Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth Fishery

Options
  • 06-11-2009 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Heading to Maynooth fishery tomorrow for some winter trouting, anyone been recently or know how it is fishing? Any hot spots of note? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Heading to Maynooth fishery tomorrow for some winter trouting, anyone been recently or know how it is fishing? Any hot spots of note? :)

How did this go for you? trip report please?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Well it was okay. I found it small compared to Cloghan and Pallas but the amenaties were excellent, nice to take a break especially from the rain and strong wind. Caught 4 in total, 3 of them were 2lb+ and in excellent condition and 1 just over a pound. Only 1 other fish caught in our group of 4 so it was very tough going. I caught on sinking line with orange blob, gold head hares ear and a black & green wobbler.

My main gripe is due to the fact that the side we were forced to fish on because of the wind has a steep bank behind it and we caught more grass than fish tbh! Would go back in the summer but not so sure about during the winter. If it was closer I probably would but a 3 hour round trip is not ideal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

thanks for that.. I'm literly 15 mins from it but have never been... any idea what it's like for coarse fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

There seems to be some big carp there, there are lots of pics in reception, saw a big ghost carp there too!! There were about 3/4 bivvies set up on the coarse lake which is bigger than the trout lake. Not sure what else is there but you should give them a quick ring as they are very helpful with advice etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

yes there are big carp in there imported from france fish up to 30lbs. they are quite strict on rules and regulations and thats a bit off putting. you need all the gear sort of a place. i have never fished it but from talking to others who do or who are members i understand its a very hard water. they have a website, its worth looking up and you will get more info. but its a hard place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

from where im living now, i could walk to the fishery in 20 mins, but ive never fished there. I cant fly fish, and im only a beginner at the carp. I do indent to fish there when i get better at carp fishing though. Very nice lakes, well maintained. The carp fishing is hard though

Advertisement