Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

connecting to xbox live using satellite internet

• 07-11-2009 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

i was wondering if anyone here can connect to xbox live using satellite internet. i live in galway way out of the city. i have internet called eirewire which is satellite. i tried to connect wireless via my laptop but it still wont work. my brother lives in america and he says xbox realeased a statement saying they are blocking satellite internet users from using xbox live because they tend to be slower than cable or DSL and are slowing down gameplay with others. can anyone tell me of this is true? if anyone can get on xbox live with satellite let me know how you did it. cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Sorry I dont know anyone with sat broadband but I believe the ping is horrific,and even if you could connect,it would be unplayable.

Also if Micro$oft are blocking that type of connection there is f all you can do about it

Not much help I know,sorry:o

To find out your ping and upload speeds etc go to http://www.speedtest.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭tribesman44

615345323.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/615345323.png

they are my results. sucks because we had no broadband in the area. BT and eircom were around the corner but not putting in our area. then finally airwire became available. we got it about 6 months ago and now found out eircom is putting in our area now. FML....and we did a 1 year contract. all this with forza 3 and MW2 out...fuuuuuuuuuuu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

615345323.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/615345323.png

they are my results. sucks because we had no broadband in the area. BT and eircom were around the corner but not putting in our area. then finally airwire became available. we got it about 6 months ago and now found out eircom is putting in our area now. FML....and we did a 1 year contract. all this with forza 3 and MW2 out...fuuuuuuuuuuu

Thats actually a really good ping there and the upload speed is quite good, are you on a 1meg package?

GAAman wrote: »
    Thats actually a really good ping there and the upload speed is quite good, are you on a 1meg package?

we are actually on a 2mb package. they only have 1 and 2...looking to get faster in the future they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

with that speed you should be fine. for instance, I had 2 360s running off BT 3mb package, which only has 300K or so upload, and both were playing online in Forza 3 with 6 other players. No lag at all. No voicechat either though (so that might have helped). I was amazed myself to see it working !

• Advertisement

ondafly wrote: »
    with that speed you should be fine. for instance, I had 2 360s running off BT 3mb package, which only has 300K or so upload, and both were playing online in Forza 3 with 6 other players. No lag at all. No voicechat either though (so that might have helped). I was amazed myself to see it working !

ok, speed is fine. but what about the fact that its satellite? i tried wirelessly connecting via my laptop and it wont work. someone said i might need a router and then i read microsoft is blocking people who use satellite internet. pain in the a$$!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Christ thats harsh.Nothing wrong with those speeds.(that ping is about as low as you'll get).

Wonder how they know its a sat connection?

Edit:does the sat connection give you firewall and NAT settings?If it does they could be stopping the access

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Christ thats harsh.Nothing wrong with those speeds.(that ping is about as low as you'll get).

Wonder how they know its a sat connection?

Edit:does the sat connection give you firewall and NAT settings?If it does they could be stopping the access

not sure about the firewall of NAT settings. ill have to check it out. got so frustrated trying to get the wireless connection to work. havent looked at it since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

that cant be satellite, it must be wireless

alternatively, run a ping and see what the response times are there, to make sure speedtest isnt acting up

event wrote: »
    that cant be satellite, it must be wireless

alternatively, run a ping and see what the response times are there, to make sure speedtest isnt acting up

man, im an idiot. i listened to my wife when she told me we had satellite. its wireless. this is what we have. http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/home

well this is good news...it must be a firewall issue.

• Advertisement

just tested again. 9pm on a sunday night is usually the slowest time with everyone off work and school.

616522761.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Ah that'd get you going fine on XBL i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

man, im an idiot. i listened to my wife when she told me we had satellite. its wireless. this is what we have. http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/home

well this is good news...it must be a firewall issue.

ah you're laughing, that'd be great

ping under 20ms, that'll be perfect

event wrote: »
    ah you're laughing, that'd be great

ping under 20ms, that'll be perfect

still cant get connected to XBL. was on to airwire support and a technician is supposed to be calling back later for a walk through. has something to do with the IP address. the funny part is i have a bachelors degree in information systems. college FTL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭manufan16

you can export your wireless settings from your pc/laptop to a usb stick and then plug it into the xbox. it automatically detects everything and sets you up for xbox live.
    I think I got the steps from the xbox site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

your upload and ping are far better than mine...

617320600.png

Advertisement