Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x07 "Earth" **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Gareth-W-A wrote: »
    You KNOW Carter and Daniel would be dying to have a looksie.
    In a real world, O'Neill wouldve gone for a visit already!
    McKay is the foremost expert in ancient tech, followed by zelenka, at least one of these should be around for advice,

also nice to see the IOA arent getting things there own way, what difference does it make if wray is there now or if someone esle is placed there later, nice to see wray stand up for herself in the end, i hope she comes into it more as she seems more of a backround caracter so far, and there must be some good manipulative stories for her to take part in,

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It would be cheap to bring them in. I wouldnt expect to see them this season anyway. It would make the show seem weak. Atlantis did plenty fine without any help from its parent, and SGU gets enough face time with Homeworld Command as it is.

somuj wrote: »
    I thought it was the worst episode yet. It was so boring, I kept looking at the time hoping it was nearly over. It seemed to be crammed with so many unnecessary scenes :(

wahoo my 100 post in 7 years:D
    Good lord you must have really hated it then o_0 The keyboard wont bite!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I think it's pretty clear now that Telford and Youngs wife were fooling around long before this but was it before or after Young was with TJ?
    ei.sdraob wrote: »

hehe the ending ;) Telford is gonna screw the wife now without her knowing its not the right guy :eek: ouch

sutty wrote: »
    Great ep. So we learned why TJ was leaving the base! Never thought of that one.

I think Telford's been having it off with Youngs wife all along. It seemed to easy for her to do it with Young in Telfords body.

The stones were used well in this episode, but I'm still hoping they fail or get damaged since they can{/have} left way to may {possible} plotholes.

Did anybody else notice the gate sequence was a bit weird? Will have to re-watch the other episodes to make sure I'm not just sleep deprived.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

don ramo wrote: »
    McKay is the foremost expert in ancient tech, followed by zelenka, at least one of these should be around for advice,

Ya wanted to point that out as well - few plot holes developing. Wht now get McKay, zelenka and carter out there and try sort the ship out?

Also the ship is much older than Atlantis, hasnt someone tried checking the ancient database and figured out how the whole thing works, get the password and send it to Rush?

Think they need to tidy this up ......."all files hidden in database, lost to the replicators, wraith destroyed the only manual.........etc.........."

• Advertisement

Damn you Roomic_Cube,

I see this as a challange now!!!!

I can make out the "Mindy1905" bit but the rest is a blur, plus what the hell is the thing before the ".com" ?

yLKeX.jpg
    did anyone try emailing the address the chick wrote on elis hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Damn you Roomic_Cube,

I see this as a challange now!!!!

I can make out the "Mindy1905" bit but the rest is a blur, plus what the hell is the thing before the ".com" ?

yLKeX.jpg

mindy1905@hotmail.com:p

wishful thinking I might add

I found a "tweet" about it and that person said it is not real, so I went to register it and it's already taken :pac:
    somuj wrote: »
    mindy1905@hotmail.com:p

wishful thinking I might add

Edit:

Is there anybody on this forum that as CSI like skills with PhotoShop?
    ....Zoom....Zoom....Rotate 12 degrees... Enhance....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

This episode didnt blow me away, i thought the whole night club seen wasnt needed and the whole focusing on the singer just anoyed me. Personnaly i dont need the long sex scences and prefer action.

I did like finding out the exact position of the Stargate on Destiny. I thought it was in the Piramid section but it turns out its in the long shaft leading from it.

normal_sgu_107_0953.jpg

sgu_107_0834.jpg

It also turns out Destiny is a bit of a beast when it comes to fire power, it has a bigger arsenal than i thought.

sgu_107_0880.jpg

In theory Energy wepons should be usless against Destiny if it can withstand flying into a Sun.

but it can only survive flying into the sun cause the sun gives it so much power, that the sheilds can be at full power as long as its in the sun, which is why they tried to dial the gate in the sun,

it would be hard to get through destinys shields, but if the ship doesnt recharge they will eventually fail,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm intrigued by the "80% of the ship is inaccessible" comment.

Bit of the Atlantis type scenario goin on where they can discover something cool right under their noses if they want.

Is it just me or is it hard to think of SGU as Stargate. I just can't imagine Rodney McKay on Destiny. It just wouldn't work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Best episode to date by far but at this point in the show I feel we should of just finished watching the pilot rather than be 6 hours into the series.

The whole lack of air and water crap along with all the love angle drama should of been place further into the season imho.

GSPfan wrote: »

Bit of the Atlantis type scenario goin on where they can discover something cool right under their noses if they want.

Is it just me or is it hard to think of SGU as Stargate. I just can't imagine Rodney McKay on Destiny. It just wouldn't work for me.

but in atlantis case it wasnt that it was inaccessable, it was more the size of the place, parts were flooded but they were still accessable if they wanted to go there, and now that atlantis is on earth im sure enourmus teams of scientists are going through the city,

im gonna say that they will deffinately find some info on atlantis that will help the destiny crew gain full control of the ship,

when is the question, probably before seasons end,

FYP
    don ramo wrote: »
    but in atlantis case it wasnt that it was inaccessable, it was more the size of the place, parts were flooded but they were still accessable if they wanted to go there, and now that atlantis is on earth im sure enourmus teams of scientists are going through the city,

im gonna say that they will deffinately find some info on atlantis that will help the destiny crew gain full control of the ship,

when is the question, probably just as the stones stop working and before seasons end,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Another solid episode. Nothing spectacular, but now that I know what to expect from the show I'm starting to really like it again. (I.e. not disappointed by lack of action)

As said above, they seem to have turned O'Neill into an a-hole (or 'the man' as O'Neil would refer to his type) to make him fit into the style of the show, so I'd imagine if McKay turns up he'll be a slightly different character, being more dramatic and have a more realistic skill set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

There has been 7 episodes right. How much time has passed in the series since the crew arrived on Destiny?

Air 1,2,3 Id say is less than 24hrs. Remember dialling the gate was 12hours of that.

Darkness, we know rush passes out for 10hours - and that this is the first hes slept since Air, so I dont think theres been much if any time between Air and Darkness.

Light, "in just over a day this ship with fly into a star"

Water, another 12 hour gate session, and if the rate of water consumption by the aliens is constant, it supports the idea that only a few days have passed since Air.

Also at the end of Water one of the crew is complaining that he was scheduled to use the communication stones.

What Im deducing from all of the above ie
    A)Very little time has actually passed, prob between 3 and 5 days.
    B)During most of that time there were urgent issues to be resolved, and it looked like the ship might not survive

Thats why teams of experts havent been sent in.
    And Im sure they've been busy working the problem on Earth, which isnt how to work the ships systems, its to get ppl home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

That's how it is supposed to be.

The Atlantis crew were all headhunted to go.

The Destiny Crew are simply those for whom it was go or die.

They don't have the full skillset required but they have enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I couldnt imagin any of the SGA characters on SGU, they would appear to cartoon like next to them.

In a future episode
    according to an interview with Shanks he will appear as part of a series of Rush's flashbacks etc. so it wont quite be as lame or predictable as sending Danny up there to do stuff as it would be fleshing out how Rush is likely every bit as intelligent and trained up when it comes to ancient tech. Pretty much eliminating the need for any of that bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Another really good episode from the guys and gals at SGC.

I hope Miles O'Brien is a permanent addition to the cast.

Good to see Rick being used a fair bit too.

The ending was excellent.

5/5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

lol Telford and Young body swap during "business time" was hilarious.

Seems like no one in this can keep it in their pants, Scott getting t off and challenging Kirk for the most chicks slept with title and now Youngs missus getting it on with the boys! lol.

Soooo so so utterly sick of Eli now, if you switched over into one of his scenes you'd have to double check it wasnt one tree hill. He's a dope, sad pathetic "Longing from a distance" looser. This isnt a teen rom com we dont care who gets the girl or what geek make a transformation! Errrgghhh fatty needs to man up big time. He does my head in. Nice to see though if ya body swap with someone they give ya a Porsche boxster to spin around in!

Loved the bit where telford and the others leg it for the stones when **** hits the fan. Really wanted Greer to pull the g36c and say stick around.

Overheal wrote: »
    In a future episode
    according to an interview with Shanks he will appear as part of a series of Rush's flashbacks etc. so it wont quite be as lame or predictable as sending Danny up there to do stuff as it would be fleshing out how Rush is likely every bit as intelligent and trained up when it comes to ancient tech. Pretty much eliminating the need for any of that bull****.
    Thanks Overheal for spoilering this properly.

Can other people please spoiler like the above if they are going to talk about future episodes.

There was a lot of talk about what should and shouldnt be spoilered, but I accidently read a spoiler about a future episode that I thought was just a spoiler about this episode.
    The spoiler
    was about a suicide coming up

Personally I think the thread should be readable by people who dont want to see spoilers. Its nice to get the hype and bits like I liked the music or firing the guns was really impressive but
    Rush faking the dialling problem
    should be spoilered.
    It gets you in the mood, and might focus your attention on something in a way that makes you appreciate the episode more.

But if youre going to spoiler something about a future episode you should definitely make it clear in the post that the spoiler related to a future episode

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Overheal wrote: »
    Wow that was one hell of a glitch...

edit: Episode was 5 for 5. One thing I have finally noticed though that is probably putting off lots of people, it the Music. There is almost None of the background theme music that was prevalent in SG-1 and Atlantis. It suddenly got me thinking this might be why the episodes seem a bit differently paced. Give that a thought.

Yeah, the lack of music does ratchet up the tension a bit alright. There was an episode of Buffy called the body which was a tense episode anyway but they deliberately left out any music at all that really made it even more so. It's very simple and effective.

Liked the episode. haha. Hell of a glitch alright. The look on LDP's face when he um.... came back (so to speak) was priceless

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

But if youre going to spoiler something about a future episode you should definitely make it clear in the post that the spoiler related to a future episode
    There are always people that can't get this right.

Spoiler about next episode:
    Eli takes some shrooms and meets Biggie & Tupac

It doesn't take much effort.

There were 2 or 3 future spoilers in this thread I didn't want to see. :mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Sherifu wrote: »
    There are always people that can't get this right.

Spoiler about next episode:
    Eli takes some shrooms and meets Biggie & Tupac

It doesn't take much effort.
    It's also in the sticky about discussing new episodes:
    * Within a clearly marked thread, I think it's fair not to have to use spoiler space UNLESS it's about an episode not yet aired (this includes the previews for next week's epsidoes too as I generally avoid them).

Folks, I don't want to have to edit a post about spoilers because then I'm being spoiled too and just pisses me off. So I'm going to get tougher on this and start carding people who offend.

My problem is that, while people are using spoilers, I presumed the spoilers related to the episode being discussed.

Lots of people out of courtesy are using spoilers about the episode being discussed, so I assumed all spoilered text unless otherwise stated was about this episode.

If you’re going to throw in a spoiler about a future episode into the middle of a thread where people are spoilering everything, can people please put in a prominent warning before the spoiler stating that the spoiler related to a future episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

My problem is that, while people are using spoilers, I presumed the spoilers related to the episode being discussed.

Surely nothing about the current episode should be spoiler tagged, including the bit about Rush and the dialing of Earth. This was in this episode, and this is the discussion of this episode, so if you haven't seen it yet, get out! Any spoiler tags could then presumed to be about future stuff, which you may not want to read.

Anyway, back to the episode, I thought it was OK, but not great. The glitches causing them to jump back and forward when the ship went in and out of FTL was good, the bit about TJ having it off with Young was good to find out.

Eli's pining is starting to grate a little. Time to move on dude. Even when she was rat-arsed, she called you a friend. Quit while you've still some dignity. I really hope this doesn't become any more of a triangle, we had enough of that in BSG.

What was Telford doing turning up at Mrs Young's house though? As someone else said, maybe he's already having an affair with her, and now he knows she's been seeing Young in Telford's body.

jor el wrote: »
    Surely nothing about the current episode should be spoiler tagged, including the bit about Rush and the dialing of Earth. This was in this episode, and this is the discussion of this episode, so if you haven't seen it yet, get out! Any spoiler tags could then presumed to be about future stuff, which you may not want to read.
    Its not required but for the first post or two I like to be cordial about it. a sort of last chance to turn back.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Just watched it for the second time. If it was not for the ridiculous night club scene and the pandering to Eli's mother and of course than useless sex scene then maybe the episode was not that bad.

I wonder if its possible to upgrade my vote:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I did hate the club scene too and the whole concept of being able to come back to Earth even if it's just through the stones does take a lot away from the tension IMO. I still liked the episode overall, but it is much better when they are stranded on the Destiny in pretty dire circumstances... Hopefully the stones will get blown out an airlock or something soon... but I doubt it.

Advertisement