Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a Surround Sound System - First TIme Buyer - Help is much appreciated.

• 06-11-2009 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey everyone and great forums btw.

Ok i am a complete nublet with tech stuff, so i will try to put as much info i can here so you guys can try and suggest some items for me Thank you in advance for all your help and suggestions.

I have bought a new Plasma like 6 months ago and now its time to get some surround sound. I am after a Speaker Package.

My TV: Samsung PS50A558 plasma 1080p 50 inch

I will be useing the surround sound for PS3(Which i mainly use for Blue Ray&DVD but also as a games console), Virgin HD and as an added bonus if possible for my Ipod 80gb to slot in for music.

Room size atm that i will be useing them in is(13' by 20').

My budget would be from £200 - 300/400(Rather it 300 but would push my budget to 400 if i could get something thats newish technology(7.1?) and wont become obsolete in the near future or is worth that little extra push.

I spotted these :Panasonic SC-PT570EB-K 5.1ch Tallboy Home Theatre System with iPod Dock(Radio Wave's)

Also i have read that ONKY is a great make?
    So i found these which seem to be only sold in the USA?

Onkyo HT-S7200 (B) 7.1-Channel Home Entertainment Receiver/Speaker Package with Dock for the iPod

Onkyo HT-S6200 7.1-Channel Home Entertainment

ONKYO HTS3200 Home Cinema System

Questions:
    1] - Is wireless a good option(Radio Waves)(I dont mind wires so not a problem)?
    2] - Do i need a reciever or 7.1 or is 5.1 ample for a newbie film watcher?
    3] - Whats the difference between me buying all tall speakers or just two front tall speakers and two(5.1)/four(7.1)small rear speakers?
    4] - Are all small speakers just as good as the tall ones?(I do like the look of tall speakers).
    5] - I read something about good surround systems use the HDMI upconversion(whatever that is) and Dolby TrueHD also DTS-HD Master Audio decoding, Is all this possible on my budget?
    6] - Which is the best way to recieve sound(Cables etc?)

Sorry for the long post folks wanted to get as much info in as possible.

Thanks again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

Peterpoose wrote: »
    Questions:
    1] - Is wireless a good option(Radio Waves)(I dont mind wires so not a problem)?
    3] - Whats the difference between me buying all tall speakers or just two front tall speakers and two(5.1)/four(7.1)small rear speakers?
    4] - Are all small speakers just as good as the tall ones?(I do like the look of tall speakers).
    5] - I read something about good surround systems use the HDMI upconversion(whatever that is) and Dolby TrueHD also DTS-HD Master Audio decoding, Is all this possible on my budget?
    1) Wireless is fine, so long as you go for a good system. Logitech have a couple of options but not cheap. Bear in mind that you need power sockets to drive the 'wireless' satellite speakers.
    2) 5.1 is definitely fine.
    3) Space.
    4)Yes, so long as you check reviews and buy a good make.
    5) Not really. You're looking at 4-500 min unless you want to go second-hand on eBay. Concentrate on a good Reciever/Amp(my pref) OR Speakers and upgrade the other when funds allow. TBH, unless you've got great hearing, you won't 'really' notice the difference that lesser speakers provide. You may be able to flog them to a mate when you upgrade too.

Good luck and USE GOOGLE. Check out avforums.com and you'll get expert advice. cnet.com also have good reviews.

HTH,

PK.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

General Enquiry moved here.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Peterpoose

Thanks for your responce, i will check the forums you have posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Probably not, only adds to cost and give more things to go wrong

5.1 is fine but you can buy an amp that supports 7.1 and add speakers later when funds allow

Floorstanders (tall) speakers give better bass (generally) but if you are getting a decent sub, small speakers are fine. You can use decent floorstanders without a sub which is good for music but you can't beat the punch of a sub for movies. Note, if you buy small speakers (bookshelf) you need to mount them on stands or on the wall, so add that to the budget. Floorstanders do not need stands so can work out good value. If space allows, thats what I'd go for.

Your TV wil perform the scaling for you i.e. convert 576i DVD image to 1080p. - so you don't need to spend money on it elsewhere.

If you want to watch blu-ray in HD you HAVE to use HDMI. If your amp doesn't have HDMI connections, use digital S/PDIF optical cable - connect the PS3 to TV with HDMI anyway.

If I were you, I'd look out for a Yamaha amp with HDMI and HD audio for around 300 eg. http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/5531

It will work well with the PS3, be sensitive to upgrades and flexible with speaker choice. Then buy 2 floorstanders (2nd hand would be perfect). Just using 2 decent speakers will be a major improvement over the TV speakers. When funds allow, add sub, centre,
    and rears - in that order.

Thanks for your advice, ive seen this http://www.sightandsounduk.com/catalogue/p8031/184_191/Home%20Cinema%20AV%20packages/HT-S6205.aspx?aid=800813

Which i have found for £459 and was willing to push the boat out if its really worth it ? would prefer this model with 2 front standing speakers instead of 2 small if u now a different Onkyo system thats worth getting with 2 standing front speakers as i dont have stands or places to hand them.

Are these worth the extra ? and im hopeing they may come down some for or after christmas.

Thanks

• Advertisement

I have never heard them, so I couldn't comment. Note that av amp, especially Onkyo's run hot, so give them plenty of room.

I think Richer Sounds was doing a deal for boardies on these systems, check out the RS forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1105. I try and dig out the post, I think it was Stock Clearing.

Yes those are the older model, but thx for your responce and for the heat advice first time i hear that so its good know.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Jalalabad

Just bought the Onkyo 507 on it own for €270 inc delivery to cork (with price match) from Richersounds in belfast and you can get the Onkyo sksht528 speaker pack for €190 so give them a shout and they might do a deal for you. Excellent service and good to deal with.
    The 507 is ace really does what it says on the tin but is big and gets hot so as kuro_man said give it pleanty of vent room.

Advertisement