Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. France WC Playoff Sat/Wed 14/18 November **K/Os 8 PM/9 PM**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

Don't think you can fault the performance of the team. It has been light years ahead of most of our group performances.

We have just come up against too much quality here. It was crazy to underestimate this French side.

Hi Ger Doyle ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I scratch my head when I watch Ireland. Why play with two forwards when your trying to stifle the other team. The midfield ends up knackered and so do the forwards trying to track back and then spring forward.

Why not drop a forward and play a more creative player in the middle. Also affords a chance to play a more attcking player on the wing.

Anyway, i just needed to say that.

Think your right with that..
    some one maybe with a free roll across the midfield to try and get free kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

What can I say? *sigh* Andy Reid is one of the most on form players in the Premier League at present and offers creativity and passing abilities. What does Andrews and Whelan offer that he couldn't? Well it's not bloody defensive discipline as France passed the ball around for ages without a hint of pressing for a tackle. I despair, I honestly do.

He doesn't fit the system of trying not to lose games. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

What is it with our tv pundits who turn up unshaven. Trevor Steven, Kenny Cunningham and now Sounness. Not on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

yesterday baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

We need Reid. We need Reid.
    Obviously enough.
    Trapp's just being a little bit unbelievably arrogant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Doocey wrote: »
    We need Reid. We need Reid.

I feel the need...the need for Reid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

is bill drinking berocca? i know it's been a long day, but still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eamo is settling down to a good fireside argument!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Dunphy getting a bit carried away about JOS :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

It's true...but is it right...

Genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Gutted...a really spirited first half display had me very optimistic, but it all just fizzled out after that...John O'Shea's chance was like deja vu from 2004! Although it wasnt as clear cut.

Perhaps Traps attitude toward 2nd leg wont have changed that much, I think his plan was always 0-0 at home and try and nick a goal in Paris, so we still need to nick a goal....maybe we'll see a more gung ho Ireland on Weds.

My heart says we can still do it, score first in Paris and put it up em...
    But head says its mission impossible

/shakes head sadly

I hope Riccardo Dunne sticks one on Diarra in 2nd leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

LET JOHN FINISH!

(BABY)

Putting together the pieces. So like Trap asked Andy Reid to put down the guitar. Andy said something back to Traps translator. Lost in translation?

now come on lads :D

I do love the RTE panel, I really do

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

"Let John Finish..." :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

I reckon Souness would love to whack Dunphy. This is all kicking off. If there was a World Cup for car crash punditry there could only be one winner.......

Edit: Bit of sexism there from Bill.

LET ME FINISH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Gutted. :(

Ah well, one goal over there is possible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

bad defeat

briany wrote: »
    I reckon Souness would love to whack Dunphy. This is all kicking off. If there was a World Cup for car crash punditry there could only be one winner.......

Edit: Bit of sexism there from Bill.
    Your forgetting Sounness had a triple bypass. So he cant lose his temper with Eamon or his ticker will go.
    In any case Sounness has been there done that seen that on the playing field. This is nothing in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

LOL at John Giles referring to that anonymous email calling for a more long ball style of play.

Bill: "It's unsigned."

Giles: "It's Jack Charlton"

I needed a laugh. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

that was an abrupt end to it

nuxxx wrote: »
    bad defeat

Imagine a door without a hinge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Well that it over, it didn't say anything about the game been live on Wedneday.

• Advertisement

Slick sign off from Billo, didn't make the error of alluding to the coverage (or lack thereof) on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Headshot wrote: »
    Imagine a door without a hinge

It wouldn't open or close...

...Pretty much making it not a door anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Your forgetting Sounness had a triple bypass.

Really? I did not know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It wouldn't open or close...

...Pretty much making it not a door anymore.

No. It's a door without a hinge.

Don't you know anything about football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I believe Bill alluded to the issue of Wednesdays game in the normal broadcast by saying it was still undecided whether they'd be showing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

anywayz, my overall of the game was

1st half

We played great, altho i always had the feeling france at any one moment could open us up and score. But we did have a great chance with keane and lawrence

2nd half

France dominated us in fairness and deserved to score

Overall:

We dont have the squad to beat france in this playoff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

TheDoc wrote: »

Robbie Keane for me again tonight showed how over rated he is. All he does is moan, he reminds me of a captain I used to have, always scored tap ins, moaned his way around doing **** all except waving his hands at everyone, one day our centre half just decked him.

His forward play for Ireland is terrible, and I'm shocked a coach like Trap doesnt see the problem in our top goalscorer running around all over the pitch.When do Doyle and Keane ever play centrally.

Keane was rubbish tonight ,he hasnt got a clue how to play against good defenders.
    For the whole match his sole tactic was to run directly in behind defenders hoping that they would make a mistake or slip up.
    He hardly ever got in front of his marker or held the ball up .
    Decent defenders wont miss the ball Robbie and let you run in behind them.
    That tactic might be ok playing against bad teams in the Premiership .
    Saying that he didnt get much service but it infuriates me watching him play like a headless chicken.
    Doyle held the ball up well ,he seems to have no pace though .

Trapatoni's plan was obviously not to concede tonight and give vast amounts of possession to the French.
    Surely it would have been better to include an extra central midfielder at the expense of a striker and try to hold onto the ball a bit more.
    Playing 2 wide players in Duff and Lawrence is fine if you expect to have the majority of the possession but its not wise if you set out your stall to sit back.
    Whelan and Andrews were overun in the centre of midfield,France had very little width and they often had 3 or 4 players central.

Ireland were defending on the the edge of their penalty box for large periods of the second half with no outlet .
    Keane and Doyle are too slow and cant run at defenders and the central midfield wont get forward.
    Were Ireland supposed to be playing counter attacking football tonight ?
    They posed absolutely no threat on the break from what I saw .

Its disappointing to lose to a deflected goal especially such a weak effort from Anelka but France deserved their win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Is the post-match webcast available online?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just heading home from the game. Thought Ireland played very well but france could have turned it up a notch if they wanted.

Still confident for next week and will get behind the team regardless.

Out of interest does any one know what happened to the ref at thwarted end? Missed the start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

To be fair Keane doesn't have the height to challenge their defenders or the physique to hold onto it for long with his back to goal.

I would sell my soul to get Andy Reid in that team for Wednesday instead of one of Whelan/Andrews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Honestly, to hell with all the negativity.

If you have a grasp of french (or can use google translate!) go to http://www.lequipe.fr , where they're feeling fortunate enough (the word 'incroyable' being used in reference to Lawrence's miss), and they know they're not out of the woods yet at all.

Trap has the luck of the devil - we are NOT out yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My player ratings:

Given - 7 Was reliable when called upon and can't be faulted for the goal.

Kilbane - 5 Had concerns about him prior to the game and he almost put the tie to bed by gifting the French a second. Hard worker but lacking the top quality needed.

St. Ledger - 7 Put in a solid shift and shouldn't be blamed for the deflection on the goal.

Dunne - 7 A shaky moment in the first half but overall put in another commanding display.

O'Shea - 7 Good performance at right-back and did his defensive job well, although could have done better at the other end with the chance on goal.

Duff - 7 Rolled back the years in the first half but seemed to fade in the second half and looked tired.

Whelan - 7 Considering his well documented limitations I thought he performed admirably well and put in a better performance than I was expecting.

Andrews - 6 Had some really great moments at times but was another who seemed to fade before the final whistle.

Lawrence - 7 Man of the Match for me from the Irish side. Worked hard and looked comfortable on the ball. Just a pity his final ball let him down at times.

Keane - 6 Not his best game but I feel he's coming in for unfair stick. Anelka wouldn't have scored feeding on what Keane had to contend with tonight.

Doyle - 6 Put in a solid shift as always but I felt he could have linked up with Keane better. Would have liked to see him in the box more.

Subs:

Best - 5 Had my doubts about throwing him into a big occasion like this and within minutes France had scored. He can't be directly blamed for that but I feel his inclusion didn't help the team.

Hunt and McGeady - 6 Didn't have the desired impact but it was difficult considering the little time they had.

Overall we will need one of the greatest performances in our history to progress. I think Trap has a bit of a selection dilemma because I think there is a compelling argument for playing Lawrence, Duff and McGeady and in all likelihood only 2 of these will start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

soma wrote: »
    Honestly, to hell with all the negativity.

If you have a grasp of french (or can use google translate!) go to http://www.lequipe.fr , where they're feeling fortunate enough (the word 'incroyable' being used in reference to Lawrence's miss), and they know they're not out of the woods yet at all.

Trap has the luck of the devil - we are NOT out yet.

Between the 45th minute until France scored we barely got a dozen touches. What did you see to suggest we can get something out of the game at Paris? Whelan and Andrews can't keep hold of the ball if their lives depended on it, and dropped way too deep without it... especially in the second half.

I was very impressed with their goalkeeper - he is very good at commanding his area and at crosses. I've seen him a few times now and he's looked excellent. Only 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Corcs001 wrote: »
    The world cups and Euro championships are also about supporting your team through the qualifying campaign and if they get to the finals. Does not matter how they play.

That is a very true point.

I'm not for one minute blaming personal except Robbie Keane who I have no time for.

We dont have a creative or gifted bunch, and we need to extract the best from a mediocre bunch.

I'm also a realist, in that we are a very small country, whos talents are nothing to write home about. We operate very much in "Eras". We will get a crop that will operate for 2-4 years who are a mile ahead of the rest, but unfortunately we have to deal with, and support, a group of players who just dont have the ability to compete at the top level.

Andrews and Whelan are a credit to themselves. They know well they dont have technical ability. They read papers, everyone does, they watch TV pundits etc, I cant imagine how hard it must be to go on the pitch every time for Ireland, knowing you have a country hoping for something you can never deliver.

Its like going into work, with everyone saying how you cant be faulted for effort, but you just cant do what we all want. They show tremendous heart and courage going out there, breaking their bad sides doing what they can.

Its what infuriates me more about Keane, he is touted as this fantastic striker and finisher, yet he just moans, whinges, and goes all the way into deep midfield to pick up a ball, and then does little with it.

I notice in most irish games, he is so busy going deep midfield and out wide to get involved that hes usually too tired to ever get into the box. Its a real case of " for **** sake I'll do it myself".

In essence theres something to be looked at and fingers to be pointed, and to me its a simple problem. Clearly there is absolutely no scouting system worth mentioning in this country at all. I am 21yrs old, and at schoolboy level up to the age of 17, played alongside and against the top players i the leinster and Dublin areas, and there was unbelieveable central midfielders playing week in week out. I myself was a holding midfielder responsible for distripution, and not being egotistical, but I severely regret not working more on getting fitter and I genuinely believe I'd have no reason not to be having a look in ( English club under 16's coach told me I was just too fat and should quit, so I did lols). But I played alongside and against players much better then me, and me now at 21, these guys still linger around Sunday leagues, tearing the place apart with their penetretive dynamic play.

I'd rather Whelan and Andrews in there then Reid and Ireland. I really would. We made a laughing stock of ourselves when we begged for Roy Keane to come back, and I truly find it laughable at the begging tactics in relation to getting Stephen Ireland to come back, he doesnt deserve a Green shirt.

Andy Reid for me, is doing now what he did the last time the nation was calling out for managers to pick him, making an effort. When there isn't out roars for him to play for the national side, he is more then happy to laze around the field, doing one nice pass a match for his club.

I'll take the honesty and hard work of Whelan and Andrews anyday of the week over them two. I just cant comprahend how we do not have one creative midfielder with a knowledge on how to play the role, alongside either Whelan/Andrews.

I'm not an expert on the league of ireland, alot of you are.

I'll be damned to hell if there isnt a decent irish midfielder in that league with a football brain on him.

I cannot see a French slip up here, if anything I see their front man coming to form, a fantastic player who was off form like most of the french team tonight.

I'd also expect Benzema to play at home, and I dont see us coming clsoe to scoring, and can see the French rallying in Paris, and to be honest, I put money on a 3-0 victory for them during the week.

Out of interest I also had France to win 1-0 in Croker, although I had Henry to score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Is the post-match webcast available online?

One would assume a webcast is available online, as opposed to a broadcast available on tv. RTE ftw my friend, but I think it's a one time view thing ie there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

how the heck did kevin doyle get motm?
    he was absolutely useless, putting in a shift doesn't excuse getting constantly knocked off the ball and offering absolutely no threat in front of goal whatsoever.

how the heck did kevin doyle get motm?
    he was absolutely useless, putting in a shift doesn't excuse getting constantly knocked off the ball and offering absolutely no threat in front of goal whatsoever.

Yeah it was mighty confusing, its such a **** motm thing they do like, offering to the irish players, even when they don't deserve it.

That attacking french midfielder was the only one providing a bit of injection and pace into the French forward movement, although his shots on goal were weak.

Anelka looked liked he wasn't arsed, farting about with the ball, and Henry on the left just looks so nulling, I know thats his "thing" but he really hugged that touchline all night and I guess we were kinda blessed he did.

Evra wasnt as flamboyant as he is with United either, I wonder was it management instructions....from Henry lols.

Those two should have been an absolutely devastating combo, we got off lightly big time tonight the more I think about it in my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Just home, am gutted to **** but hey, we might be down, but we are NOT out.
    A similar performance on wensday, and a slice of lady luck, and we can score.. They created no clearcut chances and for all their graceful passing, rarely put our defenders under extreme pressure.
    Same team please Trappa and a bit of belief among the squad.
    The handbags at the end will hopefully give our lads an extra bit of bite to go out and do the unthinkable.

Oh and by the way, Anelka MOTM all the way, really seemed to mean alot to him and he put in a rooney-esque performance coming deep and trying to make things happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

That is a very true point.

I'm not for one minute blaming personal except Robbie Keane who I have no time for.

We dont have a creative or gifted bunch, and we need to extract the best from a mediocre bunch.

I'm also a realist, in that we are a very small country, whos talents are nothing to write home about. We operate very much in "Eras". We will get a crop that will operate for 2-4 years who are a mile ahead of the rest, but unfortunately we have to deal with, and support, a group of players who just dont have the ability to compete at the top level.

Andrews and Whelan are a credit to themselves. They know well they dont have technical ability. They read papers, everyone does, they watch TV pundits etc, I cant imagine how hard it must be to go on the pitch every time for Ireland, knowing you have a country hoping for something you can never deliver.

Its like going into work, with everyone saying how you cant be faulted for effort, but you just cant do what we all want. They show tremendous heart and courage going out there, breaking their bad sides doing what they can.

Its what infuriates me more about Keane, he is touted as this fantastic striker and finisher, yet he just moans, whinges, and goes all the way into deep midfield to pick up a ball, and then does little with it.

I notice in most irish games, he is so busy going deep midfield and out wide to get involved that hes usually too tired to ever get into the box. Its a real case of " for **** sake I'll do it myself".

In essence theres something to be looked at and fingers to be pointed, and to me its a simple problem. Clearly there is absolutely no scouting system worth mentioning in this country at all. I am 21yrs old, and at schoolboy level up to the age of 17, played alongside and against the top players i the leinster and Dublin areas, and there was unbelieveable central midfielders playing week in week out. I myself was a holding midfielder responsible for distripution, and not being egotistical, but I severely regret not working more on getting fitter and I genuinely believe I'd have no reason not to be having a look in ( English club under 16's coach told me I was just too fat and should quit, so I did lols). But I played alongside and against players much better then me, and me now at 21, these guys still linger around Sunday leagues, tearing the place apart with their penetretive dynamic play.

I'd rather Whelan and Andrews in there then Reid and Ireland. I really would. We made a laughing stock of ourselves when we begged for Roy Keane to come back, and I truly find it laughable at the begging tactics in relation to getting Stephen Ireland to come back, he doesnt deserve a Green shirt.

Andy Reid for me, is doing now what he did the last time the nation was calling out for managers to pick him, making an effort. When there isn't out roars for him to play for the national side, he is more then happy to laze around the field, doing one nice pass a match for his club.

I'll take the honesty and hard work of Whelan and Andrews anyday of the week over them two. I just cant comprahend how we do not have one creative midfielder with a knowledge on how to play the role, alongside either Whelan/Andrews.

