Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snake Issues

Options
  • 07-11-2009 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

I have a bit of a problem. My three year old cornsnake is the problem, bless her :D

Right, I haven't held her in nearly a year. I know - my fault. It's mainly because she tried to bite me and I suddenly got a fear of the snake. I now believe it's time to "reconnect" with my snake. I'm afraid to take it out because:

1. What happened the last time I tried to hold her.
    2. It's been so long since she was held.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

she probably now just goes straight into feeding mode when her viv is opened up?your most likely going to get tagged by her a couple of times again when starting to handle if your not confident, it dosnt hurt at all so you'll be fine, its more the shock/fright of it?but just open up and striaght in with confidence and pick her up, once out she shouldnt bite!just need the confidence?sorry i cant be better help!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

DOnt panic :-)..
    Touch the snake up and down its body, let it know you are there.
    When you are feeding the snake, use a feeding tongs or tweezers a long one, this way , when it sees the food on the tweezes, = feeding time, and when it sees your hand = handling time.
    Cut handling sessios to 10 - 15 minuted for a few weeks and lengthen it over time..Generally corn snakes arent that snappy anyway, id say you just caught her on a bad day.
    I get tagged by my anaconda and sonoran dwarf boa on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

cos! is spot on! just pick her up, even on a stick and ye'll be grand, sounds like she reacted to a movement when you got bitten.
    don't be over cautious when you pick up the snake, the will i/won't i hand movements are wavey and the snake thinks of food.
    from a stick to your hand and don't restrain the snake near the neck.
    midbody support all the way and you will be ok, go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Bono Vox wrote: »
    I have a bit of a problem. My three year old cornsnake is the problem, bless her :D

Right, I haven't held her in nearly a year. I know - my fault. It's mainly because she tried to bite me and I suddenly got a fear of the snake. I now believe it's time to "reconnect" with my snake. I'm afraid to take it out because:

1. What happened the last time I tried to hold her.
    2. It's been so long since she was held.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    im geussing the snake is 4-5 ft .
    when i first got my yellow anaconda it was a fu"ker for biting. but i ignored the bites and persisted with the handling and now it is soft as a puppy. the bites didnt hurt atall

"tap training" might work for you
    read through google and rfuk http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snakes/ and you will become more confident, confidence is the key, i use "tap training" on my burmese and he has never struk at me.

it is worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

im geussing the snake is 4-5 ft .
    when i first got my yellow anaconda it was a fu"ker for biting. but i ignored the bites and persisted with the handling and now it is soft as a puppy. the bites didnt hurt atall

"tap training" might work for you
    read through google and rfuk http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snakes/ and you will become more confident, confidence is the key, i use "tap training" on my burmese and he has never struk at me.

it is worth a try

My yellow anaconda was / is the same,, she doesnt bite as much but she is slowly getting there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

Good advice given by all. Corn bites aren’t too bad so if you get tagged again don’t let it put you off. I think this is the first time I ever heard of a corn biting

Advertisement