Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Year- Your thoughts so far

• 07-11-2009 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I'm in first year and i'm just interested in what everyone thinks about life at Maynooth so far both academically and of course socially? Impressed/Unimpressed? Thinking of dropping out? Absolutely loving it? Just interested to hear ppl's thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Personally I absolutley love it! I mean there a couple of bits that get to me every now and then, but otherwise tis great! Things like weather, getting dark early, and my distance from the college, aren't really things that I can blame on the college, but so far they are my biggest complaints!

The puddles on new campus are annoying, and I fear trench foot has set in but I have almost gotten used to it now, and have decided to bring my wellies down next week :P

The one thing that does bug me, that the college can change is the library. The lack of sockets is such a pain, and the noise on the upper floors is ridiculous. Also a ban should be in place for facebook on university computers. I do have my own laptop, but it is such a pain having to wait if I want to print when half the people at the computers are tagging photos or harvesting crops.

I found that the student population are a really great bunch of people, and the majority of staff are soo kind, and would gladly give there time, especially in the music department. I love my subjects, have a great bunch of friends, new, old, and boardsies of course. I love all the clubs and socs I joined, and yeah...really am happy with everything!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I'll second tootyflutty!

I'm loving it too. I feel right at home in my classes, and I love the clubs/socs I've joined. I'm not too fond of writing essays, but I guess I just have to get used to it - I've only done one so far anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

The one thing that does bug me, that the college can change is the library. The lack of socktes is such a pain, and the noise on the upper floors is ridiculous. Also a ban should be in place for facebook on university computers. I do have my own laptop, but it is such a pain having to wait if I want to print when half the people at the computers are tagging photos or harvesting crops.

+1 gazillion

tootyflutty, remind me to hug you if I ever meet you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I'm really enjoying the first year of my second masters and 8th year in Maynooth as a student/staff member. And no, I don't care that you didn't want my opinion. I'm old and very grumpy. 25 in a week and a bit *blows party whistle*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Plattsy

I came here knowing no-one. I was amazed and most pleasantly surprised to make so many friends and know so many people so quickly- almost immediately, in fact. I was expecting to be rather isolated for quite a while; thankfully that didn't happen at all. Had a really busy social calendar so far. Course-wise, everything is very interesting, workload is manageable, etc etc. Pretty happy so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭MsDarcy

As a self confessed facebook addict I totally agree about the library situation, standing in that area in the library waiting for people to harvest their crops whilst i actually need to print something importent off is making my blood boil :o

Other that, you know what i love about college? not being stuck between four walls of 800 hundred teenage girls - just love being out of school :) FINALLY :)

Also love how quaint and nice Maynooth village is.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Was at about 15 lectures in first year so really can't comment! Note: i'm not bragging. Go to your lectures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lsuzanne1987

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying the first year of my second masters and 8th year in Maynooth as a student/staff member. And no, I don't care that you didn't want my opinion. I'm old and very grumpy. 25 in a week and a bit *blows party whistle*
    No, not at all, I really just wanted to get a general consensus and the fact that you've been in Maynooth for 7-8 yrs really shows how much you love the place & that is so brill.

I, myself am enjoying my time here hugely and am having a blast so far. Really like my modules & the friends i've made are great. I'm so glad I chose to go to Maynooth and not Trinners for Winners or any other huge monstrocity of a college!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I do love Maynooth but I haven't studied there all that time. You'd go insane :) And I most definitely will never be back when this masters is done. You gotta draw a line sometime :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I loved first year. Made a good few 'mates', but a handful of very good friends. Went to most lectures, didn't mess up on on getting in assigments somehow.
    Last year was an exciting one, my three big memories are:

1)My first night out in Maynooth, and being basicall the only Dub out.

2)The day a load of Maynooth students and UCD students occupied the Dept. of Finance over the 'mini budget' and fees, and my Ma texting me during it asking me how the day in college was going :rolleyes:

3)My first field trip with the class. You dont know you get on with people until you've done a bus trip and not killed anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

My first year was the best year of my entire life. I had plenty of school friends there since about 1/5 of my year went there. That said I mainly just hung out the lads in my course and we've stayed strong as a group of 7 since. Most of my friends from school have dropped out since.

Nights out were mostly a blur. As were all those mad chats with randomers in the smokin areas and all those one nighters. I wouldnt remember most of those people now. There'll only be a few prominent people that you'll remember by the next year.

Although most nights in the SU are ****e, its the Bar Exs that you'll remember.

To properly enjoy Maynooth, I would advise moving out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

My first year was frickin' brilliant, wouldn't change a thing about it. Basically my whole school went to NUIM so I had a big group of mates at the start that kinda dispersed as the year went on. Being 17 for the whole year was crap but I got over it eventually. I was alright for going to lectures but not so good at paying attention during them. Assignments were done occasionally. Made some good friends via smoking areas and stayed friends with most of them, made some strange aquaintances from drunk nights out who I only say hi to when I'm drunk (drunk friends, everybody has them). Halloween Bar Ex- that was a good night though I don't remember much of it, first Xmas day was feckin interesting (im still getting slagged about antics during it), Rag Week was messy but brilliant... and then there were all those Thursday nights that I don't remember but the pics say it all.

I was working so I could afford to go out a good bit, met some interesting people and smoked and drank during the day alot. I met my boyfriend in December and gained a whole new group of friends through him and learned alot about how my school friends were very different to who I thought they were. My group of friends now is completley different to what is was in first year but I like it and although I wasted alot of first year making friends and dossing (which I paid the price for with a not-so-amazing final grade), I wouldn't change it for anything, it taught me alot about me, my friends and life in general. Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lsuzanne1987

My first year was frickin' brilliant, wouldn't change a thing about it. Basically my whole school went to NUIM so I had a big group of mates at the start that kinda dispersed as the year went on. Being 17 for the whole year was crap but I got over it eventually. I was alright for going to lectures but not so good at paying attention during them. Assignments were done occasionally. Made some good friends via smoking areas and stayed friends with most of them, made some strange aquaintances from drunk nights out who I only say hi to when I'm drunk (drunk friends, everybody has them). Halloween Bar Ex- that was a good night though I don't remember much of it, first Xmas day was feckin interesting (im still getting slagged about antics during it), Rag Week was messy but brilliant... and then there were all those Thursday nights that I don't remember but the pics say it all.

I was working so I could afford to go out a good bit, met some interesting people and smoked and drank during the day alot. I met my boyfriend in December and gained a whole new group of friends through him and learned alot about how my school friends were very different to who I thought they were. My group of friends now is completley different to what is was in first year but I like it and although I wasted alot of first year making friends and dossing (which I paid the price for with a not-so-amazing final grade), I wouldn't change it for anything, it taught me alot about me, my friends and life in general. Good times.

Thanks for your input allandanyways...the SU should use you at the open days at the end of the month to lure in new bait, i mean students :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Plattsy wrote: »
    I came here knowing no-one. I was amazed and most pleasantly surprised to make so many friends and know so many people so quickly- almost immediately, in fact. I was expecting to be rather isolated for quite a while; thankfully that didn't happen at all. Had a really busy social calendar so far.

Thats coz you met random people like me who will talk to anyone!
    And will make you go out every night! :D:p

Thats coz you met random people like me who will talk to anyone!
    And will make you go out every night! :D:p

Indeed! And you'll never get a complaint about it from me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I really loved first year... both times haha.

Nah I'm messing. I love Maynooth. Yay!

Just wish I'd done my assignments... wouldn't have had to repeat if I had :mad::(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

So far I love it, having been in Cardiff 2 years it's nice to have a change. The people, both in college and in the town are definitely nicer and more easy going and there seems to be far more craic too.
    Enjoying the course too which is a bonus and making it to most lectures.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Plattsy wrote: »
    Indeed! And you'll never get a complaint about it from me!

lol coz that would stop me?! we all know I control everyone! :D

lol coz that would stop me?! we all know I control everyone! :D

Good point. I don't mind though!

Advertisement