Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The private hospital in puttaghaun.

• 07-11-2009 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Well guys, anyone know what the story wit this is? Was told by a friend working for sisk that they were recruiting for construction workers. That was about 2month ago. Also heard that it has to start soon or all the steel wil have to be pulled down due to weathering. Also heard from a lad that worked for Flanagan's, that the bould johnny has to pay sisk a lot of money (were talking well over 10,000) a week, even though they're not workin on it as its not their fault the Maher pulled out. Anyone actually know are they starting it soon, when is it to be completed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

Any truth in the rumour it's going to be called 'The Priority Clinic' ?? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Oh how the mighty fall! ;)

Is it wrong to feel just a little bit of pleasure that they got screwed over on this?! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭medoc

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Oh how the mighty fall! ;)

Is it wrong to feel just a little bit of pleasure that they got screwed over on this?! :p

The kick in the a*se from the recession for the big boys is Imho no bad thing. But dont forget about the lads who were workin on site. Also if it ever is finished it will mean more jobs for town which are badly needed.

medoc wrote: »
    The kick in the a*se from the recession for the big boys is Imho no bad thing. But dont forget about the lads who were workin on site. Also if it ever is finished it will mean more jobs for town which are badly needed.

Oh completely agree, the town needs jobs and really feel for the guys who lost jobs on site, but you can be guaranteed that jobs for the lads was the last thing on Johnnie boys mind when he was planning this private hospital, money money money, greed greed greed, thats what it was all about.

What goes around comes around springs to mind. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

i think the mater wanted a leaseback and naming rights whereas Flanagan wanted a profitsharing thing... probably meaning pay the mater for their services and then take any profit themselves.... anyway they gambled and lost... I think they have no choice but to let Sisk start again cos they are loosing money as Sisk get paid whether the site is idle or not...

• Advertisement

i think the mater wanted a leaseback and naming rights whereas Flanagan wanted a profitsharing thing... probably meaning pay the mater for their services and then take any profit themselves.... anyway they gambled and lost...

Idiots they deserve it so. What would they know about running a hospital anyway. They should have went with the Matters proposal and made money from the rent. At least the soccer club got sorted anyway before this mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

johnny should of stuck to the building trade anyways. he tried to break into the pub/niteclub area with #1 and that also failed. the court hotel does well but thats only because of the good managers he has there.

I dont know why he wants to go down the road of medical care anyways. i do hope it does get built. something has to happen to create jobs in the midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

athlonelad wrote: »
    johnny should of stuck to the building trade anyways. he tried to break into the pub/niteclub area with #1 and that also failed. the court hotel does well but thats only because of the good managers he has there.

I dont know why he wants to go down the road of medical care anyways. i do hope it does get built. something has to happen to create jobs in the midlands

The Court Hotel is not doing well..........

im in it weekly, always conferences etc during the day, weddings and hotel guests jam the bar at night. it is doing well

IrishHomer wrote: »
    The Court Hotel is not doing well..........

You are correct, its not doing well at all. ;)

Might look like there is loads of business, but looks can be deceiving.

And there have been staff cutbacks, hours cut, pay cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭motorman

Gloating about someones buissness going down the drain is not becoming of any well balanced individual.
    Serves him right, greedy fecker and all that......
    The route of the resession problem is far beyond any developer, they were simply oppertunists as humans are by nature.

motorman wrote: »
    Gloating about someones buissness going down the drain is not becoming of any well balanced individual.
    Serves him right, greedy fecker and all that......
    The route of the resession problem is far beyond any developer, they were simply oppertunists as humans are by nature.

I agree with you. He is a business man at the end of the day and im sure he has a nice nest egg to retire on anyways. fair play to him i say. i know its tough on some of his former workers but johnny cant create a demand for housing or new businesses to open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

John Jnr runs it now. Johnny hasnt done anything bar keep himself occupied by walking around sites the last few years. Id say it was more the sons that decided to try all this. Maybe daddy had to sign off on it, i dont know.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

The hotels and construction are two seperate business run by seperate board or directors. They do share some directors though. I hope the hospital get finished, not only for the jobs and services it will bring but also the damn thing is an eye sore on the new bypass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

TomTom wrote: »
    The hotels and construction are two seperate business run by seperate board or directors. They do share some directors though. I hope the hospital get finished, not only for the jobs and services it will bring but also the damn thing is an eye sore on the new bypass.

Hospitals and hotels are the way that Mary Harney and her friends in IBEC want to see healthcare going under co-location. Just look at the Beacon Clinic - go ther to have your procedure, and then you recover in your private room in the Beacon Hotel next door! And guess what the best thing is? THE TAXPAYER IS PAYING! Hotel and hospitals both built on the back of generous grants and tax write-offs, whilst services in the hospitals that you, me, our parents and grandparents were born in, paid for and were treated in are run-down.

Johnnie and other Johnnie F's around the country are laughing all the way to their accountants. And just like Smurfit and JP McManus, the only time they will ever step inside an Irish hospital is to collect the cash......

Edit: does this site flood & how is is bearing up in the wet weather..?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Hospitals and hotels are the way that Mary Harney and her friends in IBEC want to see healthcare going under co-location. Just look at the Beacon Clinic - go ther to have your procedure, and then you recover in your private room in the Beacon Hotel next door! And guess what the best thing is? THE TAXPAYER IS PAYING! Hotel and hospitals both built on the back of generous grants and tax write-offs, whilst services in the hospitals that you, me, our parents and grandparents were born in, paid for and were treated in are run-down.

Johnnie and other Johnnie F's around the country are laughing all the way to their accountants. And just like Smurfit and JP McManus, the only time they will ever step inside an Irish hospital is to collect the cash......

Edit: does this site flood & how is is bearing up in the wet weather..?

I was refering to the Tullamore Court hotel and the hospital being completly seperate business, not commenting on the private hospital/hotel thing. The site looks ok from a flooding point of view, I am passing it everyday and although some fields on the far side of the bypass were flooded the site did not appear to suffer.

I'm in favour of private hospitals as long as they are just that. Private, self funded and run like a business without government funding. A friend of mine is a doctor
    in the states and worked in a fully private hospital and he said the difference to working in an Irish hospital was madness. They had to answer to a board of directors so there was very little issues with mal practice as the hospital was its own entity as opposed to being protected by someone like the HSE. The quality and state of the hospital was top class as it was crutial to their business that it was an attractive place to go.

In fairness this proposal is/was different from the other schemes in the media. The other private hospitals proposed for locations beside public hospitals were to be built on our (public) land. In this scheme the land was bought and owned by the developer which was beside the hospital. Now I'm sure there were tax breaks for this scheme aswell but its not in the same category as the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

TomTom wrote: »
    I was refering to the Tullamore Court hotel and the hospital being completly seperate business, not commenting on the private hospital/hotel thing. The site looks ok from a flooding point of view, I am passing it everyday and although some fields on the far side of the bypass were flooded the site did not appear to suffer.

I'm in favour of private hospitals as long as they are just that. Private, self funded and run like a business without government funding. A friend of mine is a doctor
    in the states and worked in a fully private hospital and he said the difference to working in an Irish hospital was madness. They had to answer to a board of directors so there was very little issues with mal practice as the hospital was its own entity as opposed to being protected by someone like the HSE. The quality and state of the hospital was top class as it was crutial to their business that it was an attractive place to go.

Yes, that site can flood. But more so the far side of the new bypass. So far, the floods have been minimal around Tullamore and insufficient rain fell to worry 'the callows' as they are known. That ground, used to have corncrakes 25 years ago and still has snipe. Its very low ground. I've seen 4 feet of water out there.

Where the private hospital is, turf was cut just over 100 years ago. The drains there are 6-7 feet deep of water in the winter. Its unbelievable that they could engineer a building to be one storey below ground in a place like that, and not cause disaastrous follow-on effects for everyone around them. Its not for no small reason that not even the poorest of the poor lived in those fields in the last 200 years. There were 2 very small shacks that I know of.

That hospital should never have been allowed there. That ground 'stored' water that will, some day, engulf Whitehall Estate or somewhere else further down the river. Flat-topping all of the Meelaghans has a similar effect. I recall, about 20 years ago, a guy windsurfing on a flooded field opposite Tescos.

That was awful ground, for centuries. That's why it's called the Callows!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Alfasud

Its still an eyesore. Everything was planned from an access point of view, before the crash. The owner was both a councellor and Health Board member. Where does 'conflict of interest 'come in here. He had inside knowledge about every piece of land for development etc. The ordinary hardworking man dosen't stand a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

There's enough substance in the last post for a Primtime special ;) or at the very least an ol' Sunday World exclusive on a quiet Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

There's enough substance in the last post for a Primtime special ;) or at the very least an ol' Sunday World exclusive on a quiet Sunday.
    They'll get nothing to report with the omerta you find in Tullamore.
    Tullamore truly is the belly of the beast where this is concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

I once pointed out to a relative through marriage who is very much a Tullamore native that various locations initially granted PP around Tullamore were on floodplains which could be viewed online at the OPW web site.
    I pointed out that building on flood plains was a bad idea.
    This guy was from the town so doesn't understand that land floods. At least the gombeens out in the country realise that you can't "get rid" of water, you can only displace it.
    He said the owners paid good money for the land and they were entitled to develop on it and who were the C.C. or U.D.C to tell them that they couldn't.
    As I was in the relative through marriage's home I didn't dwell on the issue any further but he was left with the opinion that he won that argument.

Advertisement