Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephenstown House

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

I can tell you now that you are most certainly not alright if you stay on the path to Stephenstown House( I don't know why people make assumptions like this!). It is private land and they do not tolterate intrusions lightly. You would need to contact the owners with a good reason to visit the site and get permission (ask locally for contact details as it's not my place to give them here). The building is also unsafe so, besides access to the private land, there are insurance issues to consider.

I am not making assumptions. I had approached the owner regarding access and she said that I was the first one to ever ask and that once people didnt interfere with crops/livestock then it was ok..Now that was about two years ago..

Tolerate intrusions lightly? Dude what are they going to do? Tie ya up and attach ya to the tractor? 9 times out of 10 the garda have no interest.

Regarding the building being unsafe, we could state that the majority of old buildings across the island of ireland should not be approached whatsoever.

The age of P.C and legalities has immersed everything I believe, it used to be once you close the gate behind you, people didn't mind you walking through their fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Look, I work in the countryside every day I know the nonsense we now have to deal with when entering someone's land. Interesting that she said fine if you don't interfere with crops/livestock. They are solely arable farmers there. They don't have livestock. And a man owns it. I have had to carryout wildlife surveys there and he was ok to deal with but I have come across people being told to leave in no uncertain terms in the past. It's also good manners and protocol to ask first if entering land where you are not known to the owner. Not always possible but worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Look, I work in the countryside every day I know the nonsense we now have to deal with when entering someone's land. Interesting that she said fine if you don't interfere with crops/livestock. They are solely arable farmers there. They don't have livestock.

When I was out there, there was livestock in the form of cattle at the sheds that you walk by to get to the house..I may be from town but I know that cattle comes under the livestock tag.

And a man owns it. I have had to carryout wildlife surveys there and he was ok to deal with but I have come across people being told to leave in no uncertain terms in the past. It's also good manners and protocol to ask first if entering land where you are not known to the owner. Not always possible but worth the effort.

It was yer man's mother and father I was dealing with. You'll know who I am talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

Thanks for the replies on this guys, much appreciate it.
    I havent got to Stephenstown yet, but I would always try to ask permission before going near any of these places, so might ramble up this weekend and see if I can make local enquiries.

Similar with Gldye Court, I drove up to the place, but there were signs everywhere saying trespassers forbidden, so I didnt go in. Shame though, that place looks fascinating, and I had my camera at the ready. I was peering through the trees and it looked like a helluva mansion.

Wasnt a total loss though, as I managed to get permission to go up into Louth Hall instead (the owner was repairing a fence and very kindly said I could go up no problem.) Louth Hall is some place as well, such a shame to see all these great houses destroyed by time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Archeron wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies on this guys, much appreciate it.
    I havent got to Stephenstown yet, but I would always try to ask permission before going near any of these places, so might ramble up this weekend and see if I can make local enquiries.

Similar with Gldye Court, I drove up to the place, but there were signs everywhere saying trespassers forbidden, so I didnt go in. Shame though, that place looks fascinating, and I had my camera at the ready. I was peering through the trees and it looked like a helluva mansion.

Wasnt a total loss though, as I managed to get permission to go up into Louth Hall instead (the owner was repairing a fence and very kindly said I could go up no problem.) Louth Hall is some place as well, such a shame to see all these great houses destroyed by time.
    Owner of Stephenstown and Glyde are the same AFAIK. Glyde is amazing. Been there twice.

• Advertisement

I don't think they are the same owners at all. I have been to Stephenstown House quite often on wildlife surveys but the owner (who I know many years) does not allow too many near it; as there are major Health & Safety issues due to it's condition.

I don't think they are the same owners at all. I have been to Stephenstown House quite often on wildlife surveys but the owner (who I know many years) does not allow too many near it; as there are major Health & Safety issues due to it's condition.

Same man gave me permission to go to both so he was either pulling my leg or you got it wrong.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Same man gave me permission to go to both so he was either pulling my leg or you got it wrong.

Could well be. :p I didn't know Lambe had Glyde - He never mentioned it and I never come across him in that area at all. I'll have to ask him next time I bump into him.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 defitzi

:cool:
    I can tell you now that you are most certainly not alright if you stay on the path to Stephenstown House( I don't know why people make assumptions like this!). It is private land and they do not tolterate intrusions lightly. You would need to contact the owners with a good reason to visit the site and get permission (ask locally for contact details as it's not my place to give them here). The building is also unsafe so, besides access to the private land, there are insurance issues to consider.
    intrusions my arse? people fought for hundreds of years in this country to stop people closing off land to peope who do no damage nor intrude on privacy. Can't see how anyone could intrude on privacy here provided the keep to the track. A good reason to visit the site is that this is the REPUBLIC OF Irelnd and no longer the preserve of the old Anglo Norman landed gentry establishment and it exert the right of ever free born Irishman ( or woman ) to walk where they will in their own land without doing any harm..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

defitzi wrote: »
    intrusions my arse? people fought for hundreds of years in this country to stop people closing off land to peope who do no damage nor intrude on privacy. Can't see how anyone could intrude on privacy here provided the keep to the track. A good reason to visit the site is that this is the REPUBLIC OF Irelnd and no longer the preserve of the old Anglo Norman landed gentry establishment and it exert the right of ever free born Irishman ( or woman ) to walk where they will in their own land without doing any harm..

You don't know much about the law, do you?

• Advertisement

You don't know much about the law, do you?

Clearly not..... :confused:

defitzi wrote: »

Well, try coming on to my property without permission. :rolleyes: Ever hear about private property? This has nothing to do with freedom or a Republic but an owner's right to have who they wish on their property. The track mentioned is the drive to the house. You can't just trespass on anybody's property because you feel like it. It's attitudes like yours that gets people's backs up and leave it more difficult for ordinary decent, polite, people to access our countryside or important sites. 90% of landowners I know have no problem allowing access if asked properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 defitzi

well this lot of dogs in mangers obviously don't belong to the 90 per cent. Never mind the law it is quite irelevant in thiks day of wholesale murders, drugs, armed robbery, and so many other things that the Guards have rather mor to do than worry about stingy farmers trying to keep people off land they should never have had in the first place. Give us back our 26 counties. #

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

This threads gone septic, if you wish to continue the debate about access i suggest you start a new thread in a relevant forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement