Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets Count to a Million thread Locked for Fun???

Options
  • 07-11-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

I've just logged in to find the lets count to a million thread in tCN locked.

Sarky seems to think it's his right to lock a thread for his own amusement without any consideration for the posters that use the thread every single day.
    Sarky wrote:
    I was going to lock this thread when it got to a million views and have a big old laugh about it, but screw it, I've just had throat surgery and I'm damn well going to treat myself!

Well done, you lot. You've shown an amazing dedication to utter futility that would make any nihilist pray for a bullet between the eyes.

Ka-LOCK!Oh, damn.
    Damn, that felt good. I may have to have a lie down...

I am furious that a thread that has been going for over a year with a constant flow of regular counters and new members of boards finding a place that made them feel welcome and gave an element of escapism has been shut down so suddenly.

I want the thread re-opened. That is my feedback.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I can only echo what kerash has said and hope that someone has the good sense to reopen this great thread.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Any thread with a million posts would have horrible effects on the servers.

I can't understand how anybody thought this thread was going to be let reach a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Count to a million is the nest, without it the nest will die, it keeps the nest on the front page, which always brings in new posters.
    I think you have gone too far this time sarky, so please unlock when you are ready, thank you!

Quazzie wrote: »
    Any thread with a million posts would have horrible effects on the servers.

I can't understand how anybody thought this thread was going to be let reach a million.
    Good point Quazzie.
    I just think the Mod might have gone about locking the thread in a better manner rather than just for a laugh which appears to be the case.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Guys, it was always going to happen.

The more posts a thread have beyond a certain point the more trouble it makes for DB queries.

The Lair is another casualty.

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    Good point Quazzie.
    I just think the Mod might have gone about locking the thread in a better manner rather than just for a laugh which appears to be the case.

I would speculate he was trying to close it in the humour of the forum.

Specualtion now!

But The Lair was not locked as suddenly as The Count and not for the apparent amusement of the Mod - rather it was locked for the reasons you have described Doom.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Would it be possible to at least let the Count run to 100,000 as I think happened in the Lair?

Genealogy Forum Mod

There is always the possibility of:

Lets count to a million 100,000-200,000

The million could be split into 100,000 big sections which might have a less detremental effect of DB and servers.

That is assuming that the effect on DB and servers was the reason for closing it.

Quazzie wrote: »
    There is always the possibility of:

Lets count to a million 100,000-200,000

The million could be split into 100,000 big sections which might have a less detremental effect of DB and servers.
    Not ideal but a fair compromise methinks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    But The Lair was not locked as suddenly as The Count and not for the apparent amusement of the Mod - rather it was locked for the reasons you have described Doom.

However we were told in the Noc that we might come in one day and find it gone if something went wrong... there was always a chance. I just thought I'd do my best to prepare people (I dunno if that thread was even on notice).

Again, just speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

kerash wrote: »
    I am furious that a thread that has been going for over a year with a constant flow of regular counters and new members of boards finding a place that made them feel welcome and gave an element of escapism has been shut down so suddenly.

Suddenly? It had reached nearly 100,000 posts! And did you think I was joking with the dozens of times I mentioned in the past I was going to lock it?
    I want the thread re-opened. That is my feedback.

I'm sorry if you're upset, but that's not happening. Feel free to start another thread continuing on from 97,000 or whatever the count was at the time, I won't stop it. But that particular thread will cause no more trouble for the tech guys at Boards.

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Would it be too much of a load to let it reach 100k and then close it?? It could then continue on in a new thread.

Just a suggestion.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Sarky wrote: »
    I'm sorry if you're upset, but that's not happening. Feel free to start another thread continuing on from 97,000 or whatever the count was at the time, I won't stop it. But that particular thread will cause no more trouble for the tech guys at Boards.
    Funny - no-one told me the Count was causing trouble for the Tech people!

And is the role of a moderator really to lock threads for their own pleasure?
    I have previously been banned by a Moderator who thought that his being drunk was reason enough to ban me from The Nest and now his!

Genealogy Forum Mod

koth wrote: »
    Would it be too much of a load to let it reach 100k and then close it?? It could then continue on in a new thread.

Just a suggestion.
    I agree with this. It finished on a horrible number.

The thread is part of Boards history and it'd be nice to see it at least reach a nicer milestone before closure.

97,813 is a wonderful number. I don't know what you have against it.

97,813 is a wonderful number. I don't know what you have against it.
    A valid point, excellently made.

Well done good Sir you just won 1 internetz

just like 100,000!
    Why didnt you give your warnings in the count thread?
    Why could we not have had the same run as the lair, 150,000?

joes girls wrote: »
    just like 100,000!
    Exactly. Why choose one number over the other?
    Why didnt you give your warnings in the count thread?
    Because if I'd upset the counting you would have complained too.
    Why could we not have had the same run as the lair, 150,000?

The Lair is not The Cuckoo's Nest. There's a whole different charter with sparkly coloured letters and everything.

Because if I'd upset the counting you would have complained too.

Eh no, we would have just ignored you like the others that put in silly posts.
    As our Mod, do you not think you should have gave us warning so we could have our say. Then none of this would have happened, and we would all be happy!

(just so you cant pick me up on it, ignore your no number post, not warning)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Can you not just leave it till we reach 1000,000,Im sure that would make everyone happy and what harm would it do,sure we are nearly there!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

give the guy some slack. the nest modding was always about random acts of chaotic good or chaotic evil. i even threw my name in the pot to mod it,so ye had a lucky escape. the nest is a weird one because a community emerged from something that wasn't planned to be a typical forum. as for the lair, we pushed our luck as much as we could and ultimately as doom said,it came down to close it or it may just disappear. i didn't want it closed, nor did alot of people, but thats the situation we have now with epic threads. ye may just start again.

Have no problem with sarky,
    But the nest is my boards home, just a little respect goes a long way. We all knew our thread would be locked, but it could have been done better.

The "count to a million" thread is exactly what tCN is about, Locking it is like killing the clown at MickeyD's. :(

Please just let it get to 100K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

joes girls wrote: »
    Count to a million is the nest, without it the nest will die, it keeps the nest on the front page, which always brings in new posters.
    I think you have gone too far this time sarky, so please unlock when you are ready, thank you!

The nest existed for years with out that thread, I get the premise for it but it also imho made nesters lazy. Moar Zany Needed Plxkthnkbi!

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The nest existed for years with out that thread, I get the premise for it but it also imho made nesters lazy. Moar Zany Needed Plxkthnkbi!

Not at all there's still plenty of silly stuff going on, dogs with hats and other serious discussions

Must start one on "how many mods does it take to ..." thread.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

oooh that sounds fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

TCN is by nature random therefoe (IMHO) one number is as good as another.

And yes big threads do cause us a certain about of database trouble, so the days of them are all numbered (pardon the pun).

This isn't really a big issue, so I'm not going to let this thread live very long. Perhaps when it reaches some random number post, I'll lock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Eh, lads? Calm down maybe? It's a thread, about counting. Get over it. I just start a new count, so it's just like old times!

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

BuffyBot wrote: »
    TCN is by nature random therefoe (IMHO) one number is as good as another.

And yes big threads do cause us a certain about of database trouble, so the days of them are all numbered (pardon the pun).

This isn't really a big issue, so I'm not going to let this thread live very long. Perhaps when it reaches some random number post, I'll lock it.

How about 42 :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement