Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Photo

• 07-11-2009 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just got this in an e-mail.

Thought ye might appreciate it....

Place your cursor at the top of the photo. You will notice it is 6:10 PM. Bring the mouse down slowly over the photo without pressing the button on the mouse.

http://61226.com/share/hk.swf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I'd prefer to find out how to do it !! ...looks pretty cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,542 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It looks like 2 photos with a sliding alpha scale (transparency) and reduced brightness as you move from day to night. It was done in Adobe Flash. Pretty simple, but a nice effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Nah - its time lapse, its not alpha. You couldn't achieve that with alpha channel alone. Its a clever bit of action scripting that follows the mouse in Flash (its x and y co-ordinates) and displays the appropriate still from the time lapse sequence depending on where you are on the screen. I did something similar (but not as imaginative) for a thing last year..

Much as I hate Flash websites (I'm skiving of redeveloping one as I type) it's great for stuff like this. Nice find! I might try to replicate...

actually on second look - you could be right about the alpha! Nicely done...

I'd still like to replicate it with a proper time lapse though. Hmmm... coding cap on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Is it just me or are the buildings not straight?
    It's essentially a time lapse set up with the video and slider replaced by the mouse position to display the stills.

It's not a difficult thing to code (well I only use Matlab).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CaringIsCreepy

This is definitely not a time lapse. Notice the positions of the boats in the first and last frame, and then it is obvious that they do not move elsewhere throughout the time. I think it's a really nice effect, but I was also a little disappointed when I realised it was just two photos blended together :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

This is definitely not a time lapse. Notice the positions of the boats in the first and last frame, and then it is obvious that they do not move elsewhere throughout the time. I think it's a really nice effect, but I was also a little disappointed when I realised it was just two photos blended together :P

I was a little disapointed too......

Oh and welcome to boards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Would it be possible to replicate this by setting up an 80 minute time lapse and then adding in the scripting to make them blend?
    I'd love to understand the mechanics of putting together a shot like this. Can think of a couple of places it could be done.

DK32 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to replicate this by setting up an 80 minute time lapse and then adding in the scripting to make them blend?
    I'd love to understand the mechanics of putting together a shot like this. Can think of a couple of places it could be done.

absolutely - pretty simple...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

sineadw wrote: »
    absolutely - pretty simple...

It's the definition of pretty I'd be woried about.;)

OP, nice find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Snap Happy

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I'd prefer to find out how to do it !! ...looks pretty cool.

Ditto

nilhg wrote: »
    It's the definition of pretty I'd be woried about.;)

Its just a matter of putting a track on the x and y coordinates and then telling them to display a certain photo. I'm skiving off college work here already so I can't spend any time thinking about it, but I have a friend who is a Flash god I could ask if you're really interested?

Actually, just remembered Steve06 posted something very similar done in Flash (post #5). Stephen - you promised you'd post the FLA and you never did! Gentle reminder by Pm would work maybe? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

sineadw wrote: »
    Its just a matter of putting a track on the x and y coordinates and then telling them to display a certain photo. I'm skiving off college work here already so I can't spend any time thinking about it, but I have a friend who is a Flash god I could ask if you're really interested?

Actually, just remembered Steve06 posted something very similar done in Flash (post #5). Stephen - you promised you'd post the FLA and you never did! Gentle reminder by Pm would work maybe? :D

Go ahead and do your college work, all this is way over my head.

Be more in my line to go and take some pictures........

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well if it was saved as a video you could scrub the time slider to get the same effect.

If anyone wants to try a simple version of it in PS open the animation panel and add a few images to a layer stack. Add a few animation frames to the animation panel, the same number as in your layer stack. Click the icon that looks like the new layer icon.

Select the first frame and then go to the layers pallet and hide all the layers except the image you want to show first.

Then go to the second frame and select and go back to the layers pallet again and do the same for the second image.

Do this for all your frames.

Once this is done you can play your rough video by hitting the play (>) button in the animation panel.

Now we need to add tweens. This is the bit that blends frames together.

Select the first two frames with SHIFT click.
    Click the tween button on the animation pallet. It's to the left of the new frame button.

Add 5 frames or so. This will add the alpha blend effect mentioned above by inserting 5 frames that fade from frame one to frame two.

Add tweens for all your image transitions.

Now you can export a video or GIF file.
    (File>Export>Render Video or File>Save for Web)

When you load up your video scrub the slider back and forth to get the effect.

Of course in Flash you would use ActionScript to do all this with your base images and track the mouse position rather than the video silder.

Advertisement