Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

37" FULL HD TV €489.99

• 07-11-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Currys are selling the LG 37LH3000 for only €489.99

Great price for a Full HD TV. I wanted the 32" but it was more expensive! So I guess the 37" will have to do.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Quite a good deal alright, had they any other good offers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

hey is that tv definatley full HD? on the LG website its down as HD ready.. i really find all this full hd and hd ready quite confusing.
    is it beacause its 1080p does that mean its full hd??

http://www.lge.com/ie/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-37LH3000.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Harpy wrote: »
    hey is that tv definatley full HD? on the LG website its down as HD ready.. i really find all this full hd and hd ready quite confusing.
    is it beacause its 1080p does that mean its full hd??

http://www.lge.com/ie/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-37LH3000.jsp

Yeah full HD is 1080p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The specifications on the LG website state that it has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and that it is Full HD (1080p).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I was deffinatley going out to get this now until I saw the 50hz rating, I'll be mainly using this for my 360 and PS3, some games are 60hz so I'm worried now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

i think you can have that res without being full hd. ie 1080i and 1080p aren't the same thing

Iguana Bob wrote: »
    i think you can have that res without being full hd. ie 1080i and 1080p aren't the same thing

"Full HD" is a name referring to the number of pixels, if it has at least 1920x1080 then it is "Full HD".

The difference between 1080i and 1080p is just the method used to show the information. The "i" stands for interlaced scanning, while the "p" stands for progressive scanning. They are both Full HD because they both have 1080 vertical pixels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

"Full HD" is a name referring to the number of pixels, if it has at least 1920x1080 then it is "Full HD".

The difference between 1080i and 1080p is just the method used to show the information. The "i" stands for interlaced scanning, while the "p" stands for progressive scanning. They are both Full HD because they both have 1080 vertical pixels.

That's not correct.

1080i is not full HD.

1080i and 1080p are both HD Ready, but only 1080p is Full HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭yammagamma

industry standard does not count 1080i as full HD there is a difference in picture quality of 1080i and 1080p many people even agree that 720p is better then 1080i but dont worry about it if your only watching broadcasting stuff as nothing broadcast in 1080p

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    That's not correct.

1080i is not full HD.

1080i and 1080p are both HD Ready, but only 1080p is Full HD.

Sorry, it is correct.

1080 refers to the vertical part of the resolution i.e number of vertical pixels. Whether it's 1080p or 1080i it's 1080 vertical pixels, and therefore full HD.

HD Ready TVs are not capable of displaying 1080i, they don't have the number of pixels required. HD Ready TVs that say they can display 1080i are actually scanning it down to display it on the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

1080i - 720p - 1080p thats how it goes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭bob123456

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dixon

1080i does have 1080 lines, but is not Full HD as it is 'interlaced', this means the lines are updated every two refreshes of the screen. For example, the first refresh only the odd lines are updated, then on the next refresh the even ones are updated.

The human eye can not spot this as its so fast, however 1080p refreshes ALL lines every refresh which results in a smooter picture for movement, so while 1080i would be able to display a Full HD still picture the same, when there is movement, as in a video, then it is not Full HD. Hope this helps.

Edit: I'm not saying this TV is not 1080p, I'm just stating the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

manutd wrote: »

for €40 it is not worth traveling north for. Good Price for the south. and compared to other retailers in UK and elsewhere this is a good price.

I'm using this for my Xbox elite. so when I connect it up I'll let you know if I get full HD!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Dony

Dixon wrote: »
    1080i does have 1080 lines, but is not Full HD as it is 'interlaced', this means the lines are updated every two refreshes of the screen. For example, the first refresh only the odd lines are updated, then on the next refresh the even ones are updated.

The human eye can not spot this as its so fast, however 1080p refreshes ALL lines every refresh which results in a smooter picture for movement, so while 1080i would be able to display a Full HD still picture the same, when there is movement, as in a video, then it is not Full HD. Hope this helps.

Edit: I'm not saying this TV is not 1080p, I'm just stating the difference

Dixon is correct. You only need to bother with it being 1080p if you use blu-ray or PS3. Most hi-def tv broadcasts are 1080i. E.g. -BBC HD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I was deffinatley going out to get this now until I saw the 50hz rating, I'll be mainly using this for my 360 and PS3, some games are 60hz so I'm worried now.

