Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

film users, how many camera bodies?

• 07-11-2009 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

I will have a second eos300v next week. could even add a 3rd in the near future

I shoot ,slide 100,free fujicolor 200,b&w 400,b&w1600

the slide film/mostly provia 100f is usually for special occasions so if its in the camera its there for at least 2-3weeks so the camera is no good for every day use(10euro for 36exp roll plus 12.50 for develop and mount, alot of money when you dont have much!), whereas other film I use works out at 3-8euro total cost per 36shutter actuations

anytime one of my cameras is loaded with b&w it gets sporadic use, not good for sunsets,skys or landscapes(for me anyway)

is it common to have many slr's loaded with different film?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

the slide film/mostly provia 100f is usually for special occasions so if its in the camera its there for at least 2-3weeks so the camera is no good for every day use(10euro for 36exp roll plus 12.50 for develop and mount, alot of money when you dont have much!)

Check with KatieMaloe She works in the blanchardstown camera centre and has manged to work up a deal on dev cost. She might be able to bring your over all cost down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Check with KatieMaloe She works in the blanchardstown camera centre and has manged to work up a deal on dev cost. She might be able to bring your over all cost down.

thanks for that but Ive decided to use Gunns, very happy with their service and film stock price! had a deal of 1euro a roll(develop only) in another place but quality might not be as good there and they cant do push processing

oh you mean slide development? im a bit sleepy sorry

i get that down on abbey street, the will do it unmounted for 8.50. i dont use a projector but mounted slides seem better for storage and organising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I had 4 film bodies, 2 SLR's, 1 RF and a half frame compact. I sold one of the SLR's as it wasn't getting much use.

Generally I'll have different film in the SLR and the RF, I only shoot negative film so it'll be colour in one and B&W in the other.

I've a hankering for more film cameras but my DSLR is getting neglected so I'm trying to restrain myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

oh you mean slide development? im a bit sleepy sorry

i get that down on abbey street, the will do it unmounted for 8.50. i dont use a projector but mounted slides seem better for storage and organising

Unmounted and cut into strips of 6 for me, I scan so getting them mounted would be a PITA. I shoot much more print than slide though, the cost diffrential is too high.

And yes, at the moment I have...
    An F100 with a roll of ektar
    An FE2 with a roll of tri-x which I'm shooting at 1100 and plan to develop in diafine.
    An F4 which, once i get an external finder, will be used t shoot some efke aura which i just got (its the only 35mm I have with permanent mirror lockup)
    An olympus XA which has another roll of ektar, this is my normal carry around camera.
    A vivitar UWS which is waiting for me to get to some unicare pharmacy for some cheap fuji 200

Then in Medium format I have a couple of bronica 120 backs, one with a half finished roll of neopan 400 and another waiting for some portra 800 because I've gotten guilty about not shooting the SQai enough. Also a half finished polaroid pack of fuji.

And thats just the cameras that I have film in :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I have a bit too big a collection of film bodies;

35mm Rangefinders, I have two, a Zorki 4K and a Canonet GIII QL. I use them when I don't want the bulk of an SLR, and want something discreet. Generally, I'll have the free 200 speed film in the Zorki and fast B&W film in the Canonet (1600 or 3200).

35mm SLR's, I've a few, mostly older models built like bricks that I can take anywhere and not mind using/breaking. They're loaded with cheap/free film - I'm not too worried if they break, and I don't want to put in 'good film' incase previous war wounds do more damage.

Medium format, my main cameras are a Hasselblad, a Mamiya 645 and a TLR - I usually keep 400 speed B&W in the 'Blad, colour in the Mamiya and whatever I'm feeling fancy with in the TLR. Then usually I have 400 speed B&W in a Holga and 400 speed colour in a Diana.

Large format is just a collection of darkslides. Tbh, I mostly keep it B&W, just because of ease of use. Even then, I'm getting p'd off with developing it (Or spending 4 quid a pop on a sheet), so I've not used it in ages. I've 10 sheets of Type 55 on the way to me before christmas though.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'm getting p'd off with developing it (Or spending 4 quid a pop on a sheet), so I've not used it in ages.

... concerned about cost ... check
    Fajitas! wrote:
    I've 10 sheets of Type 55 on the way to me before christmas though.

DOES NOT COMPUTE !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Eos 500 here, not done much with it but getting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Does anyone have a way of keeping track of what film is in what? I keep forgetting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

As of today I am now the proud owner of 2 film bodies :D.

I recieved a Lubitel 166b today. It had a film loaded in it half used. I didn't know and opened up the back and exposed the whole thing :pac:. Anyway, it meant I got a free film to mess around with and learn how to load, unload, wind to next exposure, etc.

I also have an old olympus P&S which I've learned to love to bits. What ever dirt has got into the camera it has caused it to produce lovely shots. Looking forward to developing the next film on it. Only 20 more shots to go

• Advertisement

sineadw wrote: »
    Does anyone have a way of keeping track of what film is in what? I keep forgetting...

All my nikons have either the little window at the back or the little slot where I can jam in the top of the film box as a reminder. Both bronnie backs have the same thing, I normally fold up the tab on the start of the 120 roll and munge it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

DOES NOT COMPUTE !
    I've also shot about 100 sheets of Type 600/779 in the last 3 months. Maybe two months.

Polaroids; My only vice...

(But I'll make you jealous all the same - I'm being given the Type 55's :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Does anybody swap rolls between bodies mid-roll? I do it a fair bit between my XA and my Eos 300, cos one goes through the roll from the start, the other from the end. All you need to remember is what frame you were on and maybe leave a blank frame just in case. Bit of a pain, but it can be useful. 36 exposures is too many before I feel like switching!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I have two Russians, FED-2, Lomo LK-A, medium format TLR Flexaret III, waterproof camera from Lidl and my trusty old steed - Pentax MZ-6 that served me well more than 8 years.
    And my latest toy to be tested in Phoenix Park taking picture of the US embassy - Zenit Photo Sniper. Also from Russia :D

Edit for Sineadw: If there is no window at the back of the camera for part of the paper box from the film, shoot so much so you end up always with empty camera :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

I have a few film bodies:

Two Canon AE-1P's one 50mm/28mm one 70-200mm both loaded with fuji free

An Olympus OM-1n 50mm/f1.4currently 400 Slide or 400 Ilford B&W ocassionally fuji free

A Zorki 4K which I keep in fairly fast B&W, I really like the constrast on the Jupiter-8 lense

I'm looking to aquire a FM2n or a F2 and another OM1n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    As of today I am now the proud owner of 2 film bodies :D.

I recieved a Lubitel 166b today. It had a film loaded in it half used. I didn't know and opened up the back and exposed the whole thing :pac:. Anyway, it meant I got a free film to mess around with and learn how to load, unload, wind to next exposure, etc.

I also have an old olympus P&S which I've learned to love to bits. What ever dirt has got into the camera it has caused it to produce lovely shots. Looking forward to developing the next film on it. Only 20 more shots to go

Lubitel 166b where did ya get that from ?

Burnt wrote: »
    I have a few film bodies:

Two Canon AE-1P's one 50mm/28mm one 70-200mm both loaded with fuji free

An Olympus OM-1n 50mm/f1.4currently 400 Slide or 400 Ilford B&W ocassionally fuji free

A Zorki 4K which I keep in fairly fast B&W, I really like the constrast on the Jupiter-8 lense

I'm looking to aquire a FM2n or a F2 and another OM1n

Go crazy, get an OM4!! Worlds best metering system ftw :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Chorcai wrote: »
    Lubitel 166b where did ya get that from ?

Got it on EBay for £26. Waiting on about 20 rolls of film for it. Bought a 35mm roll and crowbarred it into it today, and managed to use it all :D! I'll post the results in a new thread for the laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

I LOVE film :)
    I have 9 film cameras...

B43490FEF32D4E59A2A02EF20852F5A8-500.jpg

Lubitel 2, which I usually put 35mm into instead of 120

Canon EOS 30, with a 50mm1.8 and a 28-135IS. Love this camera, it does what I expect it to :)

Lomo fisheye. Funky and fun!

Kodak ektralite400, 110

Halina 35x, a 1960's manual camera. Very heavy. Leaking light unfortunatly but a beautiful camera, with the original leather case.

Fuji FZ3000, with extra external flash

Yashica Samurai, official 1988 grand prix camera, half frame, quite weird, with a sports grip, portrait flash and all original packaging and accessories. Makes a class "clunk" sound (not in the photo because its on holidays with Humberklog)

Olympus AZ330, which has a lens cap thats is also the remote control. A new addition but I'm really liking it!

Brownie 620 C haven't used this yet but planning to play with it this week.

I don't mind lending them out if anyone would like to try something different :)

katiemaloe wrote: »
    Brownie 620 C haven't used this yet but planning to play with it this week.

Hah. I have that exact same brownie. I managed to get a roll of 120 into it without too much difficulty, although I was helped by the fact that there was a 620 takeup spool in the camera that I could use for comparison. Some pics on my flickr stream linked in my sig. Tagged 'brownie' or something similar I'd imagine ...

