Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What courses require honours Irish?

Options
  • 06-11-2009 9:34pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know, or can you tell me an easy way to look them all up?

I don't want to look through hundreds of courses to find out. The reason Im asking is because Im considering dropping to ordinary but I don't know what course I'm doing yet. So I want to know what options I lose if I drop down..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

Primary school teaching, but I dunno what other courses do

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

laura93 wrote: »
    Primary school teaching, but I dunno what other courses do
    I heard there was a roundabout way of doing it without hons irish though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Search through the courses your interested in. Unless your considering something with Irish eg Media and Irish in UL or something that has Irish in the degree, and Primary teaching I don't think you need Higher Level Irish for any other course. Ask your CG teacher

Yea there is some way around it, but I think you have to contact the college or something and then you'd have to sit an Irish exam when you go into college...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dandoline

DB10 wrote: »

Hi

Can you tell me the roundabout way to get into teaching without hons irish?? Im repeating my leaving to get into teaching and finding Irish really hard at the mo.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

DB10 wrote: »

not for leaving certs. it's either have honours irish or the diploma in irish from NUIG which I assume is the same as honours irish or at a higher level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Law and Teaching I think are the only ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

not for leaving certs. it's either have honours irish or the diploma in irish from NUIG which I assume is the same as honours irish or at a higher level.
    ... or the one from NUI Maynooth.

Very handy for people who don't want to go back to repeat LC Irish as a mature student, and those courses concentrate far more on written and spoken Irish rather than on literature.
    ryanf1 wrote: »
    Law and Teaching I think are the only ones.
    You need Hons Irish for Law?

... or the one from NUI Maynooth.

Very handy for people who don't want to go back to repeat LC Irish as a mature student, and those courses concentrate far more on written and spoken Irish rather than on literature.

You need Hons Irish for Law?

So if I didn't get at least a C3 in irish and then got a diploma in Irish, would I be able to go on to study primary teaching?

So if I didn't get at least a C3 in irish and then got a diploma in Irish, would I be able to go on to study primary teaching?
    Not necessarily "a" diploma in Irish (for all I know there may be courses out there which are not accepted by the Teacher Training Colleges, so I'm answering carefully!) but certainly the Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge offered by NUI Maynooth is accepted by the TTCs as satisfying the Irish requirement for entry into primary teaching, and Rainbow reckons the one from NUI Galway is as well, which would make sense as they are quite similar courses.

Not necessarily "a" diploma in Irish (for all I know there may be courses out there which are not accepted by the Teacher Training Colleges, so I'm answering carefully!) but certainly the Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge offered by NUI Maynooth is accepted by the TTCs as satisfying the Irish requirement for entry into primary teaching, and Rainbow reckons the one from NUI Galway is as well, which would make sense as they are quite similar courses.

Does it say it on the website? Cause I can't seem to find the course...

Never mind I found it. I think I'd rather repeat than do 3 years of only Irish :P lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Law

No, you don't need honours Irish for Law. what law course requires honours irish , law and irish is probably the only law course that requires honours irish.

DB:10 here are the course's that definitely require honours Irish: http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=26

Does it say it on the website? Cause I can't seem to find the course...

Never mind I found it. I think I'd rather repeat than do 3 years of only Irish :P lol
    NUI Maynooth one ...

... and yes it does: "Glactar le Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge ó OÉ Má Nuad in áit onóracha ag an Ardleibhéal sa Ghaeilge san Ardteistiméireacht mar riachtanas iontrála don Chúrsa Iarchéime sa Bhunmhúinteoireacht."

Where are you getting 3 years?! 0_o

It's a part-time course ... one night a week and a couple of Saturdays each year for 2 years! o_0

The NUIG one is similar, I can't actually find it on their website though ... strange!

NUI Maynooth one ...

... and yes it does: "Glactar le Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge ó OÉ Má Nuad in áit onóracha ag an Ardleibhéal sa Ghaeilge san Ardteistiméireacht mar riachtanas iontrála don Chúrsa Iarchéime sa Bhunmhúinteoireacht."

Where are you getting 3 years?! 0_o

It's a part-time course ... one night a week and a couple of Saturdays each year for 2 years! o_0

The NUIG one is similar, I can't actually find it on their website though ... strange!

Oh, I must have been looking at the wrong thing :P
    Thanks though :)

Go ndéana a mhaith duit! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

I thought it was a higher C1 for primary teaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I'm pretty sure you can do a search on Qualifax for this kind of thing.

theowen wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you can do a search on Qualifax for this kind of thing.
    See post 12! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

See post 12! :)
    I knew I should have read all of them:rolleyes:

Advertisement