Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boiler upgrade?

Options
  • 07-11-2009 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

heya,

i have a stanley gas fired boiler heating my house, but my wife hates it!

we are looking at replacing it with a modern boiler.

any thoughts on what type of boiler we might need? it's a large victorian house. i read about combi boilers and my eyes glaze over a bit! i'd love to get something with a good energy rating, might trim the bills a bit too!

also, most importantly, how much might i expect to pay?

gar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I would not recommend a Combi boiler for your application - they are ideal small flats and appartments. The big advantage is that they provide instant domestic hot water to your taps avoiding the need to store hot water. However they are more complex, cost more, and you would need to re-plumb your hot water system to take advantage of this.

Look for condensing boilers as these are more efficient, just get two or three firms to quote for installation and see what they recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭gar_29

Pete67 wrote: »

Look for condensing boilers as these are more efficient, just get two or three firms to quote for installation and see what they recommend.

thanks, will look into that! is there even any rough ballpark figure for a simple installation, without complications?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was recently quoted €1200 for an 80000 BTU Condensing boiler and €1000 to fit it (a days work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭gar_29

nouggatti wrote: »
    I was recently quoted €1200 for an 80000 BTU Condensing boiler and €1000 to fit it (a days work)

cheers!

Advertisement