Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleeding Radiators

Options
  • 06-11-2009 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Today,my rads are not heating up at all.The gas boiler is working and there is hot water from the taps.
    I am not a great DIY person but from previous posts,the first thing to do is to bleed the rads.
    How long should you bleed them for????.

I dont really want to mess around with anything else cause I will wreck the whole place

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

Bleed them until a very small amount of water appears. You will soon get the idea as the sound (hissing noise) changes as the air escapes

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

Thanks for that

I bled them but nothing happend other than water came out.I noticed that the water was cold after the heating was on for a bit.

Still no heat from the rads..

Anyone recoomend a plumber around the swords area at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

I have OFCH but I had a problem with rads not heating upstairs and a plumber friend, now retired, told me to put on CH, and leave just one rad downstairs on and once the boiler is running to required temperature, turn on each rad one by one, starting with upstairs. It actually worked, and while by and large, two of the troublesome ones have to be bled upstairs now and again, the systems works fine. Hope this is of some help.

Harpic wrote: »
    I bled them but nothing happend other than water came out.I noticed that the water was cold after the heating was on for a bit.

Still no heat from the rads..

Anyone recoomend a plumber around the swords area at all?

Thanks for the advice.will try it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭affroman69

hey harpic,

Hope this doesnt sound smart but

are both sides of the radiators on?

Are you heating both the heating circuit and hot water or just the water?

can you get heat into any of your radiators?

If you repeatedly bleed the radiators (depending on the heating system) then your pressure may drop and shut the boiler down. Be careful what you do if your not the DIY type!

Call a plumber !!!

thanks affroman-I never touched any of the controls on the rads before so Im guessing there is a more of a problems from the source,
    Before I do any damage I better get in the plumber

Cheers for the guidance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Thermostat turned down, valve turned off - if neither, circulating pump may have packed in.
    Jim.

Advertisement