Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. France WC Playoff Sat/Wed 14/18 November **K/Os 8 PM/9 PM**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Headshot wrote: »
    iv heard alot of good stuff about Gourcuff, but he really disappointed me tonight, thought he was very poor

Other fella gignac looked decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

As a home team ,we were rubbish, we could only stop them playing till we ran out of steam, we couldn't pass a ball in the 2nd half. Guarantee you, we will play much better in away match. Traps style suits away games but is rubbish for home match.

Midfield in home game is vital for creativity, we had none tonight at all.

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

iv heard alot of good stuff about Gourcuff, but he really disappointed me tonight, thought he was very poor

Agree, he was mediocre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Unlucky tonight. We prob had the best chances. Going to be a tough ask in Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

are RTE going to bother to get the rights for Wednesday night now i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Come on Eamo, don't hold back :D

Greyham wrote: »
    Ah stop, they were not told sit back, they were simply exhausted.

after 45 minutes????? :rolleyes:
    Greyham wrote: »
    You could see ireland were giving it their absolute all during the first half , and you could see it wasnt even phasing france , they were quietly confident , and very composed, that was so obvious in the second half , the atmosphere totally changed, france became very composed , very collected , and ireland were outdone, sadly

i think ireland put up a great fight for alot of the game, and well done to them , there was some good football , but in the end , france were just more collected ,and very tight , they won , they deserved it

Ireland did give their all tonight and i personally thought that if they kept the tempo up in second half the game was there for them. Jesus they were even able to attack for 90 under Stan. I know, fair enough france did play well and are an excellent team but ireland encouraged them all the way from the 45th minute. they didnt put in the crunchers like 1st half. Duff was terrible. he didnt help kilbane out at all. i thought ledger turned his backside to that ball a bit too. ireland can score in france but its too little to late as france will have the game beyond them. i did feel stephen reid should have at least been called up to the squad. liam lawrence was awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ireland played to the top of their ability but the lack of creativity and ideas were exposed repeatedly especially in the second half. We wore ourselves out early in the second half and then it was all France. We got out of jail only going one down and are still in with a chance on Wednesday, its a very slim one but if we can get a goal the French may fall into a pit of self doubt.

Now I have to go back and face my gloating French wife and keep away from the phone in case the in-laws all start ringing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That was the international version of Fulham v Bolton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

OPENROAD wrote: »
    gone crap now, they shouldn't have taken the ad break when they did.
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    Come on Eamo, don't hold back :D

Sounds like it's turned around again.

Can't say I agree, they won plenty of ball alright, but they didn't play alot of super football that I noticed. Andrews in particular was quite sloppy with his passing throughout the match

Right, they tapered off in the second half but from watching the first half in my opinion, Ireland played the better football and the lads in midfield surprised me with their composure and passing. Granted it was keep it simple stuff but Ireland were stringing a good few passes and moves about in the first half albeit not creating anything of note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

big_show wrote: »
    are RTE going to bother to get the rights for Wednesday night now i wonder?

I am sure they will try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yet again I'm left just shaking my head.

I'm sorry I for one minute do not believe that a country consisting of over 3 million people, cannot provide at least one midfielder in the ages of 19-27 that has a concept of football, possession, pace control and passing.

And before you say Andy Reid, hes not the answer imo : /

Robbie Keane for me again tonight showed how over rated he is. All he does is moan, he reminds me of a captain I used to have, always scored tap ins, moaned his way around doing **** all except waving his hands at everyone, one day our centre half just decked him.

His forward play for Ireland is terrible, and I'm shocked a coach like Trap doesnt see the problem in our top goalscorer running around all over the pitch.When do Doyle and Keane ever play centrally.

Now its not their fault, there is a piss poor midfield behind them, and two full backs that like to just launch balls in the air all day long.

I can not see that team reaching any major competition, and in truth I think its better for the game. If we can all drop our little passionate irish hats, world cups and European championships should be about celebrating football and having the best talent on show, if I was any other country in the world I'd be pissed off to see Ireland playing their complete one dimensional football in a world cup.

We were lucky tonight, that France just werent at the races, they played a lackluster pace first and second half, and when they increased their speed and passing ability by 5%, they completely overwhelmed us, completely.

It says it all when Irelands chances on goal, were created through French mistakes, except from one corner that I can remember.

Having heart and courage and commitment goes a certain distance, but your still a mile short of achieving anything.

Midfielders with no creativity and strikers receiving no service, and of those strikers, only one worth being on the pitch...

Never felt we had a chance when we drew France, and I was hoping I'd be wrong early on in the game, but my predictions were quickly realised second half when the French technical ability of simple passing, started causing nackered legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Good effort but in fairness, we have no creativity whatsoever.
    I don't think France stepped up a level, they were pretty dire throughout the 90 mins.

I'm really looking forward to Paris though, I think we might surprise some people with an early goal :)

mike65 wrote: »
    That was the international version of Fulham v Bolton

Fulham are a decent team :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

poor? in front of an empty net he put it out for a throw.

i wouldn't be worried about him at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

my feelings on the game exactly there thedoc.

on an aside note, sounesses beard is terrifying

ntlbell wrote: »

That was Gignac afaik?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

TheDoc wrote: »
    I can not see that team reaching any major competition, and in truth I think its better for the game. If we can all drop our little passionate irish hats, world cups and European championships should be about celebrating football and having the best talent on show, if I was any other country in the world I'd be pissed off to see Ireland playing their complete one dimensional football in a world cup.

