Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP - Problem tenants

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

OP if you think think it's a brothel you should try to kick them out before the police get involved. If the place is raided of might make the newspaper and you might find it hard to rent again especially if you live in a small town

But is it possible the tenants are alcoholics? The people who are coming and going might be partying. I know a house like that that's always full of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Also are they college students? Im guessing not but if they are then thats just a party house lol

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

I'm not sure about asking them what they are doing?

Someone has rented this property from you and they are paying their rent on time. They do have rights to their own privacy.

If you are concerned about your neighbours you could speak to them and say you talked to the gardai and that they are aware of the matter but that without proof they can't do anything. At least they'lll know you're a concerned landlord.

At the end of the day if my landlord started asking me what am I doing every day, who I am having over etc I'd tell him take a hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 its_me10

Bob Z wrote: »
    OP if you think think it's a brothel you should try to kick them out before the police get involved. If the place is raided of might make the newspaper and you might find it hard to rent again especially if you live in a small town

But is it possible the tenants are alcoholics? The people who are coming and going might be partying. I know a house like that that's always full of people.

I think I will try getting them to leave without having to tackle the situation. It might be smoother than dealing with the activity.

Nope, not likely that they are alcholics, students or just friends calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

dny123456 wrote: »
    You are renting it out. As long as they are paying the rent it's their apartment, not yours. Its none of your business what someone gets up to in their apartment

Of course it's his business, its his apartment. If there was a child sex ring or a drug operation running out of the apartment would you be telling him its none of his business? For that matter, if you owned an apartment and people were engaging in these activities would you not have a problem with it? Because I dont know any landlords that would be happy with this situation.
    A tad judgmental. There's an awful lot worse going on in this world that you could get exercised about.
    Well it could certainly have an impact on the op's family and relationships if word got out that out that an apartment of his was being used as a brothel. Who would want to be associated with that activity? Or would want to have to go around denying to people he had anything to do with it? Mud sticks.
    I think you'd be better off not looking for proof. Just leave them alone, they have enough problems on their plate.
    F**k that. This is a problem for the op, as it would be for 99% of landlords out there. He is 100% correct to want these tenants out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

op i work for a management company which had the same problem in one of the the units. the apt concerned was actually blatantly a few doors away from the office. first thing you need to do is satisfy yourself that is a brothel, not just a couple of girls who like to entertain often !;) if it is the girls will change (in our case on a weekly forthnightly basis) if you call and they're seems to be different girls there randomly you're prob on the mark. also if you make excuses to visit and the apartment looks uninhabited. in our case the 'tenant' would call into the office to report the odd problem with plumbing or whatever and when our plumbers would call, (oddly enough all 3 of the them were anxious to offer ) they would note that the place was sparce, no personal items or signs that anyone lived there full time. after a few false starts with contacting the landlord (who used and agency (useless) and never visited, he eventually just rang his contact and asked them outright, they of course denied it but he gave them notice and they had no problem with that. why would they. they simply moved to a unit just down the street and the same happened again. they work form numbers generally, not addresses so its not a huge upheaval. if you're satisfied in yourself whats going on, put it to them and give them notice, if your right they will more than likely jsut move on no hassle.

and just on an additional note, don't think you have to wait til late at night to watch comings and goings from the house. i naively thought it was the kinda thing that went on after hours but literally from 11am there was a steady stream of cars parked outside, at times they would wait for others to leave. also niavely i thought it was a certain 'type' that visited such places but it was everything from old men who you'd imagine wouldn't be able to guys i ppl carriers with kids seats in the back. workmen in vans, who i used think some poor fecker was cursing cause he was meant to be elsewhere an hour ago. eyes opened for me i can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

john47832 wrote: »
    you seemed to miss the "obtain proof" part
    Proof, or no proof, if they did not go through the courts to evict them, and changed the locks, it's still an illegal eveiction.

Hi Bette
    I think from what you have said that you have confirmed my suspicions. They seemed to have quite a few random friends staying over. I read your post and thinking about what you have put in it.. I am more convinved than ever that there is something going on. I have made an appt to go to see the tenants. Strangely only one is available but she has pal staying over for a week or two.
    The apartment is kept well, but no person photos or anything like that.
    Seems to be regular callers... from what neighbours have said.
    Will report back when i call in to see them.

Thanks for the info... its good to hear from someone who has experience about this..

The syco....
    I think given the delicate circumstances that i will go the legal route... but it won't stop me changin the locks when they do leave.

Don't want to get involved in argy bargy with them. :eek:

Hope this post helps others in this situation....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if you were interested - why not set up a "friend" (fellow boardsie) .... to confirm your suspicions.

after you actually know whats going on then you can approach them and tell them that you've heard rumours (they will more than likely want to move on - as if you have heard rumours then it means that the Gardai may have also been told and the risk of getting caught is increasing)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭_michelle_

you should go to the gardai with all the information you have & im sure they will be more than willing to help you sort any problem.

Advertisement