Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday car boot

• 07-11-2009 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever been to the car boot / market thing at Ferry Bar, Grannagh, Kilmacow?

We went last Sunday, first time. Would you believe, it's the first car boot sale I've ever been to, in all my days, where I've had to PAY an admission fee?! - €2 no less!

I couldn't believe it!! €2 for the privilege of entering, as a customer, to go and buy things.

Stuff it, I thought, I'll pay it (hoping it'll be good inside).

You know what? It's utter shíte. Total toss, the lot of it.

Still, the organisers are laughing aren't they. Charging the sellers, charging the buyers. Good little money spinner.

We won't be going again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Can you elaberate on : 'You know what? It's utter shíte. Total toss, the lot of it'

Was it second hand goods / new goods / food ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Can't believe your getting so angry over €2..

As they say "One man's rubbish is another man's treasure"

Ive been meaning to go to this as well..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Can you elaberate on : 'You know what? It's utter shíte. Total toss, the lot of it'

Was it second hand goods / new goods / food ....

Mostly second hand tat. There was a cake stall, too.

I bought an all-in-one tool (small, pliers type) from Tesco two years ago. It cost €4.99 and came in a cheap black cloth / velcro case. I remember what it looked like. Anyway, some joker at this car boot was selling the same cheap little case - which is probably of no use to anybody - for €2, according to the sticker.

That's what I mean by utter tat.

dazftw wrote: »
    Precisely what's wrong with this country, if I may say so. :rolleyes:

And it's not so much the amount anyway, it's the principle. You don't have to pay admission to go to any other market or car boot (not one that I've ever been to anyway). Clearly the organisers are cashing in both ways. It's a right bloody con. Adverts all around Waterford for it, and signs on the way up to it - nowhere does it say you've to give the lad on the door €2 or you're not getting in. It's a swizz.

€2 to go to a car boot. I just can't believe it. They'll be charging to get into Tesco next.

I really wouldn't bother mate - you'll be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I reckon it depends on what your looking for really.. I know some guys who got great deals on old cameras.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

i was down there a rew months ago and i have to say i thought it was a total loss. There was hardly anything there for starters and what was there was rubbish imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 08mor

what kind of stuff do ye guys be looking for, only asking as i do the callan car boot on a sunday, i would welcome any ideas to get people spending, what are people into these days??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

I was up there a few weeks ago and I bought a rocking chair and matching footstool for €10, bargain, it was a bit dirty but a quick rub of a cloth and now its a "statement" piece in my living room. I saw a similar one in a furniture shop for €150. I also bought a bird bath for €5 - you wouldn't get that anywhere else. There was a lot of junk but if you root through it you might be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I was there a while ago and i'll never be there again, you'd be better off rooting around out in the dump, and €2 to get in is a total rip-off, they should pay people to go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jackdrel

car boot sale in castlelehinch is 3 euro to enter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I don't know what the OP expected, car boot sales are by their very nature 'hit and miss' and you have to be prepared to arrive early and search through mountains of mind numbing dross to find that elusive treasure. As for a charge for buyers, that is quite widespread and €2 does not sound unreasonable as there are overheads with running such events. I have heard excellent reports of the Fethard Folk Park bootsale and the fact that it has been running for years says it all. :)

www.collectireland.blogspot.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

i heard the fethard one was good alright but i havent been up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

is the one in callan still going? Used to spend ages at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

davylee wrote: »
    i heard the fethard one was good alright but i havent been up there

The Fethard one is a helluva lot better than the Ferry Bar, and has an admission fee...I think it's €2. If youre looking for something particular, like I was, Fethard is worth a spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Fethard is utterly crap, in my opinion.

I do a stall at the Ferry Bar, selling artificial flowers, new jewelery, and some candles- stuff like this.
    Loads'a people do go into the boot sale, but are turned off by the state of some of the stall's- which I totally agree with- there's only utter crap on their stalls- stuff the bin men wouldn't even collect, but today was a good day for many traders as beat 102/103 were at the boot sale, as was santa giving out presents. It has picked up quite a bit, but I still only make the bare minimum money, only €9 today..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Fethard is utterly crap, in my opinion.

I do a stall at the Ferry Bar, selling artificial flowers, new jewelery, and some candles- stuff like this.
    Loads'a people do go into the boot sale, but are turned off by the state of some of the stall's- which I totally agree with- there's only utter crap on their stalls- stuff the bin men wouldn't even collect, but today was a good day for many traders as beat 102/103 were at the boot sale, as was santa giving out presents. It has picked up quite a bit, but I still only make the bare minimum money, only €9 today..

I think you and the OP are in the same boat - you don't appear to understand what car boot sales are about! The OP stated that he found 'Mostly second hand tat' - just what you would expect to find at a car boot sale...you know you fill your car boot with the stuff from your house, shed, garage etc that you want to get rid of and other people buy it. One man's rubbish is anothers treasure! On personal basis I dread finding a carboot sale full of stalls selling your type of products and between them and people selling pirated dvds, and cheap washing powder off the back of lorries make a mockery of the concept of carboot sales. Judging from your takings you are in the wrong place and would be better off with a weekend pitch at a market but I don't know if there are any in the South East. The Blackrock Market in Dublin is the sort of place that your products would do better in. As I stated in a previous post the carboot sale at Fethard has been running for years so they must be doing something right. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

€2 is €2, its money the OP could have contributed to some other purchase. Plus the fact that the advertising posters don't seem to have mentioned this is a bit shady. Most people would be annoyed if they went to a cinema or club and the entrance price was more when they turned up than what was advertised.

I think its just another symbol of where the country went wrong in the boom times. people thought they could charge for any old s**t and people would take it. I think since the recession people are less willing to take being overcharged for anything whether it be by €2 or €200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I think you and the OP are in the same boat - you don't appear to understand what car boot sales are about! The OP stated that he found 'Mostly second hand tat' - just what you would expect to find at a car boot sale...you know you fill your car boot with the stuff from your house, shed, garage etc that you want to get rid of and other people buy it. One man's rubbish is anothers treasure! On personal basis I dread finding a carboot sale full of stalls selling your type of products and between them and people selling pirated dvds, and cheap washing powder off the back of lorries make a mockery of the concept of carboot sales. Judging from your takings you are in the wrong place and would be better off with a weekend pitch at a market but I don't know if there are any in the South East. The Blackrock Market in Dublin is the sort of place that your products would do better in. As I stated in a previous post the carboot sale at Fethard has been running for years so they must be doing something right. :)

Yeah, I get what your saying but I know that most of the stall's there have ok stuff to sell, as in someone would want to buy it, but what I'm saying is that other stalls have somethings that NO-ONE would want to buy. Theres absolute junk, really. And actually, the owners of the Ferry Bar Market are trying to get it to be more of a high-class market, now with an arts and crafts area and café put into place.

Advertisement