The world cups and Euro championships are also about supporting your team through the qualifying campaign and if they get to the finals. Does not matter how they play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

:p

your thinking of gignac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Translator time! WOO! :D In an Ireland kit too ;)

the translator with the jersey on under her suit jacket LOL

gas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

The hot translator has an ireland jersey on under her blazer, ha ha

the translator with the jersey on under her suit jacket LOL

gas

Snap

Lucky for you, it's likely you'll get to feast on the delights of New Zealand in the World Cup instead after they beat such forces as New Caledonia and Bahrain. :P

:p

your thinking of gignac

JD + Belgium beers

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Yet again I'm left just shaking my head.

I'm sorry I for one minute do not believe that a country consisting of over 3 million people, cannot provide at least one midfielder in the ages of 19-27 that has a concept of football, possession, pace control and passing.

And before you say Andy Reid, hes not the answer imo : /

Robbie Keane for me again tonight showed how over rated he is. All he does is moan, he reminds me of a captain I used to have, always scored tap ins, moaned his way around doing **** all except waving his hands at everyone, one day our centre half just decked him.

His forward play for Ireland is terrible, and I'm shocked a coach like Trap doesnt see the problem in our top goalscorer running around all over the pitch.When do Doyle and Keane ever play centrally.

Now its not their fault, there is a piss poor midfield behind them, and two full backs that like to just launch balls in the air all day long.

We were lucky tonight, that France just werent at the races, they played a lackluster pace first and second half, and when they increased their speed and passing ability by 5%, they completely overwhelmed us, completely.

It says it all when Irelands chances on goal, were created through French mistakes, except from one corner that I can remember.

Having heart and courage and commitment goes a certain distance, but your still a mile short of achieving anything.

Midfielders with no creativity and strikers receiving no service, and of those strikers, only one worth being on the pitch...

Never felt we had a chance when we drew France, and I was hoping I'd be wrong early on in the game, but my predictions were quickly realised second half when the French technical ability of simple passing, started causing nackered legs.

Can't disagree with this.

Dunphy:-

" He might call up Andy Reid.........he wont..!"

WTF?

whats the link to the webcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Anyone have a link for the webcast pls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

Who ever that French mime guy is on RTE, i feel i must kill him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

I am sick of people saying it is over, Ireland will go to France on Wednesday and be under no pressure. Some of the decisions were talk able, Ireland not getting the conner, 1 or 2 of the offsides.

Ireland will have to do to Paris and play, Mc Geady to start for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

whats the link to the webcast?

http://www.rte.ie/loive sorry I mean http://www.rte.ie/live

*edit - lol they both work actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭mmafan81

had france to score 1st goal of the game between 76-85 mins(15/1),unfortunately i was roughly correct,pity they couldnt have waited 4 mins and give me a nice payout to ease the pain

I really wish RTE wold do a lo-fi version, 400kbps for a chat is wasting download!

is it me or is it very quiet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Whats gona happen in 3 or 4 years when robbie, damein, dunne and given retire. The Irish team is gonna be pure muck and tonights performance is going to look masterful.

The FAI need to set up an academy and organise teams based on provinces which can play in the SPL or something. We have to start developing players.

We cant put out out worse crap then was there tonight.

Leon best to start up front in 4 years! FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I can't see anything except a web cam of the pitch

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

ditto..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well France outplayed Ireland, I'll say that much but they were lucky to get that goal, very lucky. They may have got one anyway but it's now impossible to know.

The only good is that Ireland really did play their heart out but they were all too easily closed out even in the first half. Again Irish counter attacks were just not looking dangerous and just petered out as usual:(. And the other good thing, if you can call it that, is that Ireland will now have nothing to lose and everything to gain in Paris so that's the one thing to look forward to but if France score you may as well turn it off and that is if the TV rights have even been got. There simply is no room for error.

My nerves were jangling after that first half. I must say , in a perverse way, the French goal almost came as something of a relief.

Its on!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I scratch my head when I watch Ireland. Why play with two forwards when your trying to stifle the other team. The midfield ends up knackered and so do the forwards trying to track back and then spring forward.

Why not drop a forward and play a more creative player in the middle. Also affords a chance to play a more attcking player on the wing.

Anyway, i just needed to say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hey Arnold

hooray, more of souness and his beard!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Think Dunphy summed it up best. We have another two years of this as long as Trap is in charge.
    Credit where credit is due we battled hard but we are a defensive team who were exposed tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I scratch my head when I watch Ireland. Why play with two forwards when your trying to stifle the other team. The midfield ends up knackered and so do the forwards trying to track back and then spring forward.

Why not drop a forward and play a more creative player in the middle. Also affords a chance to play a more attcking player on the wing.

Anyway, i just needed to say that.

Your ideas are convincing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter but unfortunately make too much sense in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Leon Best is having a very good season in the Championship to be fair.

What can I say? *sigh* Andy Reid is one of the most on form players in the Premier League at present and offers creativity and passing abilities. What does Andrews and Whelan offer that he couldn't? Well it's not bloody defensive discipline as France passed the ball around for ages without a hint of pressing for a tackle. I despair, I honestly do.

Aidan McGeady MUST start in Paris - he is the only winger with pace and tries to run at defenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

"Well one of the things that Jack Charlton did .... he got John Aldridge and Ray Houghton under teh granny rule" - Dunphy as eloquent as ever :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

I only have a black screen, but have audio.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement