I know it is f1.8 so it should be good!

padocon wrote: »
    What are they like for use in a church? I was in Italy and found the kit lens terrible! And I have just been invited to a wedding and I would like to take a few snaps! I know it is f1.8 so it should be good!

Providing you can let your feet do the zooming, (from what i know) you wont get a better lens this side of at least €500
    This was taken inside a church with no flash
    3828031702_0037f84d50_m.jpg
    click for large size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

all its got going for it is sharpness(actually sharper than the 50 f1.2L at smaller apertures), f1.8, light and cheap

but bokeh quality,color,contrast are all lacking. If you are really stuck for cash its a great buy. another option is to buy an old manual 50mm f1.4 / f1.7, f1.8/ f2 lens. much better build quality, cheaper(50mm f2 will cost u 30euro, f1.4 will cost u 70+/-euro) and image quality can also be better with them old lenses. pentax k mount are easily adapted to canon eos.

Providing you can let your feet do the zooming, (from what i know) you wont get a better lens this side of at least €500
    click for large size

sigma 50mm f1.4 is my favourite lens and is much better than the canon 50's except it cant do f1.2, I prefer it to my more expensive 135mm f2L.

click for large size

Wow, that shot is stunning! I forgot the max is 50mm. How ever I'm using a 400D so its slightly more!

You can get a filter to make the shots brighter can't you? And if that was on my 300mm lens all angles would be covered! I don't want to be traipsing round the church.

Any one recommend a filter for what I want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I got one recently for my D90. Its a Nikkor 50mm F1.8 but I can only use it in manual mode so it must be the older version. Great build quality. Bought it on ebay for €80 delivered. Taking a while to get used to the manual focus and the amount of light coming in at F2.8 or F1.8 compared to my kit lens.

Loving the shallow depth of field.

• Advertisement

i got my 50mm f1.4 for 140 euro!! Fantastic value for money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I think it great the lens forces you to get in close and to think abit more about each photo, which can help instead of standing back and using the zoom.

Use the force I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

pentax k mount are easily adapted to canon eos.

Explain please??? :D

Oh and I loved my nifty until I got the 1.4. Its a bloody great lens though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

sineadw wrote: »
    Oh and I loved my nifty until I got the 1.4. Its a bloody great lens though.

i'm trying to decide between the economy of buying the canon nifty and the expense of buying the 1.4 at the moment. i don't have a lot of money but i do plan on having the 1.4 at some stage in the future, so don't know if it's worth spending money on the nifty cause in the long run it will save me money rather than buying both lenses.

can't make up my mind, i wish i had a ton of money & no worries bout this kind of stuff, i'd pimp out my camera big time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

all its got going for it is sharpness(actually sharper than the 50 f1.2L at smaller apertures), f1.8, light and cheap

but bokeh quality,color,contrast are all lacking. If you are really stuck for cash its a great buy. another option is to buy an old manual 50mm f1.4 / f1.7, f1.8/ f2 lens. much better build quality, cheaper(50mm f2 will cost u 30euro, f1.4 will cost u 70+/-euro) and image quality can also be better with them old lenses. pentax k mount are easily adapted to canon eos.

Or just buy the Canon 50mm 1.4 - Better build quality, contrast and autofocus than the 1.8, better autofocus than the 1.2, and a hell of a lot lighter.

Tbh, I'd generally recommend just saving up the bit extra and getting the 1.4 straight away (unless you're not actually that much of a fan of the 50mm focal length and just need a fastish prime).

Time isn't on my side. I may as well save up a good bit and get a better lens in time. Thanks Fajitas!

I think i'll go with nifty fifty. It has a short distance, it will do for now until I have a bit more $$$ and then I can upgrade.

Thanks for all the help every one! Much appreciated!

The 50mm f1.8s arent renowned for their build quality though. My friend had one that the front glass element just fell out when it got a bit of a knock (I fell around laughing when it happened).....

That very reason alone would make me save for a f1.4 version :D

landyman wrote: »
    The 50mm f1.8s arent renowned for their build quality though. My friend had one that the front glass element just fell out when it got a bit of a knock (I fell around laughing when it happened).....

That very reason alone would make me save for a f1.4 version :D

:)
    How old was it?

• Advertisement

padocon wrote: »
    :)
    How old was it?

It was about 2 years old i remember.

He was climbing over a gate and as he was swinging over the gate his 40d clipped the top rung, though not that hard

Plastic not-so-fantastic build quality :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Agree the build quality is not great in fact the 1.8 II feels worse than a kit lens, but the images they produce often speak for themselves.
    I recently purchased one from simplyelectronics.net for €82. At that price my thinking was, work with the lens, get used to it and then when finances permit, upgrade to an L series equivalent.

The price jumps are significant between the available Canon 50's
    50mm 1.8 II - €82
    50mm 1.4 - €295
    50mm 1.2L - €1000

At less than €100 for the lens I think it's a bargain.

sineadw wrote: »
    Doesn't fit mine anyway... :rolleyes:

what do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

I ordered my first ever lens last week - The Canon EF 50mm f1.4. (300 quid from calumet). I'm new to DSLR and a beginner I have spent the past months reading reviews / forums / blogs etc and this lens always seems to get high scores. It made my "which lens do I buy first?" question very easy to answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement