Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x07 "Earth" **SPOILERS**

Options
  • 07-11-2009 3:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 82,474 ✭✭✭✭

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale
    a tale of a fateful trip...

How do you rate "Earth" 65 votes

Body-Snatchtacular
    0% 0 votes
    McKay
    43% 28 votes
    Meh
    41% 27 votes
    N'O'Niell
    15% 10 votes
    Clubbed to death
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,474 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wow that was one hell of a glitch...

edit: Episode was 5 for 5. One thing I have finally noticed though that is probably putting off lots of people, it the Music. There is almost None of the background theme music that was prevalent in SG-1 and Atlantis. It suddenly got me thinking this might be why the episodes seem a bit differently paced. Give that a thought.
    Really confused by the ending there. Like, Really confused. Gonna have to rewatch. Because Rush "Faked" the dialing mishap? But he also says he PRevented a dialing mishap. So Im fairly fecking confused. I know he did Force Telford to show his true colors with the Cut and Run. I just am not all that clear why and what happened. Did Young just effectively give Homeworld Command the Finger?

And once again. Poor Eli. That would just have done my head right in.

And yes Im nice about my fecking spoilers I know some of you might like knowing wether I thought it was good or not without me shouting DUMBLEDORE IS GAY AND HE DIES AT THE END.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Overheal wrote: »
    And yes Im nice about my fecking spoilers I know some of you might like knowing wether I thought it was good or not without me shouting DUMBLEDORE IS GAY AND HE DIES AT THE END.

WTF DUDE?!?! OMFG?!? HAZORZ F00L?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Oh my god. What a mind fuk of an episode. Thats about as complex an episode as I have ever seen. The whole Young/Telford/Mrs Young thing is freaking me out. I was in shock that I'm actually watching stargate! :eek:

also..... Who was the girl singing at the club, they gave her a bit too much screen time. She'll have a lot of sci-fi fans now.

Rush is great. I hope he is preventing them from getting home. That'd be deadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

hehe the ending ;) Telford is gonna screw the wife now without her knowing its not the right guy :eek: ouch

yes quite a memorable episode will have to rewatch as theres alot of detail yet again

and quite a few jokes, nice to know thats still present in stargate :)

those stones are an excellent plot device! oh and is it me or O'Neill has turned into a right ahole now that hes a General?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That was really great stuff. Rush was taking a huge risk with the bluff.
    Interesting implication at the end... that can only end badly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Loved the Philip Fry name drop. Futurama is brilliant.

This episode was mental. My bets are on Mrs Young visiting Destiny and trying to find out about the relationship of Young and TJ. TJ is hot.

yes I sure hope they revisit these stones again they make for an interesting plot device

each week we learn a bit more about the characters and destiny

next week looks like its gonna be back to traveling thru the gate to another planet in "Time" and some time travel?
    A team from Destiny arrives on a jungle planet, where they find a kino with footage of themselves they haven't shot yet.

damn this whole waiting a week to watch another episode i so got used to watching whole seasons back to back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Great ep. So we learned why TJ was leaving the base! Never thought of that one.

I think Telford's been having it off with Youngs wife all along. It seemed to easy for her to do it with Young in Telfords body.

Poor Eli, that lad seems to be getting the bum deal alright.

Rush staging the dialling was good, I liked that the others cut and run. Really shows Telford for what he is.

We also got to see Destiny fire her weapons, and damn has she a lot of em!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

I thought it was the worst episode yet. It was so boring, I kept looking at the time hoping it was nearly over. It seemed to be crammed with so many unnecessary scenes :(

wahoo my 100 post in 7 years:D

sutty wrote: »
    oh hey yeah. good spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Such an enjoyable episode, I laughed out loud on Rush's intrigue! Tight trick!

And finally something interesting going on with Young's soppy marriage plot. Looks like it's actually leading up to something.

Good writing overall, and Camille Wray got a bit of time too. Chloe is still useless tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

although it was a very good episode the sooner that thing is destroyed the better, leave it to open for manipulation, i dont really like that earth has so much control over destiny, i know young pretty much told them that, but i dont think telford will care much,

poor eli even in a good looking body he still didnt score, he danced and then left what an idiot:D, and chloe should have punched her ex,

also i must ask does anyone know if destiny has energy weapons or projectile weapons, cause im sure they were projectile weapons being fired, you think they would conserve any amunition they have for the future,

i think im ready for some alien interacton now, in a big way, we need some actual interaction with humans or whatever is in that part of the universe,

don ramo wrote: »
    although it was a very good episode the sooner that thing is destroyed the better, leave it to open for manipulation, i dont really like that earth has so much control over destiny, i know young pretty much told them that, but i dont think telford will care much,

poor eli even in a good looking body he still didnt score, he danced and then left what an idiot:D, and chloe should have punched her ex,

also i must ask does anyone know if destiny has energy weapons or projectile weapons, cause im sure they were projectile weapons being fired, you think they would conserve any amunition they have for the future,

i think im ready for some alien interacton now, in a big way, we need some actual interaction with humans or whatever is in that part of the universe,

they looked like bolts/balls of energy, might explain why it drained power so quick

at least we know it has big guns :D

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

did anyone try emailing the address the chick wrote on elis hand?

missed that :D no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I hate Telford more and more.

I really like Rush's character. He seems a likeable bad guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

Enjoyed it overall.
    Every episode appears to end with everyone on Destiny thinking about Rush's intentions. Leaves me...wondering about whether the writers even know what the duckling is going on. Seems like 'Lost' syndrome to me.
    Interested to see why Telford went to Young's wifes house.
    Either:
    1. He's going to use her to manipulate Young.
    2. He's going to tell her something about Young and TJ on Destiny.
    3. He's going to tell her he's Young and he's boinking TJ
    4. He's going to hit that!

There are so many more options...

I hate Telford more and more.

I really like Rush's character. He seems a likeable bad guy.

Ba'al! :D

One thing I have finally noticed though that is probably putting off lots of people, it the Music. There is almost None of the background theme music that was prevalent in SG-1 and Atlantis. It suddenly got me thinking this might be why the episodes seem a bit differently paced. Give that a thought.

Just rewatched a couple of key scenes and you're absolutely right!
    In some scenes it seems like it's less Stargate, and more of something like the office, with no backing music so it relies on the silence to actually feed the comedy.
    This is the absolute opposite of what this series needs!
    The music will intensify the drama, and can even make some acting seem better.

The only time i actually noticed some substantial music, is on Eli; i.e. when he stuck his arm into the event horizon in 'water', when he saw Scott and Chloe kissing, with his mother in this ep.
    It's either lazy work by the producers, or, in my honest opinion, the wrong way to go about this.

Also would like to see some proper opening titles VERY SOON!
    Am getting severely sick of the current lead-in to the show.
    Even SGA had an overture in the first episode.

Its a different way to go for sure. but it is meant to be completely different. I believe the promos SyFy has been running have paraphrased it as "reinventing the Wheel".

However you have to admit, the scenes where background music is added, are made all the more dramatic and intesnified. Such as the 9th Chevron sequence, and the Sun Recharge. In comparison one might argue that the bombardment of theme background music into stargate kinda cheapened it a bit. They had like 12 jingles, one for comedy, one for tension, one for Dun Dun Dunnn!!, etc.

• Advertisement

oh and the recharge in this ep seemed a little over the top, i mean it just burst out of FTL right in front of the sun,

not that im being picky:D

still a brilliant episode

oh and the recharge in this ep seemed a little over the top, i mean it just burst out of FTL right in front of the sun,

not that im being picky:D

still a brilliant episode
    I think what happened the first time was they overdrained the ship when Young tried to dial earth. Destiny didnt find the next suitable star in enough time. This time they did it slowly using the Weapons system and were better able to safely trigger Destiny's recharge routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Gareth-W-A wrote: »
    Ba'al! :D

Nah, he seems like a baltar with a backbone.

Its a different way to go for sure. but it is meant to be completely different. I believe the promos SyFy has been running have paraphrased it as "reinventing the Wheel".

However you have to admit, the scenes where background music is added, are made all the more dramatic and intesnified. Such as the 9th Chevron sequence, and the Sun Recharge. In comparison one might argue that the bombardment of theme background music into stargate kinda cheapened it a bit. They had like 12 jingles, one for comedy, one for tension, one for Dun Dun Dunnn!!, etc.

I agree, but it worked!
    You only need one very simple idea or theme to form an entire soundtrack.
    Then all you need to do is pull it around a bit so it might play along better with the action.
    I don't think that the music being reused cheapened the show at all.
    It keeps that same flavour that we loved in SG1.
    The theme use in the O'Neill-awkward-silence-cos-he-hasn't-a-clue-what-carter-just-said theme is just classic!

Gareth-W-A wrote: »
    The theme use in the O'Neill-awkward-silence-cos-he-hasn't-a-clue-what-carter-just-said theme is just classic!
    or when teal'c raises and eyebrow in an awkward situation:D

or when teal'c raises and eyebrow in an awkward situation:D

I may be wrong here, but i remember most instances of that are accompanied by a comical pause.
    The silence says more than any music could in my opinion:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Sarn

sutty wrote: »

Wasn't that implied in the first episode? Good to get confirmation though.

I can see why Greer decked Telford. He really showed his true colours when the gate sequence messed up. You'd never have seen Jack or Carter do that.

With all the tranfers of consciousnees you would imagine that they would send experts on ancient tech to help get the systems up and running and switch out those who are really useless. I'm sure there'd be plenty dieing to go.

Sarn wrote: »
    With all the tranfers of consciousnees you would imagine that they would send experts on ancient tech to help get the systems up and running and switch out those who are really useless. I'm sure there'd be plenty dieing to go.

You KNOW Carter and Daniel would be dying to have a looksie.
    In a real world, O'Neill wouldve gone for a visit already!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thought they really used the stones to good effect here - they actually had people swap in to try and help Destiny. They should be doing it all the time (e.g. swap in a doctor when somebody is sick) but at least it was explored here.
    I liked how they also touched on the fact people are in different bodies a lot more - Eli getting almost to score (and becoming more likeable) but unable to tell his mum for example.

Telford was shown to be a bit of a dick here (well even more so). The fact that Rush had manipulated events was smart although a risky ploy (to a degree since he claimed he set the limits just right for effect but no danger). Rush is probably still the most interesting character and I can't see him as a bad guy - he's just a tad manipulative and not a people person (the greater good and all).

The ending was interesting - will Telford play himself off as Young then? That's some nasty stuff right there. I'm guessing we'll see some sort of body swap story line in the future where somebody on 'Destiny' has been swapped out but nobody else knows.

I have to say the lack of music doesn't bother me as too many shows overdo it and it irritates me no end. I'm not even a fan of the montage music most programmes seem to wrap up with. It helps distinguish the show a bit more by a quieter score, more music by artists, etc. Using it for key scenes only and not every minute (like "Desperate Housewives" or something) makes it more memorable as Overheal touched upon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Those body swap scenes were ace!....can you imagine swapping bodies in the middle of sex!
    Wow!...i guess he liked it and went back for more with wifey, thing is....the wife must like the body of the guy being inhabited by Young. Weird scerario that has loads of scope to explore. Eli is a loser....can't even get laid with another guys body!

Excellent ep. all round.

Advertisement