Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert caravan 12v lights to 220v

• 07-11-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I am considering changing the 12v lighting in a caravan to 220v.Obviously this will mean new fittings etc.My question is if I find a new fitting with reasonably low power consumption,Could I use the existing wiring rather than having to rewire?

Thanks in Advance

Phoenix3.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The best thing to do from a safety point of view is to rewire.
    Install a small distribution board with proper MCBs, main switch-fuse, RCD etc.

You can not be sure that what you are pluging into provides the correct protection.

If I were you I would replace all of the light fittings. It is a small space, so it will be cheap to light. Don't use lamps that become hot to touch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Or could you just get an appropriate 220V -> 12V power supply for the lighting and keep your 12V system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You'll have to consider electrically bonding the whole caravan if you go down that route:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_bonding
    I think DublinDilbert's idea is the best.
    You could probably get away with running a couple of computer power supplies if you fit an ammeter to monitor the current! You can get 80% efficient PSU's easily! Just look for "80Plus".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i would prob fit a external 'main rcd' and an emergency light in caravan.
    I think they should be wired in flex/stranded with external plug and any bonding needed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Or could you just get an appropriate 220V -> 12V power supply for the lighting and keep your 12V system?
    You could do this but then you have no mains voltage sockets! This is the main reason that people want mains voltage in caravans in the first place.

Also the 12 volt lights that cone as standard are generally poor quality.

If you are going to introduce mains voltage into the equation you may as well reap all of the benifits that mains voltage has to offer.

• Advertisement

You'll have to consider electrically bonding the whole caravan if you go down that route:
    Sorry I don't follow. What will you have to bond if you go down what route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

2011 wrote: »
    You could do this but then you have no mains voltage sockets! This is the main reason that people want mains voltage in caravans in the first place.

I probably would stick in a few mains sockets if i had 220V available and a PSU for the lights. I was just trying to come up with a way of avoiding running lots of cables for lights to every room.

2011 wrote: »
    Also the 12 volt lights that cone as standard are generally poor quality.
    yea, but great for ambiance :D

I probably would stick in a few mains sockets if i had 220V available and a PSU for the lights. I was just trying to come up with a way of avoiding running lots of cables for lights to every room.
    Yeah, I know what you mean.

I rewired a very large RV (like the one on "Meet the Fockers") for someone well known many years ago. It had lots of electrical "issues". For such a high spec machine the original wiring was installed to a very poor standard, I was very surprised.

It had a 12 volt wiring system with (12 volt sockets and lights) as well as a 230 volt system (sockets and lights). All wiring was done surface in mini trunking. That way you always had some form of light and power.

There was nothing to bond though as there was no exposed metalwork. All plumbing was in plastic piping, the kitchen sink was not conductive, all of the sinks only had 1 tap.
    yea, but great for ambiance biggrin.gif
    Yes, that is the word I was looking for :p

Always plenty of ambiance when caravaning!

The regulations specify an earthrod at each control unit in a caravan park(to reduce touch voltage i assume -708.542.01).
    I used to think multiple earthing was frowned upon in an installation considering the control units are 'probably' fed in 10sq ,although i can see the logic

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Thanks for the replies folks.

I am going to run with 12v/20w fittings and so use the existing wiring which was ut in place to carry 12v anyway.I should have said that there is a 220v supply added already and sockets are already in place.

Can I ask is there a large transformer available to power maybe 16 x 12v/20m watt lamps rather than using the usual smaller size that powers 2 or 3 lamps?

Thanks again.

Phoenix3

• Advertisement

Keep in mind the current draw on the 12volt if you're adding lights.dunno if it's an issue or not.
    320watt at 12volt is over 25amp.

Advertisement