Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speculoos

Options
  • 06-11-2009 11:00pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone made speculoos before?
    I fancy trying my hand at it, seeing as i have a new cookie gun, and consistantly shaped cookies might be a good christmas present.

Tips/hints/direction appreciated.

(ps they're them tasty cinnamonny biscuits you get given with a cup of coffee, all wrapped up in a little plastic)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Some background reading here :P
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculaas

Something like this should work, its basically a spiced shortcrust.

300 g Flour
    100 g ground almonds
    175 g sugar
    1 lemon zest
    ½ tsp cinnamon
    1 pinch ground cloves
    1 pinch ground cardamom
    1 pinch mace
    200 g chilled butter
    1 Eg
    100 g flaked almonds

Place flour, almonds, spices and butter cubes on a board and mix up. Then place egg in the middle and quickly bring together to a soft dough.
    Wrap with cling film and chill in refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.

Line a baking tray with baking paper, grease lightly and spread the flaked almonds on the paper.

Make the cookies using your favourite cookie cutters or special spekulatius moulds.

Place cookies on tray and chill briefly.

Then bake in a pre-heated oven, 180 °C, for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown.

Allow to cool and store in a air-tight tin.

(from chefkoch.de)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Tree wrote: »
    Anyone made speculoos before?
    I fancy trying my hand at it, seeing as i have a new cookie gun, and consistantly shaped cookies might be a good christmas present.

Tips/hints/direction appreciated.

(ps they're them tasty cinnamonny biscuits you get given with a cup of coffee, all wrapped up in a little plastic)

could you elaborate on this cookie gun?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

himself got it in lidl a couple of weeks ago. it's like a silicone sealer gun, but with a cookie shape where the nozzle is, and soft cookie dough where the sealant goes....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Tree wrote: »
    himself got it in lidl a couple of weeks ago. it's like a silicone sealer gun, but with a cookie shape where the nozzle is, and soft cookie dough where the sealant goes....

Now I won't sleep until i have one.

Advertisement