Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf Advice Please

• 06-11-2009 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hello to all,

I am looking for some advice on calfs. I am looking for approx between 5 to 10 to start, possibly BB, if i can get my hands on some nice males. I am looking for advice on what is the best milk replacement to use. I will be looking for approx 3 week old calves. Also just curious has anyone any design sketches for a good housing setup for calves. I have a big yard that is not in use attached to a shed approx 30ft x 15ft. I will be new to this so any advice would be greatly appreaciated, even on where I would get my hands on some nice calves. I am from Mayo but will be willing to travel for nice stock. Im not new to farming, just always dealt with dry stock and have 32 of them at present all on slats thanks to our beautiful weather. Also is it better to keep them on there own or in a group for infection?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

This is what the Department Of Agriculture say you should do -

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/farmbuildings/farmbuildings/worddownloads/S124.pdf

The usual points -
    No draughts
    Plenty of air flowing, should be no smells when you enter the house
    Dry bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

bb calves will be hard to get unless theyre coming off friesian cows.
    good continental bull calves could cost up to 450 euro .
    would it not be better to buy a bunch of weanlings there are nice weanlings to be got cheap this year and you wont have to buy milk replacer at 40 euro a bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I agree. Bucket feeding calves is just hassle when your not set up for it and milking. So unless you've cows to put them on, I'd go down the weanling route, its a buyers market. Visit a few local marts and you'I soon have an idea of how far your money will go.

Remember, as stated in previous reply add in the cost of the milk replacer and it's a no brainer to buy weanlings!;) Plus no farmer calving belgian blues out of beef cows is going to sell them off the cow after all their worrying and cow management;)

Advertisement