Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil burner blowing excess grey smoke (please help)

Options
  • 07-11-2009 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

hi folks our oil burner is blowing an awful lot of grey smoke,
    we have a firebird burner and have just fill the tank for the first time with gasoil as that is what the builder told us it was set for,has anyone any ideas what could be wrong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

I am not an expert but I have a firebird.

Is it a room sealed one? Mine runs on kerosene and I had a lot of smoke when I started it up this year (11 years old) but I let it ` blow` out.I left it on at a hight temp for a couple of hours and then brought it down to 60 and it seems fine. Are you firing it up for the first time? Sounds like a new build?I would give the supplier of the gasoil a tinkle and ask them if this is normal.
    I hope you get more productive replies from the experts out there. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

If it's the first time the boiler is being fired, there will be visible smoke as any protective coatings on the steel combustion chamber burn off - but this should settle down within a couple of hours max. If there is still visible smoke then the burner needs attention - most likely there is insufficient air for complete combustion. There is an adjustable air damper to match the air supply to the oil nozzle size, to do it properly you need a flue gas analyser. Also possible is that the nozzle is incorrectly sized for the boiler, or that the oil pressure is set incorrectly. All easily fixed. But most likely it's just a new boiler burning off anti-corrosion coatings.

Also the boiler needs a good supply of fresh air, make sure it's not built into a sealed cupboard or small room with no ventilation. A 6 inch diameter vent to outside air should be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

dooley319 wrote: »
    hi folks our oil burner is blowing an awful lot of grey smoke,
    we have a firebird burner and have just fill the tank for the first time with gasoil as that is what the builder told us it was set for,has anyone any ideas what could be wrong

If it is a new boiler/burner, it is probably set up for kerosene. Does it have a vent out through the wall or has it got a flue going up above the roof.
    You should never see smoke, maybe condensation, steam, but never smoke. Do not let it run if it is smoking - it will soot up - a real mess.
    Jim.

Advertisement