Dont worry at all, this tv will work fine with those games, the fact they have it down as 50hz is simply indicating that it does not have a 100Hz feature:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

For the sake of the technophobic consumers, please stop saying that 1080i is FullHD. While technically correct, it's very, very misleading. Anyhow, the "Full HD" term has been replaced by "HD Ready 1080p" to avoid just this type of confusion.

See EICTA/DigitalEurope for more.

Working great at 1080p with xbox 360 elite. though I seem to recollect and may be wrong that older ones only disable 1080i

and from wikipedia

"Current generation video game consoles such as Sony's PlayStation 3 (all models) and Microsoft's Xbox 360 (specific models manufactured after June 2007 only) are able to display 1080p through HDMI ports"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

I'm pretty sure HDTVs marked as 50hz can output both 50hz and 60hz.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/1042459-50hz-refresh-rate-problem-games-60fps.html

Can anyone here confirm this?

• Advertisement

yep. my xbox is hooked up and it says 60Hz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭mcw92

was in currys in enniskillen 2day and its out of stock.
    they have to be ordered in for collection in 2 weeks.
    but with express delivery they can be ordered in for this thursday.
    its a 20£ option but with a lttle bargaining you can get it for 10;)

i ordered it in for thursday and got the 5 year warranty aswel for a total of 538£.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Dony wrote: »
    Most hi-def tv broadcasts are 1080i. E.g. -BBC HD

All broadcasts in this part of the world are 1080i at best. Although not boradcast, I believe 1080p will be offered in the states but the 1080p movie will be downloaded to the STB kind of like Sky Anytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Sorry, it is correct.

1080 refers to the vertical part of the resolution i.e number of vertical pixels. Whether it's 1080p or 1080i it's 1080 vertical pixels, and therefore full HD.

HD Ready TVs are not capable of displaying 1080i, they don't have the number of pixels required. HD Ready TVs that say they can display 1080i are actually scanning it down to display it on the screen.

At the risk of the thread going way off topic, I think this need to be clarified.

First off, the tv the op is talking about is full hd, as its pixels are 1920x1080. Looks like a bargain.

As to the quote above, I'm afraid you're wrong aswell.
    A HD Ready tv has 1280x720 pixels, that's 1280 horizontal pixels and 720 vertical pixels. Because of this pixel ratio, a HD Ready tv can only display 720p and 1080i as it only has 720 vertical pixels. 720 vertical pixels = 720p.

A Full HD tv has 1920x1080 pixels, that's 1920 horizontal pixels and 1080 vertical pixels. Because of this pixel ratio, a Full HD tv can display 720p, 1080i, & 1080p as it has 1080 vertical pixels. 1080 vertical pixels = 1080p.

All Full HD tvs are also HD Ready, but not all HD Ready tvs are Full HD.

Now after saying all that, if I'm wrong I'll humbly apologise, but I really don't think I am.
    It's easy to see how people are getting confused though as there's so much wrong information out there (hopefully I'm not giving any!:o)

At the risk of the thread going way off topic, I think this need to be clarified.

First off, the tv the op is talking about is full hd, as its pixels are 1920x1080. Looks like a bargain.

A HD Ready tv has 1280x720 pixels, that's 1280 horizontal pixels and 720 vertical pixels. Because of this pixel ratio, a HD Ready tv can only display 720p and 1080i as it only has 720 vertical pixels. 720 vertical pixels = 720p.

A Full HD tv has 1920x1080 pixels, that's 1920 horizontal pixels and 1080 vertical pixels. Because of this pixel ratio, a Full HD tv can display 720p, 1080i, & 1080p as it has 1080 vertical pixels. 1080 vertical pixels = 1080p.

Now after saying all that, if I'm wrong I'll humbly apologise, but I really don't think I am.
    It's easy to see how people are getting confused though as there's so much wrong information out there (hopefully I'm not giving any!:o)

1080i is technically Full HD, but it can be shown on a 720p TV through a process of deinterlacing.

To show 1080i in it's original form you need 1080 vertical pixels - Full HD.

In saying that, for the purposes of avoiding confusion, if someone wants a TV than can display in Full HD the easiest way to ensure this is that it can display 1080p, that way you're sure you're not getting a 720p that is capable of showing 1080i through deinterlacing.

TVs stated as being "HD Ready" are generally those that have a resolution of 1366 x 768. There are very few, if any, consumer HDTVs that have a resolution of 1280 x 720 currently available on the market.
    1080i is technically Full HD, but it can be shown on a 720p TV through a process of deinterlacing.

