Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow is getting a new Book Shop

Options
  • 07-11-2009 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

I know I am shocked too.

It is opening on College Street, a couple of doors up the Med Bar (where travel shop used to be). They are signs on the door/window saying book shop is opening - no idea when.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Nice one!

Better be a REAL book shop and not the excuse for a book shop that is Byrnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

+1 for this. They should never have gotten rid of Pauls bookshop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Paul retired from shop. He had been in it over 20 years. He sold premises. Paul is an avid tennis player. No guesses where he is everyday:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Paul retired from shop. He had been in it over 20 years. He sold premises. Paul is an avid tennis player. No guesses where he is everyday:-)

Tell him to get back into it!
    please! :(

seriously, when his shop was there I used to always read books of all different kinds because he knew his stuff, I could ask him for a book that had X and X in it and he'd recommend something.
    You ask that in Byrnes and you're met with a blank stare and a brief wave in the direction of the top 20. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There used be a Book Centre in Tullow St like the ones in KK, Wex and Waterford a few years back. Can't place exactly where it was, think it was around Macs :confused:
    Easons also bailed out of town which was a pity indeed. I think it came down to the decline of Tullow St. The business was surely there, but the footfall went down so much...I mean if a place like Portlaoise can have one, it's kinda perplexing to think the Carlow one closed.

EDIT; That's the Pauls one I'm thinking of...Book Centre may ahve been easons previously...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

whooohooo, at long last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 carlowgal

great news about the new bookshop.hope it's a good one.the book centre in Waterford is my favourite,loads of room,wide variety of books,good coffee and lovely chocolates,my idea of a little heaven:).Paul's bookshop was great,i loved the second hand books there,always a good read to be had without breaking the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

yay!! delighted!! byrnes is a waste of space!!! cant wait!!!!:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i miss pauls book shop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I think we got our hopes up about the book shop. It is awful. Either Byrnes have more books in them. It is pretty woeful as bookshops go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

typical really I suppose. they probably couldn't get enough funding to start it properly and will possibly fail to survive due to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I think we got our hopes up about the book shop. It is awful. Either Byrnes have more books in them. It is pretty woeful as bookshops go.

Yeah unfortunately it's just not good enough. It's not the fact that it's small that goes against it, more the fact that there's hardly any books. I went in looking for a present and left within two minutes.
    It'd be great to see some competition for the woeful Byrnes, but this ain't it.
    Maybe it will improve over time. If it survives much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

That's a shame. Maybe we need to fill out a suggestions card for the new bookshop! Out of curiosity, is there a decent bookshop in Kilkenny? I cant think of one off hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

That's a shame. Maybe we need to fill out a suggestions card for the new bookshop! Out of curiosity, is there a decent bookshop in Kilkenny? I cant think of one off hand.

there's 4 god book shops,
    Dubray's book shop in Market Cross shopping centre
    Khans book shop on James Street
    The book centre on the High Street
    Stone House Books in Mac Donagh Junction shopping centre
    Khan's is my favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

there's 4 god book shops,
    Dubray's book shop in Market Cross shopping centre
    Khans book shop on James Street
    The book centre on the High Street
    Stone House Books in Mac Donagh Junction shopping centre
    Khan's is my favourite

Yea, and I think its in the book centre, you can grab a book, buy a coffee and sit down and have a bit of a read.

Man we need a half decent bookshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 donal1980

cashback wrote: »
    Yeah unfortunately it's just not good enough. It's not the fact that it's small that goes against it, more the fact that there's hardly any books. I went in looking for a present and left within two minutes.
    It'd be great to see some competition for the woeful Byrnes, but this ain't it.
    Maybe it will improve over time. If it survives much longer.

Id say if you give them time it will be a really good shop people. its onlyu opened so im sure they will stock up loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Please do not drag up zombie threads that are over 14 months old.

Thread locked

Regards
    Tommy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement