If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for AV receiver

Options
  • 06-11-2009 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello there :)

My subwoofer (which has an integrated receiver) decided to die on me yesterday, so I'm in the lookout for a new surround sound receiver.

My setup is a an LCD 46" Samsung TV(LE46M86BD), 7.1 surround system (Creative GigaWorks S750), and my PC as video/music media center.

I pass video to the tv via hdmi, and audio to the speakers with simple cable from my onboard sound card. (I also have a Creative X-Fi sound card but I use linux and I can't be bothered to set it up properly to use optical out, etc :P).

So, since my subwoofer died, I have no sound. What I need is a surround sound receiver, but I can't find any. I only found two channel receivers. Do you have any suggestions?

I guess I'll have to go for a surround AV receiver, and just use it for sound.

YAMAHA RXV365 seems to do the job, and its night sound mode is VERY handy. Is there a significant difference between the yamaha and Onkyo TX-SR307 or SAMSUNG AVR720 (do they have 'night' modes)? And what is the cost in euros with delivery at Dublin?

Also, if I want to upgrade my speakers:
    1) Should I upgrade my front sides first or the front center? (all 3 are out of budget atm)
    2) Let's say I upgrade the two front side speakers, will two cheap ones (that don't look crap and with a price range around 50-70E) make a significant difference from my current ones? Or I have to go for more expensive ones?

I'm looking forward to your response! (sorry for the lengthy message :D )

p.s.: if you have any ex-expo,etc items to suggest, I'm up for it ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

You should post an budget per item or an overall budget to see what options might fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

enosis wrote: »
    My setup is a an LCD 46" Samsung TV(LE46M86BD)

bit off topic but I have the exact same TV, have you been having hassle with it not coming on?The Inlaws have the same one too with the same issues. Power it on and just craps out, but if you leave it off for a couple of hours it works no bother, mine has been ok for two weeks now just waiting for it to happen again

• Registered Users Posts: 23 enosis

eddiem74 wrote: »
    You should post an budget per item or an overall budget to see what options might fit.
    Well, it was not planned so there is not really a budget. The 3 receivers I asked for are within the price range I want to go for, and as for the speakers I might be interested depending on the reply (also gave a price range). :)
    markfla wrote: »
    bit off topic but I have the exact same TV, have you been having hassle with it not coming on?The Inlaws have the same one too with the same issues. Power it on and just craps out, but if you leave it off for a couple of hours it works no bother, mine has been ok for two weeks now just waiting for it to happen again
    Sorry mate, I don't have this problem. The only similar 'issue' in a way is that when I turn it on (it defaults to Magnet's cable TV) it doesn't show anything until I switch channel on magnet, cause the cable receiver seems to go into a standby mode.

bump :D

and to sum up my 1st post:

1) Do I need an AV receiver just to pass sound to my surround speakers from my computer, or is there just a surround sound receiver to do the job (interested in 5.1 mostly) ?

2) Can I have quotes for YAMAHA RXV365 (with delivery at Dublin), and Onkyo TX-SR307 & SAMSUNG AVR720 *if* you think they will make a significant difference from the Yamaha?

3) Do the Onkyo and Samsung ones have a sound mode similar to yamaha's 'night mode'?

4) If I want to upgrade my speakers should I upgrade my front side ones first or the front center? (all 3 are out of budget atm)
    4.1) Let's say I upgrade the two front side speakers, will two cheap ones (that don't look crap and with a price range around 50-70E) make a significant difference from my current ones? Or I have to go for more expensive ones?

I don't mind buying ex-expo, open box, etc items if the price is right.

bump :|

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

HI Enosis.

Sorry for the Delay in getting a reply to you!!!

An AV Receiver would be the best for the job you are intending it to do.

One of the most popular amps at the moment within this price range would be the Onkyo 307. It also has a night mode like the Yamaha.

The Samsung AVR720 is now a finished model and we only have our display unit left which I could offer for £199.95 / 225 Euro.
    The Samsung does not have any of the HD Audio sound formats onboard.

I have a few Onkyo 307 in Black "OPEN BOX" products which I could offer for £169.95 to clear them. (In excellent condition - As New).

It would benefit you to set up your sound card for optical output as this is how your will get Dolby Digital from you PC to the amp rather than feeding it with a stereo signal.

If you are thinking about upgrading your two front speakers you could have a look at the following:

Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 priced at £49.95 56.99 Euro (Rose Colour Only)
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-9.0/whar-9.0-rose

If you stepped up to the Tannoy Custom F1's then you would have a noticeable difference. Currently priced at £79.95 / 90 Euro (Stock Limited at the moment).
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/tannoy/f1-custom/tann-f1-custom-dkoak

I hope this is of help to you.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions please ask.

Thanks for the reply Kenny.

I did some further research and I'm down to these choices:

Yamaha RXV635
    Onkyo does not have 5.1 analog input, and Samsung is more expensive - I will not notice the difference anyway with my speakers. (I assume the CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 340R does not have a 'night mode'?)

Q ACOUSTICS 1010i
    Seem to have decent sound at a good price, and look a bit better than the other two. I just noticed that the price differs between the .ie (£87) and .co.uk (£60) site. Which one is correct? (I assume your price-beating policy will automatically default the price to £60 :D )

Cable-wise, my current system has these:

3-4_audio_cable.jpg

Can I use them somehow or I need new ones? If they are no good, then I need:
    5m 'plain' cable for my onboard soundcard to AV receiver
    and 5m optical cable for my X-Fi's front panel to the receiver (I will boot into windows for that)

So, can I have a price in euro for the above?

Can I pick them up from somewhere at Dublin? Otherwise what's the delivery cost?

Looking forward to your reply (and getting my sound back again)!

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Ive had a look at the Picture of your leads between your sound card and speakers and as its a pc cable I am a little confused by it :eek:

Its looking like your old speakers will be made redundent as it seems that they run off of a 3.5mm jack input? All the speakers we would sell run of speaker cable so you could not connect them to a seperate Home cinema amp.

If you are using the Optical from your Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card then there would be no need to use a second sound card on your PC?

Which version of X-Fi do you have as each version has different outputs.

The Sound Blaster would give better sound reproduction over a standard onboard card.

So you would connect the X-Fi via optical to the Amp and then using speaker cable connect from the amp to the speakers.

Yamaha RXV365 priced at £179.95 / 204.99 Euro (Would need ordered in)
    You should have a look at the Pioneer VSX519 which we have on a Cracking offer for Only £199.95 / 229.99 Euro
    https://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?objectid=938&mode=0&categoryid=3&sub=24&productid=948&c=1

Q Acoustic 1010i speakers priced at £59.95 / 69.99 Euro (One pair in stock - Waiting on more stock arriving).
    You could also have a check at the Teac LSH240 speakers in a Walnut finish will be arriving from Teac next week priced at £49.95 57.00 Euro saving you £30 / 35 Euro off the standard retail:

Colour Walnut
    Dimensions 170x270x235mm
    Weight 3.7kg
    Bass Driver 130mm
    Tweeter 25mm
    Impedance 6 Ohm
    Sensitivity 86dB
    Peak Music Power 50W
    Frequency Response 60-22kHz
    Connections Binding-post speaker terminals

LSH240Walnut.jpg

Cambridge Optical 4.8m SUPER SPECIAL PRICE of £25 / 28.99 Euro (ONLY TWO LEFT). Normally £55 / 62.50 Euro

Cambridge Audio Symphony 100 priced at .99p / 1.15 Euro per meter
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-cables/cambridge-audio/symphony-100/gale-symphony-100

Let me know what you think!

Kenny, thanks for all the suggestions and help.

I would like to order the Yamaha RXV365. I found a simple solution for the cables so I won't need any.

Regarding the speakers, I will postpone them for a few months in order to get better ones, so you'll hear back from me :)

So, should I send you a pm/email or call you?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

enosis,

i have that gigworks system also ( love it :D ), and one day the sub just went also. i rang creative in dublin, nice people, gave them the serial number of the system and from the date of prod. was still under warranty, so they sent out a replacement system, sub and 7 speakers!! no cable now or control unit but sure. good service.

could try it for yuorself too

• Advertisement

wreckless wrote: »
    enosis,

i have that gigworks system also ( love it :D ), and one day the sub just went also. i rang creative in dublin, nice people, gave them the serial number of the system and from the date of prod. was still under warranty, so they sent out a replacement system, sub and 7 speakers!! no cable now or control unit but sure. good service.

could try it for yuorself too
    Well I bought it ~5 years ago, so I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty. But, anyway, it was a nice excuse to buy an AV receiver and start building a proper home theater :P

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

5 yrs, yeah id say so ....lol

any excuse, i know what u mean. ;)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.