Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Boss Character ever !

Options
  • 07-11-2009 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

I thought, and so did many others here ..that Seth...from SFIV was cheap, I mean...even on easy he was ridiculous

But..now there is a new king

Tekken 6's Azazel, I've had the game 1 day, and twice I've turned it off in rage at this guy. I'm on the verge of never playing again he's that bad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I thought Anubis on ZoE2 was pretty gruesome for a good while there.

The last level of Super Mario Brothers.

Emerald Weapon.

Ruby Weapon. Christ.

And the Rabbit at the Greyhound track. Never beath im!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

This absolutely ridiculous bastard/bitch/mechanical yokey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anubis from ZoE 2 however was harsh but fair and a fantastic boss fight, definitely not cheap. If you want cheap check out Gil in SF3. The ****er has a super art that revives him if he dies to full health, it's a joke.

Yeah I only do harsh but fair tbh.

My very first Super-hard yet fun boss fight:

Final Fantasy Boss in a Mario game?? ****ing awesome I tell you. ****ing awesome.

Of course being 8 years old greatly increases your appreciation of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Any of the bosses from Ninja Gaiden 2 spring to mind.

Especially that fecking flaming armadillo!

• Advertisement

This vid makes it seem easy but Nihillanith or whatever the **** its called, I dont think Ive actually ever completed this boss fight:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I recentish topic reminded me of that cheap litte bastard in The Force Unleashed. The mechanised yoda sized nut job. On the hardest difficulty he's the spammiest little pain in the ass.

Seth from SF is way up there and I don't even own the game, I just played it at a friends but he was incredibly unfair to fight.

Actually Shao Khan in UMK 3 was pretty cheap too. He just kept doing super tackles repeatedly until you were mush against an invisible wall.

The last boss in Revenge of Shinobi. I don't know how many times I replayed him. He actually followed an easyish pattern but you only needed to screw up badly once to be destroyed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Last boss of radiant Silvergun. Not cheap or unfair but really tough.

The bit of engrish at the start of the fight (spread across 6 youtube videos) sums it up perfectly:

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS

1: Be Praying
    2: Be Praying
    3: Be Praying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

By cheap...I was sort of referring to a boss who had nothing really to do with the game or its previous incarnations. As if it were thrown in at the end ...BECAUSE it was the end...and made extra difficult because of it.

FF9 had that Necron or something......he wasnt too hard...but...just popped in at the end of the story. Stupid.

And this new Tekken boss is ...well...I dont know wtf he is. Some egyptian god looking monster,,,and i thought ogre was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

SeantheMan wrote: »
    And this new Tekken boss is ...well...I dont know wtf he is. Some egyptian god looking monster,,,and i thought ogre was bad.

Azazel is his name and he's a pain in the hole alright, as is NANCY, the giant combat mecha you have to fight in a special stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Shryke wrote: »
    I recentish topic reminded me of that cheap litte bastard in The Force Unleashed. The mechanised yoda sized nut job. On the hardest difficulty he's the spammiest little pain in the ass.

Oh yeah I despised the bosses in that game - spamtastic for sure. Most of them were irritating, but there was one that kept spamming a close to unblockable tentacle move which took away buckets of your health every time. Very cheap indeed. Doesn't help that fighting the engine was sometimes a boss battle itself :pac:

I never got the appeal of those uber-bosses in RPGs, especially ones with crazy healing moves. I'm not really sure the idea of a hundred plus hours of grinding just to beat a stupidly powerful enemy (Dark Aeons anyone?) is an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

M Bison in Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition (especially hardest) if you lose to him the first few times. i swear to god, probably still the smartest AI Ive ever played because Bison starts to learn your habits and he gets a LOT harder to beat. beat him quick!

FF9 had that Necron or something......he wasnt too hard...but...just popped in at the end of the story. Stupid.

That was actually a homage to FF4 which had a boss appear out of nowhere as well. Anyway Necron was a nasty cheap boss as well. FF8 had ultimecia who appeared out of nowhere as well. FF games have a nasty habit of pulling a 'zeromus' with the last boss.
    I never got the appeal of those uber-bosses in RPGs, especially ones with crazy healing moves. I'm not really sure the idea of a hundred plus hours of grinding just to beat a stupidly powerful enemy (Dark Aeons anyone?) is an achievement.

The Dark Aeons where ridiculous. They were only in the European version of the game and totally ruined the end game sidequests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Dark Aeons where ridiculous. They were only in the European version of the game and totally ruined the end game sidequests.

Was worse that they blocked certain parts of the game off, and you missed items and other stuff if you didnt go get it before, like Vaelfors "Crimson Ray" or whatever it was called that broke his damage limit. Or the Sun Crest or such ya needed for Tidus Ultimate weapon having Dark Bahamut guarding it.

