Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For the budding photographer....

• 07-11-2009 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

I am hoping that you good and learned folk here in this forum can help me:

My OH bought a digital SLR (Canon 'Rebel') earlier this year and since then has been getting more and more into photography. He's already bought himself a few bits including a larger lens, and is familiarising himself with GIMP. He really seems to love it and I'd really like to get him some photography things for Christmas.

But I know nothing about photography and haven't a clue what to get or where to get it:o

So, what would would your recommendations be in this instance for something(s) useful that would enhance his new hobby? I'm interested in any suggestions regardless of cost. I haven't gotten him anything else yet so if there was something expensive but brilliant out there I might stretch to it.

Thanks in advance!!

MR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

There's a few things I'd recommend for a DSLR.

- Canon 50mm 1.8 lens (also called Nifty Fifty). If you shop around I've seen this for under €100.

- Depending on what he has already you could get him another lens rather than a 50mm 1.8. Like something with more zoom. Canon users here might advise better on those lens

- Lensbaby - I'm getting one of these for christmas, I'm going for the Lensbaby composer. I hear it's a tad easier to use than the other Lensbaby variations

There's a few ideas. Let's see what others say too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

When he's not there,Take a photo of his gear,post it here(or just list it if you know!)..Give us abit of information about what he mainly shoots,And along with a budget we should be able to help you get the right thing :)

The reason I ask for a budget,Is if he's into sports users could recommend lenses that will cost over €1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

A good tripod, I got a SLIK 400DX for only 89 euro in Camera Ex, 50mm prime lens (from 100-145€) A good camera bag/back pack ? A flash gun maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Ricky91t wrote: »
    When he's not there,Take a photo of his gear,post it here(or just list it if you know!)..Give us abit of information about what he mainly shoots,And along with a budget we should be able to help you get the right thing :)

Great idea but he's away for the next three weeks and unfortunately has most of his gear with him!

But I can tell you most of what he has and I can 'cunningly' find out the size lens that he has already:p

So the camera as I said is a Canon 'Rebel'

He has a larger lens for it but I don't know what size it is.

He has a nice backpack, a gorilla pod and a tripod, the tripod is here, it's an 'Optex' OPT255. He also has some sort of fancy lens cleaning pack. I think that's all he has, at least that's all I'm aware of; but he could have more than this:confused:

Photowise he seems to be keen on a variety of things. I know he's doing lots of research and a lot of playing around on GIMP so I think for now he's taking photos of anything that catches his eye just to work on his skill.

But most recently he had some lovely shots of some wild flowers and some pretty impressive shots of his friends vintage car at dawn.

Thanks so much for all of the really helpful replies so far btw;)

Great idea but he's away for the next three weeks and unfortunately has most of his gear with him!

But I can tell you most of what he has and I can 'cunningly' find out the size lens that he has already:p

So the camera as I said is a Canon 'Rebel'

He has a larger lens for it but I don't know what size it is.

He has a nice backpack, a gorilla pod and a tripod, the tripod is here, it's an 'Optex' OPT255. He also has some sort of fancy lens cleaning pack. I think that's all he has, at least that's all I'm aware of; but he could have more than this:confused:

Photowise he seems to be keen on a variety of things. I know he's doing lots of research and a lot of playing around on GIMP so I think for now he's taking photos of anything that catches his eye just to work on his skill.

But most recently he had some lovely shots of some wild flowers and some pretty impressive shots of his friends vintage car at dawn.

Thanks so much for all of the really helpful replies so far btw;)

Sounds like he has some sort of Telephoto lens then,So he'll be OK with that..

I'll assume he's using the kit lens still and maybe an upgrade from this would be good...But I'm not 100% sure on what would be a good upgrade so I can only mention lenses I've looked into before...

You said he took some wild flowers shots,I'd assume they were macro(close up's) so a Lens with a macro function would be good...I think the sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 could be what he's looking for,It's a good alternative to the kit lens,Not to pricy has a macro function and TBH looks like quite a good lens.

See here for examples..

Other than that,The cheaper option would be the canon 50mm f/1.8,This is a great lens and a great price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

A flashgun then seems like a good thing to get him.

Before I run out the door, just a thought, you could buy him Adobe Lightroom 2. Even though Lightroom 3 beta is on free trial until april/may, he'll have to pay for that then anyway. If he had lightroom 2 and wanted to upgrade to 3 when it's properly released it will be much cheaper than buying it outright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Unless you're very sure get him a voucher or hand him the cash, there is such a choice of gear out there that unless he's been dropping very clear hints, it's going to be next to impossible for you to get him what he wants as opposed to what you think he wants or what folk here would like for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I second the idea of a Flashgun, always a good present. You said he's using Gimp, that's a great program. Adobe Lightroom might be a good option. It'll help him catalogue his images, tag them and make quick and easy edits.

What kind of photography does he like? As someone above mentioned the 50mm lens is a cheap but impressive addition to his kit. It's ideal for portrait shots and working in low light conditions.

Sounds like he has some sort of Telephoto lens then,So he'll be OK with that..

I'll assume he's using the kit lens still and maybe an upgrade from this would be good...But I'm not 100% sure on what would be a good upgrade so I can only mention lenses I've looked into before...

You said he took some wild flowers shots,I'd assume they were macro(close up's) so a Lens with a macro function would be good...I think the sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 could be what he's looking for,It's a good alternative to the kit lens,Not to pricy has a macro function and TBH looks like quite a good lens.

See here for examples..

Other than that,The cheaper option would be the canon 50mm f/1.8,This is a great lens and a great price!

I'll find out what lens he has later on and post it up here. The flower shots were close up's. I think he still does use the kit lens so as you say maybe an upgrade on this might be good.

As regards sports photography, the only shots he would ever be taking would be sailing ones, boats and windsurfers, that sort of thing.

I don't really mind getting him a few decent bits as I'd rather spend the money on things that he'd use as opposed to the usual Christmas crap. I got him a decent present last year plus a few more bits so the pressure is on this year to top or at least come close to that:p

• Advertisement

Where is best to buy these things/get a voucher for??

The Adobe software is a really good idea but if I bought him software he'd kill me. He doesn't believe in paying for software:rolleyes:

Cheers again for all the great advice;)

EDIT: having just seen what a flashgun looks like I think he has one of these already :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

best idea might be to just ask him for a list of the stuff he'd really like! and you choose something from the list. i know it eliminates the element of surprise but it means he gets something he really wants & stops you possibly buying something he hadn't really planned on getting for the camera :)

last year on my request my OH got me a lensbaby composer and i was delighted, couldn't wait to open it!!

for me chiristmas lists are the way forward. because at christmas i find people asking what i might like i often jot things down in my phone during the year that i might come across and really want but can't really justify spending the money myself at the time. that way when christmas comes round the whole present thing is much easier and you end up with something you've really wanted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

The Adobe software is a really good idea but if I bought him software he'd kill me. He doesn't believe in paying for software:rolleyes:

Excellent! give us a link to his online gallery if he has one so that we can copy all his images and pass them off as our own and sell them. If he doesn't believe in copyright he shouldn't mind, right ? Right ?

Excellent! give us a link to his online gallery if he has one so that we can copy all his images and pass them off as our own and sell them. If he doesn't believe in copyright he shouldn't mind, right ? Right ?

she's already said he uses GIMP which is free, doesn't mean he's breaking copyright on other software! plus this lady hasn't said she's condoning it either so lets be nice to her :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

C'mon now, no need to be a smartass. The lady is looking for advice, don't take it out on her.

*eadaoin wrote: »
    she's already said he uses GIMP which is free, doesn't mean he's breaking copyright on other software!

Actually, you have a point. It could be interpreted as meaning that her BF uses only free and OS software, in which case I apologise. Otherwise my comment stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Daire just needs a great big hug.

Okaaay.......I think you've taken me up a little wrong....
    she's already said he uses GIMP which is free, doesn't mean he's breaking copyright on other software! plus this lady hasn't said she's condoning it either so lets be nice to her :)

Actually, you have a point. It could be interpreted as meaning that her BF uses only free and OS software, in which case I apologise. Otherwise my comment stands.

Bingo; he's a man of principles not a thief.

Anyhoo, I know it might be a bit risky buying him something as opposed to a voucher or whatever but I think he would really like one of those Lensbaby composers. I think it would really enhance the sort of photos that he likes to take.

Is the optics kit necessary to go with it; or is it just a nice extra? And where is best to buy them??

But I'd be open to buying him a few more bits too so keep the advice coming; he's had a tough year and I'd like to spoil him a little;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Consider buying a batterygrip for his camera, it gives him the opportunity to use 2 batteries instead of 1, hence longer shooting time between charging. Also its great when taking portrait photos.

Shutter release remote is also a very useful accessory.

If you want to add bits and pieces there's loads you can do. Things you could add:

- Cokin filter kit of some kind (e.g. Example 1, Example 2, Example 3)
    - Some studio type equipment if he would like to try portraits etc. For example shoot through umbrella, off camera flash triggers, reflectors
    - A lowepro camera bag (the one that opens at the side... although they might be expensive!)
    - An extra memory card

If I think of anything else I'll add it.

• Advertisement

Thank you!!

He has a side opening Loweprowe back pack already; tho he could probably do with something bigger aswell so that's another idea:)

There is endless possibilities it seems:p:D:)

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    - An extra memory card

i'll second the extra memory card, it's one of the first things i bought when i first got my camera, you can never have enough memory when out on a shoot! you might also like to buy him an extra battery if he goes out shooting a lot?

we got the lensbaby composer directly from their site as i couldn't find it for cheaper anywhere else online, that may have changed now as they've been available for much longer now than when i got it. i saw that the camera exchange on george's st in dublin had a couple (south great georges st that is if you're not familiar with it!) and you never know if they've had them in stock all year they might have reduced the prices?? they also have the optics kit for sale in there.

i didn't go for the optics kit, but i did buy the macro rings and the shaped apertures and have lots of fun with them. the macro rings gave me the kind of shots i was really looking for, so i guess it's down to what you think your OH would prefer. i'm all about up close stuff so the macro rings were ideal, but if he's into a different kind of shot then the optics kit might be right.

i'll second the extra memory card, it's one of the first things i bought when i first got my camera, you can never have enough memory when out on a shoot! you might also like to buy him an extra battery if he goes out shooting a lot?

we got the lensbaby composer directly from their site as i couldn't find it for cheaper anywhere else online, that may have changed now as they've been available for much longer now than when i got it. i saw that the camera exchange on george's st in dublin had a couple (south great georges st that is if you're not familiar with it!) and you never know if they've had them in stock all year they might have reduced the prices?? they also have the optics kit for sale in there.

i didn't go for the optics kit, but i did buy the macro rings and the shaped apertures and have lots of fun with them. the macro rings gave me the kind of shots i was really looking for, so i guess it's down to what you think your OH would prefer. i'm all about up close stuff so the macro rings were ideal, but if he's into a different kind of shot then the optics kit might be right.

Cool; I think the battery grip might be a very good idea actually and get him an extra battery and memory card to go along with that. Battery is definately something he runs out of frequently:pac:

I don't know when I'll be in Dublin next(I'm based in Galway) but I will be in London at the end of November so if anybody has any recommendations for shops there too please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

Cool; I think the battery grip might be a very good idea actually and get him an extra battery and memory card to go along with that. Battery is definately something he runs out of frequently:pac:

I don't know when I'll be in Dublin next(I'm based in Galway) but I will be in London at the end of November so if anybody has any recommendations for shops there too please let me know.

Give kerso (Ian kerr) from Scotland a shout if your looking for Canon products.I buy all my stuff from him and he's great to deal with.Ask anyone here on boards about him as a lot of people have dealt with him. His email is kerso1123@msn.com

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

Hi all,
    i'm looking for some help with my slave sensor flash units. They don't seem to be flash at the right time or else my camera settings are off. THey do flash but don't appear to make any difference to my photos.
    Any ideas anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Pick him up a Canon 40D...you can get some nice bargains on 2nd hand ones and they're a real step up from the rebel models.
    You can bet that right now he's thinking of gettig a better camera...we all did :D

YeGods wrote: »
    Hi all,
    i'm looking for some help with my slave sensor flash units. They don't seem to be flash at the right time or else my camera settings are off. THey do flash but don't appear to make any difference to my photos.
    Any ideas anyone

will you create new thread for this...otherwise it's gonna get all mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

Will do - sorry about that

Berkut wrote: »
    Pick him up a Canon 40D...you can get some nice bargains on 2nd hand ones and they're a real step up from the rebel models.
    You can bet that right now he's thinking of gettig a better camera...we all did :D

A Canon 40D; ok; I hadn't thought of a camera upgrade. What's the next step up on a 40D then??

• Advertisement

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    If you want to add bits and pieces there's loads you can do. Things you could add:

- Cokin filter kit of some kind (e.g. Example 1, Example 2, Example 3)
    - Some studio type equipment if he would like to try portraits etc. For example shoot through umbrella, off camera flash triggers, reflectors
    - A lowepro camera bag (the one that opens at the side... although they might be expensive!)
    - An extra memory card

If I think of anything else I'll add it.

If I could make another recommendation it would be not to get a lowepro slingshot or alike,It is one of the most uncomfortable bags I've ever used,I'm actually considering swapping it for something with 2 straps!!

If I could make another recommendation it would be not to get a lowepro slingshot or alike,It is one of the most uncomfortable bags I've ever used,I'm actually considering swapping it for something with 2 straps!!

Well I know that he likes the Backpack one he has, so if I was getting him a bigger bag I'd try to stick to that style I think.

For the record I just checked the box of the camera there and it's a Canon Rebel EOS 450d Xsi

A Canon 40D; ok; I hadn't thought of a camera upgrade. What's the next step up on a 40D then??

The 50D is the latest model out....you could pick up a 2nd hand one from boards adverts below as they're approx €1100 new.

http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=51

you could sound him out about it a bit...what he thinks of his current camera and what would he consider for an upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

How about a Monopod and/or a Blackrapid strap ?

Hi guys!!!

Just wanted to come back and let you know how I got on and to say thank you to you all for your very helpful advice!!

I ended up going with the Lensbaby composer with the full accessory kit and case, along with a few other bits non-photography related.

He LOVES it. Honestly, the look on his face when he unwrapped it. Said he has been considering buying one for months.

Really couldn't have done it without all of your help and advice.

Thanks a mill:);)

MR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

I hope the lady got something nice for her OH , but this thread amused me for one simple reason ....

Tut Tut ..Daire the wise tripped over his own tongue !! never thought I'd see the day ............chuckles of into the distance ;)

• Advertisement

Simplicius wrote: »
    Tut Tut ..Daire the wise tripped over his own tongue !! never thought I'd see the day ............chuckles of into the distance ;)

Ach I was in a foul mood that day, can't even remember why now. Anyhow, I apologised.

Neat christmas present aswell :D

Advertisement