Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trophy Homes

Options
  • 07-11-2009 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭

Heads up: Sunday Indo have a special giving details of the houses that the Union Leaders own - see if they are on par with Pat's trophy home.

Getting very personal now :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lol this is just as stupid as the term trophy home.

People live in houses.

Trophies go in houses.

Unions brought it on themselves I guess but utter stupidity awards all round I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I wont be taking any sort of that crap now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

lol....Kenny took over nine hundred thousand euro worth of crap off the tv licence payer in 2008. Its not as if he could get similar or more money in American or UK tv. Pity the bosses in RTE negiotated his salary like Bertie dealt with the unions, instead of like a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I agree, this is getting silly.

Anybody know what the guys in TV3 are making?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Should be interesting, especially with the amount of money they are earning. People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones....:D

• Advertisement

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Should be interesting, especially with the amount of money they are earning. People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones....:D

Yeah but at the end of the day its nothing we didn't know and so not really news or useful to anyone in any way.

Maybe it will make people in unions wake up that the union leaders fit the description of elite they throw around so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    I agree, this is getting silly.

Anybody know what the guys in TV3 are making?

this was talked about on a thread here a few weeks ago, the top wage at tv3 is apparently 80k, i've read numerous times that the expose chics are on something like 30 or 35k.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

jimmmy wrote: »
    lol....Kenny took over nine hundred thousand euro worth of crap off the tv licence payer in 2008. Its not as if he could get similar or more money in American or UK tv. Pity the bosses in RTE negiotated his salary like Bertie dealt with the unions, instead of like a business.
    yeah but RTE defend these vast amounts because they want to ensure that the competition don't snap up Kenny et al and that they are market rates, etc.
    ...and people say drugs aren't rampant in RTE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59,625 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Maybe we'll see a 'counter-exposé' of the type of house(s) owned/ lived in by the senior management & executives of the Independent :D...and then a 'counter-counter exposé exclusive' of something else yawn inducing zzzz........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Maybe we'll see a 'counter-exposé' of the type of house(s) owned/ lived in by the senior management & executives of the Independent :D.
    Sir Anthony & Lady O'Reilly's official residence is in the Bahamas at Lyford Cay. It's an exclusive gated community.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Here is the article: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/geraghtys-des-res-and-the-house-jack-built-1937151.html

Jack O'Connor made the 'trophy home' remark. Not sure what the others did to deserve this. They are private sector workers are entitled to receive the market rate for their work. Their wages are an internal matter for the Union members.

When they call for taxes on the higher paid they are saying 'tax people like me more'. They understand that people in their wage bracket can afford to pay more to fund social services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

thebman wrote: »
    Yeah but at the end of the day its nothing we didn't know and so not really news or useful to anyone in any way.

Maybe it will make people in unions wake up that the union leaders fit the description of elite they throw around so often.

You're right, tax those high earning elites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    When they call for taxes on the higher paid they are saying 'tax people like me more'. They understand that people in their wage bracket can afford to pay more to fund social services.
    That's an extremely generous interpretation of Jack's comments. When he made the trophy home comment, there was no mention of "we" or "us".

That's an extremely generous interpretation of Jack's comments. When he made the trophy home comment, there was no mention of "we" or "us".

Yes in fact he was asked for an example of a trophy home.

Why didn't he suggest his own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Interesting that they didn't include any NUJ leaders' homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I wasn't referring specfiaclfy to him. I was talking about generally how the Union leadership are calling fro greater taxes on people like themselves who earn good wages.

For what is worth I think O'Conner is out of his depth. A couple of Union leaders have been exposed as lightweights over the last year. When they got elected into their positions the industrial landscapes was much different to what it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

The Sunday Independent is absurd and if a house worth 650,000 near Naas is a trophy home then what is Aengus Fanning's house? A 'Jules Rimet' house.

None of the union leaders mentioned live in what could be called a trophy home by any stretch of the imagination. The article mentions Des Geraghty's house (former leader of SIPTU) because it is the closest to being a trophy home even his house is not a trophy home.

Peter McCloone lives in a corporation house for flips sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

It is described as "local authority built" in that 'article'. Is Beaumount actually in county Fingal, that Dublin, South Dublin, Fingal, Dun Laoighre - Rathdown (is that Stepaside?) stuff confuses me.

Advertisement