Actually I say the bosses from the later 2/3 of ANY RPG, mainly due to being resistant to pretty much every status ailment you can use. Oh yay, poison/paralysis/silence/stone attacks, great if they worked against anything other than the lvl 2 enemies you could 2-shot 10 minutes into the game....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Alma from Ninja Gaiden Black.
    I hate that bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

By cheap...I was sort of referring to a boss who had nothing really to do with the game or its previous incarnations. As if it were thrown in at the end ...BECAUSE it was the end...and made extra difficult because of it.

yeah i remember that.the big blue dude.that was random alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Actually I say the bosses from the later 2/3 of ANY RPG, mainly due to being resistant to pretty much every status ailment you can use. Oh yay, poison/paralysis/silence/stone attacks, great if they worked against anything other than the lvl 2 enemies you could 2-shot 10 minutes into the game....

Bah I hate that! And status effects are barely ever worth using on the standard grunts, so I'd say I go through most RPGs without using them at all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

they were grand!
    Penance was the one to write home about.

Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts. CHEAP MOTHER FUKKER

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

This absolutely ridiculous bastard/bitch/mechanical yokey

haha that is insane!

Jazzy wrote: »
    they were grand!
    Penance was the one to write home about.

Not grand for me. I just wanted to do some sidequests so I could get a bit more backstory and passively level for the last boss but those stupid dark aeons blocked off all the sidequests which meant if I wanted a chance against them I'd have to spend hours of over levelling to get past them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Does TTFAF from GH3 count ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Don't get me started on those assholes. It wouldn't be too bad if they didn't block every single place in the game. Usually I like pricking about and completing all the side quests and all the small stuff but they just made it impossible to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

seriuos Sam on Serious difficulty.

Just add mob/boss name here:

And as "cheap" i presume you talking aabout fights which are hard, but hard becouse bosses just use cheap moves and random/luck factor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ChrisBrady

Don't get me started on those assholes. It wouldn't be too bad if they didn't block every single place in the game. Usually I like pricking about and completing all the side quests and all the small stuff but they just made it impossible to do that.

You can't beat them without having all the top end weapons, and you can't get weapons because the lads are comfortable sitting on some of the stuff you need. Still, I found it fun trying them. I actually knocked 2 of them out. But it certainly was not easy. As for Penance, I read about him... I only wish!

Ruby and Emerald were also ridiculous! I don't think they can be beaten can they? Not without one of those super tricks involving Mime, which I never tried.

FF8,9, and X-2 had nothing that compared to FF7 and FFX.

Bring on 13!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Not grand for me. I just wanted to do some sidequests so I could get a bit more backstory and passively level for the last boss but those stupid dark aeons blocked off all the sidequests which meant if I wanted a chance against them I'd have to spend hours of over levelling to get past them.

Not exactly tactical, but from memory i think i just threw 100000 gil at yojimbo (or whatever his name was, the summoned samurai). At that cost you'd probably get his instant kill attack, if not, you'd get it within 2 more tries.

Bringing the game down to my level.

Well thats what I did as well but I ran out of gil and just didn't bother and went to take the last boss on. When I play the game again I'll play the american version with out the dark aeons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Alpha 152 from DOA4. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Well thats what I did as well but I ran out of gil and just didn't bother and went to take the last boss on. When I play the game again I'll play the american version with out the dark aeons.

such.a.n00b.

and you expect to beat me at sf4?
    tbh, the dark aeons arent that tough. once you beat one you can get through the others easy enough. even the delta sisters are beatable if you make them fight individually. a bit of levelling in the monster arena and picking the right party / sphere grid / equipment and your sorted. penance requires a whole decade of levelling to beat properly though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Heh. yeah i remember the dark aeons. The first couple were grand, fun even but then it started getting ridiculous. I did manage to beat the sisters eventually (if you focus on and kill the one that heals you're sorted), but that was not before i spent a minute or two trying to run away from them! I recall shouting 'wtf?!' when i first bumped into them, I thought they were going to offer me a present or a quest or something, not a painfully difficult battle; I didn't expect that at all.
    Dark Anima pissed me off the most though as he kept inflicting status ailments on everyone and finding ways to shatter them so that they couldn't be revived - now thats a cheap move! I wasn't arsed going around looking for ribbons so i just gave up after that. Come to think of it - didn't ruby weapon have a way to get completely rid of one of your characters too? That was cheap!

Other cheap bosses - Seth is a prick, as are most end bosses in beat em ups. Can't really think of too many others that aren't from the time when all games were just hard anyways so none stand out. I guess the last level in Ouendan is cheap. Easy to lose and really difficult to start again due to the stupid long opening sequence - i'll never finish that game :(

Advertisement