I'm not an expert on the league of ireland, alot of you are.

I'll be damned to hell if there isnt a decent irish midfielder in that league with a football brain on him.

I cannot see a French slip up here, if anything I see their front man coming to form, a fantastic player who was off form like most of the french team tonight.

I'd also expect Benzema to play at home, and I dont see us coming clsoe to scoring, and can see the French rallying in Paris, and to be honest, I put money on a 3-0 victory for them during the week.

Out of interest I also had France to win 1-0 in Croker, although I had Henry to score.

You make some fair enough points but for some reason have a ridiculous hate for Robbie Keane????

If history is anything to go by, the likes of Anelka and Henry, thrive of people getting "stuck" into them, and they just absolutely dance rings around players for the payback and the fun.

Diarra felt Andrews was having a bit extra all night long, it was however Diarra just having a bit of a moan about the bashing tackles he was having to put up with. It was poor form from him, but in fairness Andrews and Dunne getting annoyed is just not any use at all, if that happens you just shrug your shoulders and walk away, you dont impose respect and a handshake from someone,

Diaraa was being egotistical, ironic coming from a holding midfielder like himself to not appreciate good tackling and hard midfield work ethic, but Andrews and Dunne shouldn't have reacted, you just walk away, and try earn there respect next game out.

And my god Bill was looking for the contraversy of it wasnt he, youd swear it was Zidane chest-nut all over again

You make some fair enough points but for some reason have a ridiculous hate for Robbie Keane????

Mate he put in a great shift and it meant so much to him, but id say hes up there with the most annoying players to referee.

Every ****ing time the ball went near him and he didnt come out with it he would whine.. hes a bit of fcukin knob on the pitch tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Diarra felt Andrews was having a bit extra all night long, it was however Diarra just having a bit of a moan about the bashing tackles he was having to put up with. It was poor form from him, but in fairness Andrews and Dunne getting annoyed is just not any use at all, if that happens you just shrug your shoulders and walk away, you dont impose respect and a handshake from someone,

Diaraa was being egotistical, ironic coming from a holding midfielder like himself to not appreciate good tackling and hard midfield work ethic, but Andrews and Dunne shouldn't have reacted, you just walk away, and try earn there respect next game out.
    It was a bit rich coming from Diarra allright seeing as he spends most of his time for Real Madrid kicking opposing players.
    He is a good player though ,was arguably Real's best player in 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Hopefully Gio will be on the blower first thing in the morning to Andy Reid and telling him to get his arse to Paris ASAP. Without a bit of magic or creativity which Reid has bundles of, we ain't going to no World Cup anytime soon.:mad:

My hate from Robbie Keane isnt really hatred, I guess I just dont like being the norm run of the mill football viewer.

I dont instantly hail Robbie Keane because he scores our goals. I'ma Leeds fan so have an underlying kinda annoyance that he came to Leeds for big money and was just a lazy ****er who moaned his way around and cost us a big loss.

I watch him every Ireland game and Totenham game ( when I can) and notice for Totenham he plays mostly central, occasionally drifting wide.

For Ireland, he runs himself so ragged to do everything BUT HIS JOB that he is too tired to run into the box, or out run anyone. Spurs he has good players around him no doubt, but he stays central, and he gets his goals.

For Ireland he drops into midfield, picks the ball up, turns towards the enemies box and then what...theres no one up there, thats what he should be doing.

His attitude on camera doesn't look great and he just looks like he annoys alot of players, and this is personal, but a family member had a number of ireland caps and echoed my observations saying he is very divaish and has a clear opinion on how he doesnt like how Ireland cant play like Spurs ( during his first stint there this comment was made)

I've no time for people like that. Although my dislike is personal and built on strong foundations, I still think I make accurate enough obersvations on his Ireland play

• Advertisement

Hopefully Gio will be on the blower first thing in the morning to Andy Reid and telling him to get his arse to Paris ASAP. Without a bit of magic or creativity which Reid has bundles of, we ain't going to no World Cup anytime soon.:mad:

Reid would have been invisible tonight in that midfield.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement