Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping

Options
  • 07-11-2009 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

Are there any places in Ireland, preferably in the west of Ireland, where you can just go wandering for a few days, camping and so on? I know there is a national park out this way but I'm not too sure about their policy on campfires.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Camping in the national parks is fine as far as i know, so long as you dont leave anything after you. Carry all your waste back out with you etc. Regards fires, I'm pretty sure they're a no - go in the parks, as they tend to scorch the ground leaving a big black mark.

As for places to go, both connemara and ballycroy national parks are great, ballycroy being the more remote of the two,but there's plenty of other mountain ranges you could go that aren't in national parks such as the maumturks, mweelrea and the sheefries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Camping in the national parks is fine as far as i know, so long as you dont leave anything after you. Carry all your waste back out with you etc. Regards fires, I'm pretty sure they're a no - go in the parks, as they tend to scorch the ground leaving a big black mark.
    Thanks for the advice, I've one of those Kelly Kettles that keeps the fire inside the base, do you think that would be alright? It doesn't leave marks if its sat on a stone or something. Those mountain ranges that aren't national parks, its not private property so? I've gone camping out on the islands in Lough Corrib before, but I'm fairly clueless about anywhere else.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ah a kelly kettle should be sound, i thought you meant actually burning a pile of sticks on the ground :) I think most of the mountains are technically owned by someone but there is certainly no access issues with any of the mountains in galway or mayo that i know of, just be careful not to damage walls or fences and close gates after you. I'venever had any problems with farmers yet anyway. Happy camping.

Advertisement