As above, there are practically no 720p (1280 x 720) consumer TVs currently available. If you're referring to TVs with a resolution of 1366 x 768, HD Ready TVs, then how they handle a 1080i signal is by deinterlacing it into a progressive signal and then resizing it to fit the display resolution, i.e. 1366 x 768.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    TVs stated as being "HD Ready" are generally those that have a resolution of 1366 x 768. There are very few, if any, consumer HDTVs that have a resolution of 1280 x 720 currently available on the market.

As above, there are practically no 720p (1280 x 720) consumer TVs currently available. If you're referring to TVs with a resolution of 1366 x 768, HD Ready TVs, then how they handle a 1080i signal is by deinterlacing it into a progressive signal and then resizing it to fit the display resolution, i.e. 1366 x 768.

That's beside the point. I was referring to televisions capable of displaying 720p.

That's beside the point. I was referring to televisions capable of displaying 720p.

I'll quote you again, since you don't appear to have read what I originally quoted.
    1080i is technically Full HD, but it can be shown on a 720p TV through a process of deinterlacing

As you can see, I was only pointing out that there were very few, if any, 720p Tvs, and, if you didn't see, I also agreed with your description of how a 1080i signal is handles by first deinterlacing it.

Back on topic. Good TV, good price and if anyone is interested, it's a decent bargain alert given the price.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I'll quote you again, since you don't appear to have read what I originally quoted.

As you can see, I was only pointing out that there were very few, if any, 720p Tvs, and, if you didn't see, I also agreed with your description of how a 1080i signal is handles by first deinterlacing it.

Back on topic. Good TV, good price and if anyone is interested, it's a decent bargain alert given the price.

No I read it, I'm just saying that I never mentioned a resolution of exactly 720, but anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Working great at 1080p with xbox 360 elite. though I seem to recollect and may be wrong that older ones only disable 1080i

I thought nearly all ps3 and xbox display games have a res of 720p due to hardware age(and crappiness)?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Effluo wrote: »
    I thought nearly all ps3 and xbox display games have a res of 720p due to hardware age(and crappiness)?
    They work at various resolutions (some games are less than 720p) but upscale it to 1080p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

In relation to the tv ,personally I wouldn't think it makes any difference having a full HD tv ,at 37"

It might be just as good paying less for a hd ready 37".

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    In relation to the tv ,personally I wouldn't think it makes any difference having a full HD tv ,at 37"

It might be just as good paying less for a hd ready 37".

Well that's the thing!
    The only way to really get use out of you full hd tv is to use blue-ray with it or play pc games on it at 1080 resolution...

Effluo wrote: »
    Well that's the thing!
    The only way to really get use out of you full hd tv is to use blue-ray with it or play pc games on it at 1080 resolution...

I have both myself including a 37" TV ,at that size it's a lot harder to tell the difference in 720 and 1080.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do you connect a pc up to it much. I'm looking at getting a tv soon and was wondering if the difference was that noticeable when you use a pc connected to it.

• Advertisement

Do you connect a pc up to it much. I'm looking at getting a tv soon and was wondering if the difference was that noticeable when you use a pc connected to it.

I've a plasma so it's not ideal ,screen could do with being a 46" when sitting 6ft away from the tv. I'm using a hdmi cable on a 8600GT card. have to put the resolution down a lot ,so I can see the text:(

i hate to say it, but not a bad article from cnet(of all places) on the benefits of 1080

http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭farmerval

Is this in Bricks and Mortar Currys or online?

its in both, as i picked it up instore but it can also be ordered online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

mcw92 wrote: »
    its in both, as i picked it up instore but it can also be ordered online.

Showing at €499.99 on the website is it €489.99 in store or has it gone up?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote: »
    Showing at €499.99 on the website is it €489.99 in store or has it gone up?

i got it up north as im close to enniskillen, so i couldnt tell ya about tha irish instore price.
    but its 400£ up north.
    also the deal ends on wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I was in there today(bought the 42LH3000 :D) and the 37LH3000 was indeed €489

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

Guys,

You wont see any difference of 720P (HD ready) and 1080P (Full HD) until you are watching/playing stuff on a 50+ inch TV.

Dont let them fool u :D

rubicon99 wrote: »
    Guys,

You wont see any difference of 720P (HD ready) and 1080P (Full HD) until you are watching/playing stuff on a 50+ inch TV.

There have been many discussions on Boards indicating that it is quite possible to see differences on TVs smaller than 50"; even as small as 32". I won't derail this thread with further discussions on the matter, but I just wanted to make a note regarding this topic.

Guys,

So what's the deal with computer screens then? Like you can deffo see the difference on them

This price is Bricks and Mortar. no online in ireland. and online price is wrong. says €499 but in store €489

on HD or HD ready it all depends on how close you are to the screen as to whether you'll notice the difference. from 8 feet on a small screen you won;t see much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

on HD or HD ready it all depends on how close you are to the screen as to whether you'll notice the difference. from 8 feet on a small screen you won;t see much difference.

Much difference, or any difference? If I get a 37" TV and sit 8 feet from it, is it worth paying the extra for Full HD (1080p) at all or is 720p/1080i just fine for standard TV, HDTV, DVD and Blu-Ray?

Does anyone know if the LG TV mentioned in the original post is good at displaying motion? I hate blurry motion, e.g. when watching sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Tester46 wrote: »
    Much difference, or any difference? If I get a 37" TV and sit 8 feet from it, is it worth paying the extra for Full HD (1080p) at all or is 720p/1080i just fine for standard TV, HDTV, DVD and Blu-Ray?

It's probably a bit academic as there seems to be little available in 720p or 1080p in a 37" screen much below this price anyway.

I'm thinking about getting a 32"-40" screen for my parents for Christmas but can't decide what to go for!

AFAIK this deal expires today but Powercity have a similar LG37LH3010 for €499.99 online does anyone know what the difference is between the 3000 and the 3010?

Knowing PowerCity the price will probably be jacked up again tomorrow....:rolleyes:

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

If you have 20/20 vision and sit 1-2 meter from the screen and analyze the same picture for an hour you just may see some diferrence.

Yes some say that they have seen difference, but was it exact same TV with same specs apart from the Pixels?? I mean you can have a better picture on a high end HD ready tv vs cheaper brand full HD.

You reckon that picture taken with 5.0 megapxiel camera is better when printing it out on a A4 paper then if taken with 3.2 megapixel??

Answer, if exactly the same specs on camera you wont see the diffrenece regardles of the 2. However if you print it out on an A3 sheet, then the 3.2 mpxl wont do the job cause it's not enough pixels for that big resolution.

Had a friend who got married few moths ago in Croatia, and he said that picture taken in church from his friend with Iphone was much better then many other pics taken with real digital camera 5+ mpxls. I was quite surprised I must say.

So for cameras it's down to optics and componets and such, and same for TV. I rather spend money on HD ready with 100hz motion for excample then a full HD with 50 hz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

If you have 20/20 vision and sit 1-2 meter from the screen and analyze the same picture for an hour you just may see some diferrence.

Yes some say that they have seen difference, but was it exact same TV with same specs apart from the Pixels?? I mean you can have a better picture on a high end HD ready tv vs cheaper brand full HD.

You reckon that picture taken with 5.0 megapxiel camera is better when printing it out on a A4 paper then if taken with 3.2 megapixel??

Answer, if exactly the same specs on camera you wont see the diffrenece regardles of the 2. However if you print it out on an A3 sheet, then the 3.2 mpxl wont do the job cause it's not enough pixels for that big resolution.

Had a friend who got married few moths ago in Croatia, and he said that picture taken in church from his friend with Iphone was much better then many other pics taken with real digital camera 5+ mpxls. I was quite surprised I must say.

So for cameras it's down to optics and componets and such, and same for TV. I rather spend money on HD ready with 100hz motion for excample then a full HD with 50 hz.

True what you say there, that it's not all down to resolution. A high end HD Ready Pioneer will really be vastly superior to many Full HD TV's from the lower end of the budget scale. All things being equal 1080p is the way to go, but aside from that many other factors make up the bigger picture (pun intended!!).
    On a seperate note, the friend who says the iPhone camera took better pictures than many others - I'm into photography a bit, hobby of mine, and I have the latest iPhone and can tell you now that my 5 and a half year old point and shoot camera with 5MP is still leagues ahead of the iPhone, which has a reasonable camera for a phone, but a crap camera in real terms. No phone has a camera able to better a point and shoot from any reputable make. Its the hands controlling the various cameras that was the deciding factor in that case!

• Advertisement
Advertisement