Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees @ Hedging & Geothermal

Options
  • 06-11-2009 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Can you set anything in the vicinity of geothermal horizontal ground loop? May effect my choice of heating system

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 treesireland

hi .
    yes you can.
    but first you must know how deep the system is .
    ask your self what you wish to plant .
    and then ask the question. can + if i plant x over an underground system that is y deep . will x do damage to y
    x just survive
    x trive in this new envirment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Wouldn't you need every ounce of sunlight on the area where the ground loop is, If you shade this area at all you will seriously affect the heat available for collection...

i am not an expert on heat systems . but my understanding is that the pip or cabil is placed at a depth of constant temp , so it can produce results reguardless of ground frost or very sunny days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'm afraid it's a myth that we have geothermal heat here in Ireland, yes there will be a constant temperature but any heat which is to be gathered must come from the sun...

Shade the ground and you will have less heat to collect...

as a pro lanscaper and expert tree and nursury person . and based puirely on my observation of manny locations are.
    1/ pip leaving the house and pip returning to the house are way to cloos.
    2/ the natural ground formation ie plants, roots ,top soil, sub soil ect in combenation with local water tabil.
    the point i am trying to make is that this area dug up fit pips or cabils the natural balance is interruped .
    the constant heet , is to be found between top soil and sub soil this lair dose not hav a fixed depth , and allways follows the contours of the natural land scap, but as i hav seen so maney times in the past the system gets put in neer the end of constrion to fit with a man made time tabil with no consideration to time of year or ground condision at the time . and i hav never herd of a landscaper being consulted only when the mess needs to be clened up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement