Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x07 "Earth" **SPOILERS**

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

J-blk wrote: »
    Hopefully the stones will get blown out an airlock or something soon... but I doubt it.
    Not a chance I reckon. The producers have stated they serve a two-fold purpose:
    1) To allow characters to visit home and make those dramatic connections
    2) To allow them to film cheap Earth-based episodes and save on SFX, just as they would do with those stupid Trust episodes in SG1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I thought it was awful.

First off - why is Chloe on the ship? I know I know how she got there and why but I mean WHY did they write her whiney/trampy character in. She's just a tease with no talents or personality (her character that is). I heard when she was auditioning the producers liked her so much that they wrote in her character. I just don't get why her character gets such privileges (such as going home, wandering about, being involved in decisions) when she hasn't a clue. She was just there by chance and because of her dad.

Not gone on Eli. I thought he'd be interesting but this whole "math guy" persona is just too much. He's far too up himself. He should be more in awe of the whole thing and worrying about his mum than telling Rush/Young they should tell the others about situation x or y. BTW I did like the fact that he called himself Philip Fry. I just don't get why he has this confidence of being better (at times) than Rush (when he's not because Rush is holding back on stuff) when he has no qualifications/publications/job (you can understand why McKay has this personality). I would have thought Eli would be more humble.

I'm loving the Rush/Young clash. It's really interesting and refreshing. I love the fact that the scientist Rush isn't necessarily the most likeable character and for Young taking over a military command - if I were on that ship it'd seriously annoy me.

From the first two episodes they showed the cook - I thought they were going to set him up as something (the cook as a former navy SEAL) or even as a confidante for Rush.

It was obvious about TJ and Young. Notice how her surname sounds very familiar to a certain Scarlett celebrity?! It's not an accident either, she's the spitting image of her.
    Can't really see the chemistry between her and Young.

I liked Telford at first and now I'm unsure where they are going to go with this. As for O'Neill anyone else think he's gotten a bit chubby?

I felt this episode just dragged out. Imagine tuning in midway - would you even recognise it as a SG episode? The club scene was way too dragged out.

Can't wait till next week's episode. Hope they explore some more of the ship and feature some other characters - not whiney Chole, confident Eli (in his "math" ability not in getting the ladies) and pouty TJ. Not sure about Scott's past.

Is it me or is there not that many likeable characters? There's no comedic relief from an O'Neill type character, even Teal'c with so few lines was more likeable. I do love Rush's character being a sulky and moany like a teenager!

Sorry for the slight rant. I just had to get it out there. That last episode which only concentrated on 3 (2 of which are boring) characters. Can't wait to see what Rush is hiding and the future fights between him and Young.

Oh as for the previous spoiler:
    I think if any one hurts themselves it'd be Sgt. Riley.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

wyrn wrote: »
    Oh as for the previous spoiler:
    I think if any one hurts themselves it'd be Sgt. Riley.
    Is Riley not dead or touch and go?:confused:

Also bar the drawn out night club scene (it was good just could have been done shorter and better in my view), I really liked this episode.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Is Riley not dead or touch and go?:confused:

Also bar the drawn out night club scene (it was good just could have been done shorter and better in my view), I really liked this episode.
    Oh was that who it was. I thought that was Scott. Hmmmm, now I'm confused.

A sex scene in Stargate - who would have thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Only just noticed when looking at the pictures of Destiny, they didnt actually Fire the 2 massive cannons that are placed either side of the Stargate section of the ship. They only fired the smaller turrets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I think some of the criticism for the show is very harsh. I think you should all try watch the show at a time of day when you're in a good mood instead of after work or when you're tired. I don't think these things would bother you so much if ya did. :)
    I always try watch shows at night when I'm relaxed in bed or a Sunday mornin.

GSPfan wrote: »
    I think some of the criticism for the show is very harsh. I think you should all try watch the show at a time of day when you're in a good mood instead of after work or when you're tired. I don't think these things would bother you so much if ya did. :)
    I always try watch shows at night when I'm relaxed in bed or a Sunday mornin.

I realise I was a bit critical especially of Chloe (which I stand behind) but I do like SGU. I was determined not to like it. I'm not a fan of Robert Carlyle at all but I love his character (in a love/hate/mistrust/cheer on kind of way). After seeing the first episode (by accident - someone else had it on) - I was hooked. I thought by the trailers it was trying to be a version of BSG.

The only thing that's getting me is that there aren't many likeable or strong characters there. Apart from Rush the scientists are "wimpy/weak" and the military are "head strong" - very stereotypical. It's why Carter was a good character smart and part of the military. Compare her to Chloe and there's no contest. Ditto with Eli and Zelenka. Perhaps they'll give more depth to all of the characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

In my opinion the writing team has kind of backed themselves into a corner, and they can only crawl out of it very slowly.

With all the problems the crew of Destiny have right now, they won't be able to use the old fashioned stargate episode-by-episode format , with a different mission/enemy/problem each episode, for a long time. I think this is the main reason this show doesn't feel like a SG show.

However, if the writers were to decide to fix everything on the ship too soon to bring universe closer to the main stargate franchise, it would feel like a cheat and lazy production.

In my honest opinion, this is why the communication stones are so necessary. We are dealing with a limited number of characters, and limited interaction. Without the stones, the series would be progressing far too fast, and it would be impossible to settle into the show as a viewer.
    Right now is where they've found a good balance, in each episode, of momentum in the plot, and depth in the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I think they've backed themselves into a corner on purpose. I'm delighted they cant go down the route of episode after episode of gate travel. The stargate episodes should be events to look forward to. I am loving the new format of the show. I don't think I'd change a thing at the moment.

Actually the only thing I have concerns about are the timed off-destiny missions. If every mission is them having to go far away from the gate and then just narrowly getting back then I'd start to lose some of the excitement I feel now every week.

Great show so far. I'd ask everyone to have faith in the slow pace of the show. If it takes 3 seasons to get to know a character then so be it. Anyone who watched Prison Break should know the pitfalls of a show blowing its load in the first year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Read the transcript but will watch the episode tonight. Really like it so far bar the 4th epsiode. Gritty drama and it doesn't feel like a SG1 or SGA ep. But really enjoying the show so far. The stones idea is quite good, but i wonder how long it will take them before each epsiode becomes a trip through the gate episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

First off, good episode but only 3.5/5 for including so much of Chloe and Eli on earth. Loved the Futurama reference, the stones were used to great effect and Rush is really growing on me (never like Robert C before), his character will always have the "is he doing this for the good of the crew or himself" question hanging over him and i think the majority of viewers will believe he's putting the crew first, allowing more twists to come.
    The ending again was excellent and probably wont be answered fully in the next episode.

As for the go down the SG1/SGA route of one adventure/trip through the gate per episode I would imagine more "to be continued" style 2/3 episodes once they get more of the ship under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I think Telford suddenly snapping back to his body to find himself nobbing Young's wife was hilarious.

The facial expression was perfect, as was the comment afterwards.

Advertisement