Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Expensive Plasma TV

Options
  • 07-11-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi All, I'm looking for some advice on a severe problem I am having with my Panasonic 42" plasma HD TV. Essentially it turns itself off and blinks an error code at the power button.

It was bought in January 2008 (With 1 years warranty)

I kept it in storage until I got the keys to my apartment in June/July 2008

A couple of months later TV turns itself off intermittently. I contact place of purchase and was told to try a different socket, unplug out of 6 plug extension cable. This was around and August / September 2008. This would occur every now and then. I got used to it, usually leave the TV off for a few minutes and it sorts itself out. (Wish I didn't now).

July 2009 Severe problem (TV turns itself off and will not turn back on) occurs in. Contact place of purchase and TV is sent for repair. I research the problem and found out that it is one of 2 device boards that cause this particular error. TV is returned 4-5 weeks later and I was told that a board was replaced.

August 2009 A few days later a similar problem happens and the TV is sent back for repair. It is returned a week later and I was told there was no fault found.

October 2009 Playing Wii bowling on TV with 4 friends and TV powers itself off and gives blinking error at power button. Contacted place of purchase next day and they say they will contact the service agent to collect. TV works normally next day. Service agent or Panasonic do not contact me.

November 2009 TV turns itself off again when I'm watching Football Focus this morning. Contact place of purchase. I informed him that service agent had not contacted me to arrange collection of TV to investigate problem from 3 weeks ago. Reseller is very helpful, and I must say the best customer service I have ever experienced. Although in saying that I still have a faulty TV.

I have told the reseller that the TV is not fit for the purpose it was bought for and that I want a replacement as there is an obvious intermittent problem with it. It is being picked up today and that will be the 3rd time it has been taken away for repair / investigation

Where do I stand? I have lost all faith in the TV and just want a replacement now. The way I see it I started having problems after 3-4 months of use. I know it is out of warranty now, but there is obviously a problem with the TV and it started showing problems few months after use.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Under Consumer Law, you are entitled to repair/replacement/refund.

If a repair is offered, then you are entitled to expect that repair to be permanent (i.e. that the repair will last a reasonable amount of time). If the repair does not prove to be permanent, then you can seek one of the other options.

Remind the shop of this (nicely) and ask for a replacement this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

dudara wrote: »
    Under Consumer Law, you are entitled to repair/replacement/refund.

If a repair is offered, then you are entitled to expect that repair to be permanent (i.e. that the repair will last a reasonable amount of time). If the repair does not prove to be permanent, then you can seek one of the other options.

Remind the shop of this (nicely) and ask for a replacement this time around.

Thanks for the swift reply dudara :D
    The reseller is claiming that as the problems occurred outside of the 1 year warranty (bought Jan 2008), Panasonic may not replace it.

Firstly, the problems started occuring within the original warranty period. Remind them of that.

Secondly, the one year warranty thing is toss. You are entitled to more under EU law. In the EU you have a legal right to a 2 year guarantee. (Info).

If they are not aware of the EU law, let them know. If they still fail to respond within a reasonable timeframe, inform them in writing that you will be taking them to the Small Claims Court.

Many thanks for that link.

TV was just picked up a few mins ago. Have to hand it to the reseller he went above and beyond and left a loaner TV for the weekend and will call me on Monday with info from Panasonic and the service agent.

But armed with this info I will be stating my case more "aggressively" and will remind him of the EU Law.

Actually based on the info you supplied I wonder if they were holding out till Jan 2010 as the TV would be 2 years old then. Hhhhhmmmmm

It does seem that they are trying to help you, but that amount of repairs is not really acceptable.

Just remember at all times to be firm but nice.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

dudara wrote: »
    Firstly, the problems started occuring within the original warranty period. Remind them of that.

Secondly, the one year warranty thing is toss. You are entitled to more under EU law. In the EU you have a legal right to a 2 year guarantee. (Info).

If they are not aware of the EU law, let them know. If they still fail to respond within a reasonable timeframe, inform them in writing that you will be taking them to the Small Claims Court.

Was this TV purchased in Ireland? If so, the above is not entirely accurate. The irish Sale of Goods and Supply of services act 1980 can provide for even longer period and provides a greater level of protection than the EU law stated. The 2 year EU rule was not implemented here because of this. If you did take them to the SCC you would be doing so under the irish act and not the EU one.

Nonetheless if it was bought in Ireland, contact the seller and quote the act. Give them a week or so to remedy the situation and mention you will go the small claims court route if you have to. If the situation isn't resolved (with a replacement or refund), file a claim online. Don't worry about the warranty, it is in addition to, and not a replacement of, your statutory rights. It is reasonable to expect a TV like you have to last longer than it has!

If you did buy it outside Ireland, then the EU law above would be what to go on. You can now file small claims procedures in other EU block countries through the Irish system.

Thanks for the clarification Elessar - good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I know it is out of warranty now, but there is obviously a problem with the TV and it started showing problems few months after use.
    this one year warranty is with the manufacturer whom you have no dealings or contract with! it is an EXTRA on top of your legally guaranteed statutory rights.

in this case your tv seems to have an intermittant fault which has been repaired once already so i would give them anotther chance to fix this properly before you ask for a replacement from the retailer.

an expensive item such as a television should reasonably be expected to last upwards of 5 years and you should expect the retailer to provide after sales care until 6 years from the date of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I've seen a few tv's recently that exhibited similar issues (failing to stay turned on) due to the mains voltage dropping.

Are you in a residential area? Does it occur at peak usage times? Have you got it plugged straight to the wall?

Elessar wrote: »
    Was this TV purchased in Ireland? If so, the above is not entirely accurate. The irish Sale of Goods and Supply of services act 1980 can provide for even longer period and provides a greater level of protection than the EU law stated. The 2 year EU rule was not implemented here because of this. If you did take them to the SCC you would be doing so under the irish act and not the EU one.

Yes, bought in Dublin at a store that is regarded by a lot of Board members as one of the best.
    Nonetheless if it was bought in Ireland, contact the seller and quote the act. Give them a week or so to remedy the situation and mention you will go the small claims court route if you have to. If the situation isn't resolved (with a replacement or refund), file a claim online. Don't worry about the warranty, it is in addition to, and not a replacement of, your statutory rights. It is reasonable to expect a TV like you have to last longer than it has!

Will contact him again tomorrow to see what is happening with Panasonics stand, and also to state that 3 board replacements are unacceptable and I will be pursuing either a replacement or refund. Along with mentioning the act you wrote about.

Will do

• Advertisement
Advertisement