Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. France WC Playoff Sat/Wed 14/18 November **K/Os 8 PM/9 PM**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Would I be correct in saying that we have not beaten a decent team in an away competitive game since Scotland in 1987!!!??? 22 years ago! I see no reason to believe that that sad fact will change on wednesday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I had France backed at 1 nil and an accumulator to go nil nil away which is what I think will happen.

Best was a joke when he came on- as a fresh man you'd expect him to get stuck in and he just strolled around the pitch, walking, not bothering putting in tackles and not even trying. Useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

04072511 wrote: »
    Would I be correct in saying that we have not beaten a decent team in an away competitive game since Scotland in 1987!!!??? 22 years ago! I see no reason to believe that that sad fact will change on wednesday!

That would be correct ,its a startling fact.
    We have drawn away from home against alot of top teams in that time, Spain,Italy,France,England,Denmark,Holland;however winning has been elusive.
    Our qualification successes were primarily founded on winning home matches.
    Irelands record in playoff matches is rubbish,one win in 9 matches and that was against Iran.
    It will be 1 in 10 come Wednesday night barring a miracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hopefully Gio will be on the blower first thing in the morning to Andy Reid and telling him to get his arse to Paris ASAP. Without a bit of magic or creativity which Reid has bundles of, we ain't going to no World Cup anytime soon.:mad:

I'd significantly question would we be going if we had Andy Reid?

I think when you look more around the pitch more problems appear.

Evra and Henry is , on paper, a devastating wing combo down the left, that should give John o shea alot of problems. They didnt tonight, but I'd fear Evra be given more license to roam in Paris.

St Ledger btw for me was out standing tonight. He won most of his aerial challenges, read the game superbly and made two important interceptions. For someone fresh into the squad he scored a vital goal against Italy and put in a solid performance tonight, well impressed with him.

Midfield is problems we overed, however the right wing is a concern. I dont think we have any penetrative power or ability to outdo Evra, imo the best left back in the Premiership ( not privied on world football so cant say). His defence ability, reading of the game, aerial ability ( for a small dude) and attacking prowess make him an oldskool Ashely Cole, except more productive.

Sanga on the opposite side is just as good. A pacey defensive player with as good offensive skills. Damien Duff got him skint once tonight, got about 3-4 feet in front, yet Sanga still caught him.

Our wingers although our most creative entities, are nothing to write home about, with alot of wasted potential and possesion.

Lawrence did well tonight and long may his performances improve. Hunt is a bit of a terrior for me, with good crossing ability, but can blow very cold.

McGeady is someone I don't rate highly. Duff for me hasnt been the same guy who played a good half a season for Chelsea.

The centre backs for France are always labelled "liable" and yes, Gallas and Abidal are known to have howler days, but they are mostly consistant, yet have this name for blunders. I dont see much of Abidal, but Gallas is operating at a different level to his last couple of seasons and is pretty solid back there.

Cant for the life of me see where a goal comes from. I'd imagine

A)Penatly
    B)France not being arsed
    C)French short backpass leads Keane to score

I'm still sticking with my 3-0 France win prediction.

Cognic ( spelling?!) to open proceedings followed by his second with Benzema coming on to replace and wrap it up.

Tonight I went 1-0 and got that bet correct, although seperatly had Henry to score first.

Actually funny when I placed that bet some man in the bookmakers made a very sly comment and got rather offensive saying I was the best part of a traitor betting against my team.

Is there anyone here who would have taken my 50 euro bet and put it on Ireland to win?

I through a tenner on Ireland to win 1-0, which had a 11-1 odds, just incase. But really, I'm a irish man, with a passion for my country, but I'm also a bit of a football gambler along with poker, and I dont see me making sensible bets being treterous lols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I had France backed at 1 nil and an accumulator to go nil nil away which is what I think will happen.

Best was a joke when he came on- as a fresh man you'd expect him to get stuck in and he just strolled around the pitch, walking, not bothering putting in tackles and not even trying. Useless.

Well I hardly expected him to bang in 2 goals.

He would have done well to even get the ball under control first touch. He had what, 1-2 touches in the 10-15 minutes he was on?

He was brought on whilst France were having a picnic in the centre circle in Croke park, he wasnt going to be able to do much.

Also I'm sure that on RTE the sideline reporter said " Best has been told to help out in midfield".

I'm pretty sure the comment was

" Make sure you stay out of midfield, we need some sort of striker up there!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd significantly question would we be going if we had Andy Reid?

I think when you look more around the pitch more problems appear.

Evra and Henry is , on paper, a devastating wing combo down the left, that should give John o shea alot of problems. They didnt tonight, but I'd fear Evra be given more license to roam in Paris.

St Ledger btw for me was out standing tonight. He won most of his aerial challenges, read the game superbly and made two important interceptions. For someone fresh into the squad he scored a vital goal against Italy and put in a solid performance tonight, well impressed with him.

Midfield is problems we overed, however the right wing is a concern. I dont think we have any penetrative power or ability to outdo Evra, imo the best left back in the Premiership ( not privied on world football so cant say). His defence ability, reading of the game, aerial ability ( for a small dude) and attacking prowess make him an oldskool Ashely Cole, except more productive.

Sanga on the opposite side is just as good. A pacey defensive player with as good offensive skills. Damien Duff got him skint once tonight, got about 3-4 feet in front, yet Sanga still caught him.

Our wingers although our most creative entities, are nothing to write home about, with alot of wasted potential and possesion.

Lawrence did well tonight and long may his performances improve. Hunt is a bit of a terrior for me, with good crossing ability, but can blow very cold.

McGeady is someone I don't rate highly. Duff for me hasnt been the same guy who played a good half a season for Chelsea.

The centre backs for France are always labelled "liable" and yes, Gallas and Abidal are known to have howler days, but they are mostly consistant, yet have this name for blunders. I dont see much of Abidal, but Gallas is operating at a different level to his last couple of seasons and is pretty solid back there.

Cant for the life of me see where a goal comes from. I'd imagine

A)Penatly
    B)France not being arsed
    C)French short backpass leads Keane to score

I'm still sticking with my 3-0 France win prediction.

Cognic ( spelling?!) to open proceedings followed by his second with Benzema coming on to replace and wrap it up.

Tonight I went 1-0 and got that bet correct, although seperatly had Henry to score first.

Actually funny when I placed that bet some man in the bookmakers made a very sly comment and got rather offensive saying I was the best part of a traitor betting against my team.

Is there anyone here who would have taken my 50 euro bet and put it on Ireland to win?

I through a tenner on Ireland to win 1-0, which had a 11-1 odds, just incase. But really, I'm a irish man, with a passion for my country, but I'm also a bit of a football gambler along with poker, and I dont see me making sensible bets being treterous lols.

Gignac.

Treacherous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

flahavaj wrote: »
    Gignac.

Treacherous.

Tnx Teach` , i enjoyed reading TheDoc`s post and now i too know how to spell Gignac and Treacherous , very helpful :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Beaten by a better team but no faults for efforts. Really no confidence in getting a win over in Paris but strange results happen all the time. As for the Reid and Ireland thing....forget it, not going to happen. No point in dwelling on a player who the manager won't call up and another who simply does not want to play (trying not to mention it seems to be a Cork trait). Just hoping they go for it in Paris and somehow nick a goal. Had chances tonight so here's hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Amazing actually when you think about it. Since that Scotland win in 87:

Italia 90:

Spain - Lost
    Hungary - Drew

Euro 92

England - Drew
    Poland - Drew

USA 94

Spain - Drew
    Denmark - Drew

Euro 96

Portugal - Lost
    Austria - Lost

France 98

Romania - Lost
    Belgium - Lost

Euro 2000

Yugoslavia - Lost
    Croatia - Lost
    Turkey - Drew

Korea/Japan 2002

Portugal - Drew
    Netherlands - Drew
    Iran - Lost

Euro 2004

Russia - Lost
    Switzerland - Lost

Germany 2006

France - Drew
    Switzerland - Drew
    Israel - Drew

Euro 2008

Germany - Lost
    Czech Republic - Lost
    Slovakia - Drew

South Africa 2010

Italy - Drew
    Bulgaria - Drew

Obviously the definition of a "decent team" is a bit objective and maybe Northern Ireland in 1996 Qualifiers could fall into this category to be fair, but it is generally accepted that Scotland in 87 was the last big away win. So all in all, to sum up, we are fairly screwed for wednesday night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Collie D wrote: »
    Beaten by a better team but no faults for efforts. Really no confidence in getting a win over in Paris but strange results happen all the time. As for the Reid and Ireland thing....forget it, not going to happen. No point in dwelling on a player who the manager won't call up and another who simply does not want to play (trying not to mention it seems to be a Cork trait). Just hoping they go for it in Paris and somehow nick a goal. Had chances tonight so here's hoping.

LoL :D:D where you located ??? ;) poor Michael Collins eh ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

Just back from the match now,missed the last bus home so had to get the luas and walk for half an hour!

I'm dissapointed with the result but we tried our best and in the end were beaten by a superior team,its a sickener that Anelka got their goal though,cant stand the chap!

Anybody know what the mini brawl after the final whistle was about?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can't belive we lost to such a jammy goal :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

04072511 wrote: »
    Amazing actually when you think about it. Since that Scotland win in 87:

Italia 90:

Spain - Lost
    Hungary - Drew

Euro 92

England - Drew
    Poland - Drew

USA 94

Spain - Drew
    Denmark - Drew

Euro 96

Portugal - Lost
    Austria - Lost

France 98

Romania - Lost
    Belgium - Lost

Euro 2000

Yugoslavia - Lost
    Croatia - Lost
    Turkey - Drew

Korea/Japan 2002

Portugal - Drew
    Netherlands - Drew
    Iran - Lost

Euro 2004

Russia - Lost
    Switzerland - Lost

Germany 2006

France - Drew
    Switzerland - Drew
    Israel - Drew

Euro 2008

Germany - Lost
    Czech Republic - Lost
    Slovakia - Drew

South Africa 2010

Italy - Drew
    Bulgaria - Drew

Obviously the definition of a "decent team" is a bit objective and maybe Northern Ireland in 1996 Qualifiers could fall into this category to be fair, but it is generally accepted that Scotland in 87 was the last big away win. So all in all, to sum up, we are fairly screwed for wednesday night!

It's a shocking run of results and considering how far it stretches back I would have to conclude it's a flaw in our mentaility.

I seem to recall Roy Keane raging about the WC qualifier away to Holland where we were 2-0 up I think at one stage and we let it slip back to 2-2. Then at the end we celebrated earning the point, whereas he was disgusted that we had lost two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Can't belive we lost to such a jammy goal :(

jammy le bleus, cost me about 1,700e on an accu also

cnts the lot of em!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Trap's crap substitution cost us a draw imo. Best just passes the ball back to France and they score while Doyle had been brilliant at holding the ball up imo. It was Lawrence who had to be taken off. Duff was brilliant but on the way home I heard a group of people saying he was rubbish, I thought he was our best player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Ireland 6/1 to win in 90 mins on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

OPENROAD wrote: »

To win the match or to qualify in ninety minutes? If the latter we will need at least two goals and your bookie is a thief offering that at 6/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Collie D wrote: »
    To win the match or to qualify in ninety minutes? If the latter we will need at least two goals and your bookie is a thief offering that at 6/1.

No just to win the actual match, not qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

WE got the result we were asking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

OPENROAD wrote: »

that would be a miracle of epic proportions tbh

and would expect better odds tbh

Everton are 9/1 to beat United....! not much of a difference...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I gotta say I'm not confident at all, for the return leg.

I think with the players we've got I just can't see us scoring, without reply, against France in their 'own backyard'. Our midfield create nothing of note, our strikers are completely isolated, and you can't score goals like that....barring some set-piece miracle.

But anyway, I hope we can do something special come wednesday.

I hope our lads watch some vids of Alan in Belfast, and Jason in Dublin, to fire them up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

TheDoc wrote: »
    His attitude on camera doesn't look great and he just looks like he annoys alot of players, and this is personal, but a family member had a number of ireland caps and echoed my observations saying he is very divaish and has a clear opinion on how he doesnt like how Ireland cant play like Spurs ( during his first stint there this comment was made)

Thats all well and good, but if a half chance falls our way on Wednesday, we will all be praying it falls to Robbie. He may be an asshole, buts hes our asshole. Robbie would run through a brick wall for Ireland. Hes our top goal scorer of all time. A bit of respect, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

In their own backyard? Was at the game a few years ago in Stade de France, and from my POV there was as much Irish as French, was like a home game. Home advantage is not an issue in the return leg imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

France will be cautious as they know they had the possession and the chance to put it to bed when the open goal (ish) was missed. Its possible they will play for 0-0 on Wed and if they do we might have a squeak. As the RTE panel said last night 0-0 at half time could open the game up.

To get through we will have to do something we havent done in a very long time (beat a top nation away). Its a big ask and they will have to up the performance and get a bit of luck but not beyond the bounds of possiblity.

If France score first then that will the that of course. That said even with all their possession Shay did not have too busy a night and the goal was deflected....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

currythis wrote: »
    Just back from the match now,missed the last bus home so had to get the luas and walk for half an hour!

I'm dissapointed with the result but we tried our best and in the end were beaten by a superior team,its a sickener that Anelka got their goal though,cant stand the chap!

Anybody know what the mini brawl after the final whistle was about?

The lads on RTE showed a replay of it (would never ever happen on the BBC!!). Nothing really just handbags and Dunne squaring up. Hard to say what caused it but it appeared that Diarra refused to shake hands it Whelan or Dunne and made a comment which kicked it all off. No sympathy whatsoever for Diarra. Henry and Dunne had chat just afterwards and it seemed fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Will Trap change tactics now?

I don't see how he can really based on the players in the squad. The back up players are basically shitter versions of what is in the first XI.

Trap is also too stubborn to go gung ho. I predict us playing not to concede for 60 minutes before some like-for-like changes similar to tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I don't see how he can really based on the players in the squad. The back up players are basically shitter versions of what is in the first XI.

Trap is also too stubborn to go gung ho. I predict us playing not to concede for 60 minutes before some like-for-like changes similar to tonight.

Exactly. But, what else would one do. Losing by one to France is no disgrace, and we still have a small chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Wednesdays game will pan out exactly like last nights game. We will press hard in the first half and second half they France be on top. We will not hold onto the ball and hope for a chance on the break or from a set piece.

This is a simple analysis because its what has happened in every game Trap has had so far so I don't see how it will change...hence I don't see us beating them.

We need alot of luck to get through now.
    I think not qualifying could cause major problems for FAI. They are struggling to sell the vantage club tickets...and if we don't qualify then they will struggle more to get fans in to watch Trap's brand of football.

But I'll be cheering them on with all my heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes its a totally different ball game now. Whelan and Andrews who clean up in midfield will have to press forward now and that is a game they are not used to.
    French as we saw last night like to pass the ball around which means we will be chasing them all night.
    That said 1-0 is not the worst result of all time. Could have been worse but for that awful miss by the french number eleven in the second half when he totally miscued in front of goal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

I think we if we score a goal in the first half and don't concede on Wednesday then anything is possible. This tie is'nt over by a long shot. The Irish team alway's seem to play better when the pressures off and no one expects us to qualify now. For all of Frances quality they still needed a lucky goal last night to beat us. Roll on Wednesday.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Has the Andy Reid/Steven Reid can of worms been open yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Fcuk you platini, I really hope we sicking that fcuker and qualify, believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

IMO, we played quite well last night, and we're unlucky to concede. We had two decent chances to score but didnt take them.

As such, if we can replicate that performance in Paris, we've got a decent chance of going through. They only scored from a deflection and we by in large contained them for a large part of the match. It aint over yet, but I'm still very upset :/ The only change I think that could be made would be putting Gibson in instead of Andrews/Whelen. It'd be a little bit more attacking, and Gibson can pop up with a 40 yard screamer every once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

I feel Trapp and the team did at least as well as could be expected in our group. I feel we were let down by the FAI , and other small nation FAs, by allowing FIFA to make up the rules as they go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

Liked the clappers last night. Two guys near me didn'y seem to though. They made little noise applauding with their gloved hands.:D... well it was 11 degrees poor mites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Maybe so but we won just two games in that group. We may have a limited bunch of players available to us but when a good player is available to us and we dont pick him over something relatively minor we are shooting ourselves in the foot. Yes we played well enough last night but we are not putting our best foot forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ziggy wrote: »

Anelka dropping deep I thought would cause us problems last night and it ultimately did.

But he gave the ball away far too many times to be considered MOM.

Keane for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Said yesterday that I wouldn't mind losing as long as we didn't gift it to France.

In fairness, they produced an excellent performance and pretty much put to bed all the hopes we had that they'd come out and play poorly.

Kerr had it right the other day in the Irish Times - he said they were the outstanding team in that group and had been on fire in their last few games.

Dunphy must be the worst soccer pundit in the history of the world. He's a joke and the one upside to Ireland not qualifying for anything is hearing less of his nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

We will now go to Paris, give it a lash and draw and ultimately go out with a moral victory. Then we will start wondering why we didnt give it a proper go in our HOME leg. In their last seven away games before last night France have won two and they were against relative minnows. They were there or the taking but Mr. Trap with his "dont lose, never win" tactics knows better of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

gosplan wrote: »
    Dunphy must be the worst soccer pundit in the history of the world. He's a joke and the one upside to Ireland not qualifying for anything is hearing less of his nonsense.

In fairness he was spot on about the team being in a tactical straightjacket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I was pleased with how we performed last night, first half particularly. We had a real bite to our performance in that first half and the French were clearly rattled. Second half the French really stepped it up and the midfield got on top with the Irish tiring. 0-0 would have been a fair result, I don't think we deserved to lose.
    It's worth mentioning the hapless Kilbane once again tried his best to put the tie beyond us, with him in the side the French can always have confidence.
    I amn't too despondent going to Paris, the French didn't look anything special and we are more than capable of nicking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Qprmeath wrote: »
    We will now go to Paris, give it a lash and draw and ultimately go out with a moral victory. Then we will start wondering why we didnt give it a proper go in our HOME leg. In their last seven away games before last night France have won two and they were against relative minnows. They were there or the taking but Mr. Trap with his "dont lose, never win" tactics knows better of course.

France were there for the taking. :D

Hee hee.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Dunphy is a pathetic pundit. I used to love his rants but he spouts the same old **** after every Ireland game regardless of performance.

I'm also at loss to know how he said Gallas was the weak point of the French defence and that "Keane and Doyle" can get at him. Yeah just like they did in the PL this season..:rolleyes:. Then he goes onto to show mistakes from Gallas from 2-3 years ago..why?

Maybe he would have been better trying to look at Keanes piss poor form and stop living in dream land. Then he says afterwards France were no good and we gave it to them. What planet is he on ?

Ireland were no better than France and to claim they are in disarray and an there for the taking, was just misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

ziggy wrote: »

Where did I claim otherwise? Yes France are a more technically gifted team then us and yes they have more matchwinners but it's not beyond Ireland to nick this tie. We could reasonably have had two last night, the Lawrence chance in particular. Defensively, Kilbane apart, I thought we were very good last night so it wasn't like France overran us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

The second half performance was abysmal as the players tired. France didn't up their game at all, they weren't more pacy or intensive on the ball in the second half, Whelan and Andrews just couldn't keep up that intensity and they don't have the nouse on the ball to take the pressure off. Keith Andrews in particular, had great opportunities to spread the play or gain territory if he lifted his head, but kept playing it square/backwards instead and the space was gone. I despise the tactic of dropping so deep without the ball, FFS pressurise them! :mad:

God, if you are out there, please show Trap the error of his ways and call up Andy Reid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

DB10 wrote: »
    Dunphy is a pathetic pundit. I used to love his rants but he spouts the same old **** after every Ireland game regardless of performance.

I'm also at loss to know how he said Gallas was the weak point of the French defence and that "Keane and Doyle" can get at him. Yeah just like they did in the PL this season..:rolleyes:. Then he goes onto to show mistakes from Gallas from 2-3 years ago..why?

Maybe he would have been better trying to look at Keanes piss poor form and stop living in dream land. Then he says afterwards France were no good and we gave it to them. What planet is he on ?

Ireland were no better than France and to claim they are in disarray and an there for the taking, was just misleading.

Er.....Keane has been far from amazing this season but he's still near the top of the goalscoring charts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Absolutely sickened about last night but we gave it a good lash in fairness. For once, that bit of luck just didn't fall our way. Atmosphere was electric and it was clear after the game from the players body language they were really disappointed themselves as our plan was to try get at least a 0-0.
    Think France are a lot better then some people were giving them credit for beforehand and in truth, they are a class side. Also, I think it's fair to say we're not as good as some might think.

As for the 2nd leg....well it's really a mountain to climb. I've no doubt we'll get a chance or two over there like we did last night but whether we'll take them and whether France will score are other issues. Our only hope is that France feel the tie is won and we get a good bit of luck. Another World Cup-less summer beckons....:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I scratch my head when I watch Ireland. Why play with two forwards when your trying to stifle the other team. The midfield ends up knackered and so do the forwards trying to track back and then spring forward.

Why not drop a forward and play a more creative player in the middle. Also affords a chance to play a more attcking player on the wing.

Anyway, i just needed to say that.

Exactly. I've said it numerous times before, but we should play Andy Reid behind the striker (ie. in Robbie Keane's position). For all the criticism, R Domenech actually got the tactics right by allowing Anelka and Henry to drop deep. Anelka, in particular, had so much time and space, he looked a class apart from anyone else on the pitch and we didn't have a clue how to defend against him. If we had Andy Reid in an attacking midfield/support striker role, at least he could drop deep (like Anelka) and string a few passes together. I'm sorry to bring up the Reid situation again, but I really think it's outrageous that he's not even in the squad. If I was in charge, I'd drop Keane and put A Reid in his place, with Kevin Doyle up front.

Also, wtf was Kilbane thinking with that passback? He really is a liabilty at this stage, and that's not a barstooler comment btw as I think Kilbane has been a great servant to Ireland over the years. However, we really should have introduced Nolan/Delaney to the left-back position more during this campaign. I suppose it would be a bit unfair to throw them in the deep end for the match in Paris seeing as either are relatively inexperienced at international level?

allybhoy wrote: »
    Dunphy:-

" He might call up Andy Reid.........he wont..!"

WTF?

LOL, classic Dunphy :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement