Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone "free" Irish swindle!!.

• 07-11-2009 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

My Sister who lives in England was amazed to see how much more O2 Ireland are charging for the "Free" iPhone.

18 month Contract

O2 Ireland:- Monthly Tariff, €100 (700 Minutes, 250 texts + Free 500 MB Mobile Internet) + Cost of Phone 89 Euros.

O2 UK:- Monthly Tariff £73.41 (€82 euros) 3000 UK minutes, 500uk texts, Unlimited UK Data and Wi-Fi. Cost of Phone 108 Euros.

Like for Like and Irish Minute costs 14.2 cents and an UK minute costs 2.7 cent. So O2 charges its Irish customers 500% more thans its UK customers, Like for Like.

Is the cost of doing busines in Ireland really that much!!!. For sure I would never spend 100 euros a month on mobile phone calls.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

sold wrote: »
    My Sister who lives in England was amazed to see how much more O2 Ireland are charging for the "Free" iPhone.

18 month Contract

O2 Ireland:- Monthly Tariff, €100 (700 Minutes, 250 texts + Free 500 MB Mobile Internet) + Cost of Phone 89 Euros.

O2 UK:- Monthly Tariff £73.41 (€82 euros) 3000 UK minutes, 500uk texts, Unlimited UK Data and Wi-Fi. Cost of Phone 108 Euros.

Like for Like and Irish Minute costs 14.2 cents and an UK minute costs 2.7 cent. So O2 charges its Irish customers 500% more thans its UK customers, Like for Like.

Is the cost of doing busines in Ireland really that much!!!. For sure I would never spend 100 euros a month on mobile phone calls.
    WOAAAAH that is unreal, theres 2300 difference in talk time minutes between here and the uk, can anybody answer why they cant offer 3000 minutes over here instead of giving (us idiots????) a petty 700:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Gringo180 wrote: »
    can anybody answer why they cant offer 3000 minutes over here instead of giving (us idiots????) a petty 700:mad:

Because there is a cosy cartel of Mobile phone operators in Ireland and more or less all of them have the same fixed prices, little competition and crazy prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

sold wrote: »
    Because there is a cosy cartel of Mobile phone operators in Ireland and more or less all of them have the same fixed prices, little competition and crazy prices.

True.

There is also real competition in the UK and Orange (I think) will have the Iphone from early next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It could be argued that the UK has a larger population but in Ireland the mobile phone companies got the licenses to setup their networks for little money at all compared to prices governments took in similar countries.

Advertisement