Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dining in Galway City

Options
  • 06-11-2009 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Anyone know of a nice restaurant in the city? its for me and my girlfriends 1st anniv. Cheers.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Cava on dominick street.

It's intimate, romantic, reasonably price and above all yummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Clinque

We always go to Abalone on Dominic Street for anything special. Its really romantic and the food is so good.

I've heard Sheridan's is good although i haven't been yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

We're creatures of habit and always end up going to the Thai Garden for their delicious green curry. Yum. Gemelles in nice too. Must try Abalone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

The first anniversary's paper...somewhere with paper plates?! (Not very helpful, I know...) The last great dinner out I had was at Basilico in Oranmore, if that's any good to you, Fab food, great menu to choose from, incredibly reasonable price, but stil felling like an above-average place to go....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Sheridans, Abalone or Artisan; you won't go wrong with any of those!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Belmono

Went to Sheridans (upstairs) with some friends a fortnight ago.
    Menu is a little bit intimidating, and seems to have been conjured up after looking at Masterchef and trying to find the most obscure names for things!
    Warning: if you go and there is 'Duck to taste' as a starter on the menu, be warned, as it is literally a sliver of duck with some edible flowers. Pretty to look at, but has an ugly price of 10 yoyo
    Main courses are fab, friends had venison and I had pheasant. Top-notch, although the waiting staff leave a lot to be desired. My friend dropped her glass and waitress asked if she had had too much to drink! Waiting staff in stark contrast to menu - they didn't know which dish was venison and which was pheasant! Rude waitress later proceeded to smash a lot of glasses - I bit my tongue, but it seemed like poetic justice! Desserts were smashing, particularly the chocolate fondant. Takes 10 mins, but worth it! (I appreciate the menu might have changed since I was there a fortnight ago)
    Overall, definitely worth a shot, nice setting, have a bottle of prosecco to kick things off, but maybe splash out on dessert over starters if you're going for one over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Only ate in Abalone once and I thought it was fantastic. McSwiggan's is also consistently good if not quite as fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

It is fairly "New Entry" but very good. Brannagans (above Town House Bar)

The Sea Bass there if you are in to Fish...class. Service & Atmosphere was outstanding too. First time I was impressed in a quite a while (I'm not easily impressed). My guests really liked it too. Town house bar is nice as well for after.

Edit: By the way it's not that pricey either, paid something like €120 for 4x with Starters & 2 bottles of wine, i've paid that for 2x in other places...

http://brannagans.ie/

And of course if Oranmore is an option - Basilico is a given - Great food, prices, service, atmosphere.

Don't want to list all the bad places (it would take too long) but the above are safe bets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 toweringinferno

Thanks everyone! Went to thai garden but will definitely try out the other suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

We ate in The Westwood a couple of weeks ago, and in Kirbys lst night. Both were excellent, and no stupidly expensive. Also very good service.

I'm also a huge fan of Abalone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Belmono wrote: »
    Went to Sheridans (upstairs) with some friends a fortnight ago.
    Menu is a little bit intimidating, and seems to have been conjured up after looking at Masterchef and trying to find the most obscure names for things!
    Warning: if you go and there is 'Duck to taste' as a starter on the menu, be warned, as it is literally a sliver of duck with some edible flowers. Pretty to look at, but has an ugly price of 10 yoyo
    Main courses are fab, friends had venison and I had pheasant. Top-notch, although the waiting staff leave a lot to be desired. My friend dropped her glass and waitress asked if she had had too much to drink! Waiting staff in stark contrast to menu - they didn't know which dish was venison and which was pheasant! Rude waitress later proceeded to smash a lot of glasses - I bit my tongue, but it seemed like poetic justice! Desserts were smashing, particularly the chocolate fondant. Takes 10 mins, but worth it! (I appreciate the menu might have changed since I was there a fortnight ago)
    Overall, definitely worth a shot, nice setting, have a bottle of prosecco to kick things off, but maybe splash out on dessert over starters if you're going for one over the other.

I was going to eat there last week and looked at their menu on their website and i thought it seemed a bit "ponsy" as in over complicating the dishes, so i went elsewhere.
    Seems from what you say i didnt miss much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mikebites

Had our cosy, romantic anniversary dinner at Conlon's. Good place for seafood lovers. Good food. Nice service. The owner met us and welcomed us. Later on he sent a dessert for us, on the house. Mighty generous of him. I'll definitely be back and would recommend it to others.

Advertisement