Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous products = my rights in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

The link says that they will reimburse shipping costs on cerain rifles. I don't know what you should do about the lack of a receipt. Perhaps call their customer service. By the way, aren't rifles designed to be dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Not for the user!

Essentially the bullets are exploding in the chamber causing trauma to the users hands and face.

It would cost a couple of hundred euro to ship back to the US and they would gve you a coupon in exchange.

I was advised by remington to contact the gunshop in Ireland, I just wanted to know if i had any rights in Ireland before I do so.

A coupon would be useless in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

You don't want that!!!! Your best bet is to call customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Generally with a product recall, most companies will bend over backwards to help you out, put it this way they pay you 700 or 800 euro now or six months down the line you hand gets blown off they they pay you a couple of million.

Contact them and ask for their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Legally I don't think you have any rights here or it would be next to impossible to enforce them unless you actually got injured. The only thing you can do here is come to an agreement with the company.

Did you purchase the rifle in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

One question, OP, which may help us understand. Did you buy the rifle in Ireland?

Yes I bought it in Ireland.

I would have thought if it was a dangerous product it would be covered by irish/european consumer laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Return it to the shop where you purchased it. They should know about the recall on the item.

Otherwise, contact customer service in the states and say that you will return it if they reimburse you for the shipping or arrange for the shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Yes I bought it in Ireland.

I would have thought if it was a dangerous product it would be covered by irish/european consumer laws.
    If you purchased it in Ireland then you should maybe contact the seller. From my understanding, the first business to import the item into Europe is the business that is seen as the manufacturer in Europe and they are responsible for any liabilties with regards injuries etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

return the gun to the shop and inform them of the recall if they are not aware of it and if they refuse to handle the process you can ask for a refund as the gun is not fit for its purpose and is unsafe to use due to faults in workmanship etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Trauma,

Have a look see who the remi rep in ireland is and see if they will sort it out for you.

As an asside what sort of prices are you getting for shipping?

tbh i have not looked into it, but previously i shipped a firearm to ireland , it took me about 10 months, several legal difficulties ( had to be imported to the uk, then to a dealer in Cornwall) then to Ireland. all in probably cost me over 200 euro, I guess that shipping a firearm to the US would be problematic , with no guarantee that you would get the money back.

I will go back to the dealer once I know if there are any rights .

Advertisement