I was al,ost about to get a samurai when I went through a brief half frame phase. I ended up getting a ricoh auto half instead. The clockwork advance is kinda neat ...

• Advertisement

No chance of replacing the light seals for the Halina?

Here's a video! http://www.revver.com/video/875601/35mm-camera-light-seal-foam-repair/

Hah. I have that exact same brownie. I managed to get a roll of 120 into it without too much difficulty, although I was helped by the fact that there was a 620 takeup spool in the camera that I could use for comparison. Some pics on my flickr stream linked in my sig. Tagged 'brownie' or something similar I'd imagine ...

I was al,ost about to get a samurai when I went through a brief half frame phase. I ended up getting a ricoh auto half instead. The clockwork advance is kinda neat ...

Thanks Daire, Ill have a look at your flickr :) I think I'll probably push a 35mm into the brownie. I am keen to play more with this and really like the way the film is exposed right out to the holes.
    I don't know that Ricoh... what's the model so I can google it?! I saw a ricoh mirai a while ago that lloks quite cool... mmm ebay! :)

Cheers for the link duffarama. Theres one for my long to do list! :)

Cheers for the link duffarama. Theres one for my long to do list! :)

There's no excuse for light leaks, hell I've even got repair centre manuals for some of my cameras :) just in case.

Oh and if you're interested n half frame, Olympus pen F is the king

PenFT_04_m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Started messing with film this summer... have 2 olympus trip 35's and a trip clone. Fed 5 and Yashica 35 GSN rangefinder. SLRs: Pentax MX, Ricoh XR-2 and Zenit 3m (which is currently in pieces)... I guess I've probably been more about the cameras than the photos, but do plan to get some good use out of the cameras in the next few months

duffarama wrote: »
    Oh and if you're interested n half frame, Olympus pen F is the king

Is that yours duffarama ??!!?? An all black FT ? Thats one gorgeous camera.
    Yeah Fs and FTs were on my list aswell, there are some really nice lenses for them. They were always pretty expensive though, and they've just gotten even more so now that olympus reminded everyone about them by releasing that digital thing using the same name.

Is that yours duffarama ??!!?? An all black FT ? Thats one gorgeous camera.
    Yeah Fs and FTs were on my list aswell, there are some really nice lenses for them. They were always pretty expensive though, and they've just gotten even more so now that olympus reminded everyone about them by releasing that digital thing using the same name.

Unfortunately no, that's not mine, it is beautiful though.
    I actually like the new pen series, it and the panasonic GF1 have me considering selling all my DSLR equipment and going mirror free. Also the new pen takes old pen lenses via an adaptor and looks amazing!

I even know the set up I want with a micro camera, the Lumix 20mm f1.7 and a Voigtlander 40mm f1.4

As for the pen I own, it looks like this

510855796_a8feb1d1b4.jpg

I want a Pen :( Must... not... buy... any... more... cameras...

I have a Fed 2 and a Canonet QL19 (which is think is permanently stuck on f5.6?), a Flexaret V and Lubitel TLR, 2 Cosina (pentax K mount) SLRs with various lenses (one of them has a teensy dead spider in it :) ) 2 polaroid 600s, a kodak instamatic that I STILL haven't remembered to order 126 cartridges for (I think I can reload them with 35mm?) and an ITT magicflash that I want to put some film through but haven't been able to find anywhere to get it that's not charging stupid amounts for 110. Oh and a Lomo Oktomat that I nick off the better half when he's not looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

sineadw wrote: »
    I want a Pen :( Must... not... buy... any... more... cameras...

I share your pain; the first time I saw a Pen i need to have it, still haven't gotten around to it but someday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

bah, you's all make me want to spent monies i dont have :(

Think my old praktika with screw on lenses is still in my parents attic, must pick it up next time :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I will have a second eos300v next week. could even add a 3rd in the near future

I shoot ,slide 100,free fujicolor 200,b&w 400,b&w1600

the slide film/mostly provia 100f is usually for special occasions so if its in the camera its there for at least 2-3weeks so the camera is no good for every day use(10euro for 36exp roll plus 12.50 for develop and mount, alot of money when you dont have much!), whereas other film I use works out at 3-8euro total cost per 36shutter actuations

anytime one of my cameras is loaded with b&w it gets sporadic use, not good for sunsets,skys or landscapes(for me anyway)

is it common to have many slr's loaded with different film?

Hehe...thought I'd dig this one up.

Just bought a Canon EOS300V with a battery grip and a 28-105 lens on adverts. Came in the original box and is as new.

I'm planning on messing about with either film or slides for a bit of fun.

So where's all this free film that used to pop up now and then?
    I had a dozen rolls of film but I gave them away to someone here. Should we have another Film Meet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

Lomo fisheye. Funky and fun!

I was thinking about picking one of these fellas up. Love the fisheye effect but whats the widest aperture? They're fairly cheap so it hardly gets wider than f/5.6 does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Hehe...thought I'd dig this one up.

Just bought a Canon EOS300V with a battery grip and a 28-105 lens on adverts. Came in the original box and is as new.

I'm planning on messing about with either film or slides for a bit of fun.

I had a dozen rolls of film but I gave them away to someone here. Should we have another Film Meet?
    There's still some around so might be worth calling places. Try John in Unicare Artane and ask if he has any. There was still some there at the start of January anyway, just not in massive quantities. I'm sure some members here still have some to spare. I had a good bit so I gave a load to Kintaro H a few weeks ago.

gerk86 wrote: »
    I was thinking about picking one of these fellas up. Love the fisheye effect but whats the widest aperture? They're fairly cheap so it hardly gets wider than f/5.6 does it?

They are a very cheap plastic camera, not much better quality than a disposable to be honest. It doesn't even say what apeture it is. They are fun though. Outdoor photos usually work better but there is a flash for indoor pics too. I think Gunns stock them. Urban outfitters do too but I reckon they would be more expensive there though. You're very welcome to borrow mine for a while if you want to play with it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Been thinking of another flim meet myself lately think sometime after the 14th would be good.
    If it happens I can bring you 20-40 rolls of the free film.

• Advertisement

Id definately be up for a film meet. Ill happily share cameras too if anyone would like to try something different. I just need a little bit of notice to book the day off work. :cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Me too.

To Pull and Bang, I was with John in Unicare today and he said he can still get boxes of the stuff from stores. He's just not going to clog the shop up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

You're very welcome to borrow mine for a while if you want to play with it. :)

much appreciated but i'm in Cork

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Been thinking of another flim meet myself lately think sometime after the 14th would be good.
    If it happens I can bring you 20-40 rolls of the free film.

Excellent! We'll have to send an SOS to our chief bottlewasher and filmmeetuporganiser - ACD and get his permission, approval,:D:D

I'm definitely up for another one now that I have an all singin' all dancin' SLR. The last one was great, especially getting to use the Contax.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

gerk86 wrote: »

think its a set f8 at 1/100th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

ive two bodies....

A vivitar 35es rangefinder and a minolta 7000 slr ;D

I have 14 film cameras now :D
    I must have given away 400 rolls of the fujicolor 200, got just over 200 left now I think but I'll be using most of them myself.

I actually really like the results from the film, alot of detail and not much grain, colors are nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My main camera is an Olympus OM-4 Ti which mostly gets fed either Velvia or Provia 100F. Also have an OM4 which has the Ti circuit.

Then there is an Olympus XA-2 and, a Nikon F600 and a vintage Canon which I can't remember the model of.

I think I have 8 lenses for the OMs - 9 if you count the fungus loupe - 3 lenses for the Canon and two lenses for the Nikon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Yv

Think my old praktika with screw on lenses is still in my parents attic, must pick it up next time :D

That just reminded me that I've had a recurring dream for a couple of nights now that I had an old Praktika... you know you're in trouble when you start dreaming about these things! :eek:

I've got about 10 film cameras but haven't gotten them all working yet. Getting there. At the moment I'm out of work & extremely broke though which has me using the digital mostly, as I can't afford the development costs - haven't used my lovely Meopta in about 6 months I'd say :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I have 3 film cameras.

1 Holga, 1 SLR Canon 3000, 1 TLR Lubitel 166b, I'm always on the look out for more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭asgaard

I have just only one: Nikon F75 with 28-80 lens

Any film meets coming up count me in please! I missed the last one..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have just agreed to buy another Film Camera.

I have, in Australia,

Nikormat FTn, Nikon F801 and a Nikonus III

Here I have a Canon EOS something (a freebie) and soon a Nikon F4s :D

CabanSail wrote: »
    a Nikon F4s :D

ooo sweet. That's probably my favourite nikon body. Mine just doesn't get out as much as it should do nowadays because my f100 is a lot lighter and, lets face it, a little more capable too. I don't think I could actually beat someone to death with the f100 though (and take pictures of the mangled corpse afterward) ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm thinking of getting another eos body so it's easier to swap between films I want to use without having to shoot a whole film. Heading to Japan in about a year so might hold out to get an Eos 1V HS and a Mamiya 7 second hand at a decent price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement