Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wide Angle Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 Lens

• 07-11-2009 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Is this a good "starter" wide angle lens

Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 Wide Angle Lens MFG Part #: 2505A002

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=216&modelid=7297#ModelTechSpecsAct

I am thinking a zoom on a wide angle is not needed since I can always crop later.

This lens is also quite affordable and very portable.

Anyone have an oppinion on it?

Also I cannot find a cheaper alternative from Sigma or the other Canon alternatives. Can I save money by purchasing a non canon version and what would that be?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-28mm-f-2.8-Lens-Review.aspx

Others will add their views, I'm eating at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭petercox

The link put up by the previous poster is a good one - that site is usually spot on with its reviews.

He's lukewarm on the lens - it's not stellar in quality, but it is inexpensive and lightweight.

I'd hesitate to buy a wide angle prime if you're planning to zoom by cropping - you're better off getting an inexpensive zoom lens (the Canon 18-55mm kit lens is actually not a bad choice if you have an APS-C sized sensor (which every Canon below the 5D does)).

Prime lenses are excellent if you can get (at least close to) the final framing in camera. If you can't, and you don't have a longer lens then you'll end up losing quality and resolution if you crop aggressively.

If you want to go the prime route, get the 28mm f/2.8 and the 50mm f/1.8 - that way you'll be able to 'zoom' by switching lenses while retaining a lightweight kit.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

now I am confused!

What I am trying to do it take shots of large things very close to the camera.

What do you mean when you talk about "prime"?

I already have two lenses 18-55 and 55-200. I just assumed that the 28mm one I referenced since it was sold as a "wide angle" it would provide me with a wider view. From what you are saying my 18-55 could gave me the same viewing angle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Prime = fixed focal length.

18mm is obviously going to be wider than 28mm, on the same sensor of course.

Which body do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I use the EF 28mm f/2.8 lens extensively in my portraiture and landscaping, and I will swear by it:

family.jpg

10.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭petercox

The focal length on the lens (the number given in millimeters) describes the angle of view of the lens. Smaller numbers equal wider angles.

Your 18-55mm lens includes 28mm in its focal length range, so in fact the 28mm f/2.8 lens will give you a narrower field of view than your existing lens.

And yes, a prime lens is a lens that has no zoom. A zoom lens allows you to change the field of view of the lens by changing its focal length. A prime lens has a fixed field of view.

Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

It's a decent lens, I have one myself.

I don't consider it as a wide-angle lens on an APS-C body though, in fact the reason I got one was to use on a dSLR as the effective focal length would be close to 50mm (I was shooting a lot of BW film with a 50mm f/1.8 at the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

thanks everyone

Still confused.

My camera is a Canon Rebel XS

So what would you all suggest buying. There are so many times when I cannot get a shot using my 18-55 as I am not far enough back from but I cannot go back any further!

So what you are all saying is that this 25mm will not help and it being labeled as a "wide angle" is not really correct.

So would a "wide angle converter lens" help?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

dazzerb wrote: »
    So what would you all suggest buying. There are so many times when I cannot get a shot using my 18-55 as I am not far enough back from but I cannot go back any further!
    then you need a lens with a focal length of wider than 18mm
    something like a 10-22 would be a good addition to get wider than the 18 your current lens provides
    something like
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=148&modelid=10510
    would be a great buy for a wider lens

So what you are all saying is that this 25mm will not help and it being labeled as a "wide angle" is not really correct.
    it is wide angle but then so is your 18mm lens
    i think you are looking for something most would classify as a 'super-wide angle'

So would a "wide angle converter lens" help?
    converters are pretty poor quality filters that go on your existing lens. they are relatively cheap but very limiting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

EF 24mm f1.4L

Advertisement