Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spiral arms

Options
  • 07-11-2009 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

when we look at the milky way (the visible streak) whoch arm or what are we looking at? (where are those stars located - are they on a spiral arm?)

I read that in 2008 ish they found out there are only 2 spiral arms as opposed to four
    but
    in the pictures they showed there I can still see four spiral arms?
    :confused:

Again - thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Im just going to reply here to get this post back up the list so that someone else can read it and reply! I don't know the answer, but want to know. I do know, however, that we ourselves are in one spiral arm, albeit the outer one. Therefore, we cannot actually view this arm directly but can only inferit's presence by studying distances to nearby stars.

I think that the definition of a spiral arm is rather undefined too because as you get closer to the galactic core, the 'arms' must surely begin to merge and then which ones do you count as two arms (or three...?).

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Coolio.

I really want to know the answer to this - curiosity is a ... :).

Advertisement