Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. France WC Playoff Sat/Wed 14/18 November **K/Os 8 PM/9 PM**

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Er.....Keane has been far from amazing this season but he's still near the top of the goalscoring charts.
    :confused:
    He played well in one match against Burnley were he scored 4. He is widely said to be Spurs worst player this season and most of them want him dropped.

You would think by the way Dunphy was going on, that Keane was a world class player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

^^^^
    Would agree with the above about Keane's goal-scoring record this season being a bit skewed by the four goal haul against Burnley.

If you ignore the Burnley game he has scored 4 in 13 for Spurs so far this season, which is still pretty reasonable going but he definately isnt in the form that a stat of 8 in 14 would suggest on first-reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

DB10 wrote: »
    :confused:
    He played well in one match against Burnley were he scored 4. He is widely said to be Spurs worst player this season and most of them want him dropped.

You would think by the way Dunphy was going on, that Keane was a world class player.

"Worst player" is very very harsh, and anyway like I said, despite not being in great form he still has 6 league goals! And Spurs have been playing him on the left in some games in fairness.

^^^^
    Would agree with the above about Keane's goal-scoring record this season being a bit skewed by the four goal haul against Burnley.

If you ignore the Burnley game he has scored 4 in 13 for Spurs so far this season, which is still pretty reasonable going but he definately isnt in the form that a stat of 8 in 14 would suggest on first-reading.

I daresay Defoe's doesn't look smashing either if you discount the hat-trick against Hull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

bit of perspective is required.

France are one of the top 10 teams in the world. they have a population of ~60m people.
    Football is their first sport.

we have 4m people and are punching way abover our weight by even making the play-offs

in 90 mins we had more clear cut chance than france and we were beaten by a lucky deflection.

I thought we really played well last night and should have won that game. Unfortunatly i cant see us scoring 2 in Paris but we showed last night that we can get at them. Both our wide men had the beating of their full backs.

I daresay Defoe's doesn't look smashing either if you discount the hat-trick against Hull.

3 goals in 6 games for Defoe if you ignore the Hull game.

Sorry but I think that does look pretty close to smashing form. :D

From what I've seen of Keane so far this season, Burnley game aside, he has done ok but he hasn't been in great/smashing/wonderful form.

Don't think I would call him Spurs's worst player but his form in general play hasnt been as good in previous seasons for them whereas a lot of other Spurs players seemed to be having better seasons compared to previously.

Stand by my previous criticisms of the team that Trap had set up a team/system designed not to lose games as opposed to win them. While I can understand the logic behind it in terms of the qualification process, I think it falls down in terms of playoff type situations and in terms of potentially tournament play.

While Ireland battled bravely in the first half, we didn't play all that much football. France didn't play all that well and were fortunate with the goal but I can't put my hand on my heart and say they didnt deserve the win as they were on top for a large part of the second half. At 1-0 down we have a chance in Paris but I couldn't say I'm optimistic. Hopeful but not optimisitc.

Similar to Italy I really cant see them doing a whole lot at the World Cup next year (assuming they get throught) unless they ditch Dommench. They look like a team which is less the sum of their parts as opposed to a side which is better than the sum of their parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Some Pics

4104618754_c099d2c9f9.jpg

4104600286_52b74cf10a.jpg

4104599182_1550bdff79.jpg

Full set here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

It's disappointing that of the other qualifiers yesterday-

Ukraine got a 0-0 in Greece so great chance for them at home
    Bosnia only went down by a goal in Portugal so they can turn that around at home
    Slovenia grabbed themselves a late, precious away goal in Russia to make it 2-1 so they can cause a shock and win that tie.

The only other tie that's more or less predictable and wrapped up is ours :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

On a side note, anyone else love the new France shirt?

Think it looks class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Xavi6 wrote: »

Think it looks class.

I think it's bizarre. WTF is on the back of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Fair play to Ireland. They performed admirably but were outclassed in the second half. Had we a bit more luck we could have got a goal and went to Paris with some chance of making it to South Africa but now we really haven't a hope in hell. One can always pray for a miracle but I always thought Ireland would have had to get a win or a 0-0 draw at Croker to have any chance of going through. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Think it looks class.

I can't share your enthusiasm on that. It looks very odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

JPA wrote: »
    I think it's bizarre. WTF is on the back of it?
    Futuristic technology to improve performance I guess. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Its a ****in lovely jersey, would defo be pickin one of them up if i had the cash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

only1stevo wrote: »
    Its a ****in lovely jersey, would defo be pickin one of them up if i had the cash!

isn't there a fashion forum youse could post on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The back of the French jersey looks like they're wearing some sort of a bra :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Come on lads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUYuIVbFg0

It's not over just yet.

3 goals in 6 games for Defoe if you ignore the Hull game.

Sorry but I think that does look pretty close to smashing form.
    :D

From what I've seen of Keane so far this season, Burnley game aside, he has done ok but he hasn't been in great/smashing/wonderful form.

Don't think I would call him Spurs's worst player but his form in general play hasnt been as good in previous seasons for them whereas a lot of other Spurs players seemed to be having better seasons compared to previously.

Stand by my previous criticisms of the team that Trap had set up a team/system designed not to lose games as opposed to win them. While I can understand the logic behind it in terms of the qualification process, I think it falls down in terms of playoff type situations and in terms of potentially tournament play.

While Ireland battled bravely in the first half, we didn't play all that much football. France didn't play all that well and were fortunate with the goal but I can't put my hand on my heart and say they didnt deserve the win as they were on top for a large part of the second half. At 1-0 down we have a chance in Paris but I couldn't say I'm optimistic. Hopeful but not optimisitc.

Similar to Italy I really cant see them doing a whole lot at the World Cup next year (assuming they get throught) unless they ditch Dommench. They look like a team which is less the sum of their parts as opposed to a side which is better than the sum of their parts.

Fair enough GRRRRRRR

:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Saw the banner for Eirebhoy - nice one.
    Anyone got a pic?
    Rte need new analysts . Giles an dunphy haven't a clue they haven't played football for 30 years . Bring some Recently retired footballers in I say

I'd agree with this, I like souness he speaks intelligently unlike the 2 great granddad.

Think it looks class.

Yep really looks cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Unfortunately during that game last night, I was getting the same sinking feeling I got during the Swiss game in 2005 and 2003 as well the Belgium/Turkey away games in 97/99 respectively:(. We can always watch the Paris game with hope because there is only one goal in it but I find it hard to see how the team will not be outclassed again. Can only hope that Trap unleashes his team and really lets them go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

TBH I'm really feeling nervous about Wednesday already. If we go out all guns blazing, France will score on the counter. I hope for an early goal for us (prob from a set piece) and then press forward as a team and try and keep France penned in their own half. But even if we do score, I can see a moment of Henry magic screwing us over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I was in row x of the upper davin last night. Stadium was rocking. But also from that height it gives you a great view of the formation of the Irish team. Im not a fan of Trappatoni's style but I could appreciate that the team is cearly well drilled. For most of the night we had two banks of four players ahead of France. Closing down was done in methodical way, i.e. Lawrence pushes forward to close down the full back, O'Shea steps up onto the winger. Not rocket science, not a thrilling style of football but the team kept it up for 90 minutes and but for a deflected goal it seemed to be effective at stopping the French. They had a lot of the ball but for the most part found it hard to manourvre in the final third of the field.

We will of course do exactly the same in Paris. We will be relying on set pieces and a bit of luck. Certainly not impossible but I think the picture from Irish training this morning sums up the feeling around the soccer community today:

0002c10110dr.jpg

Have we any injuries from last night?

Have we any injuries from last night?

Heard there are no injury worries ahead of Paris according to Trap on the radio earlier. Slight positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OK I really do not see why we are being so pessimistic today. Yes we were totally outplayed in the 2nd half but there is only one goal in it, they should have had 2 more in reality for the amount of possession they had in the 2nd half and the gifting by Kilbane of that backpass but the French didn't and that will be playing on their minds. One goal for us on Wednesday and the whole colour of the tie changes, self doubt will start to plague the French and it could be our day in Paris.

Yes our record away from home is dismal, yes they have better players but this is now a once off game and bad records have to come to an end sometime. The team feel robbed by a lucky goal and slighted by unsportsman like behaviour by Diarra and this will motivate them even further. Our job is now to get behind them and if you are lucky enough to be in Paris to shout until your voice is gone. We can bitch and moan afterwards for now lets get behind the team.

Now to get back to trash talking the French in-laws :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The main thing for me is that I dont see us capable of scoring two against France away from home. How many times do Ireland ever score twice away from home ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Any word on the TV rights yet?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

redout wrote: »
    The main thing for me is that I dont see us capable of scoring two against France away from home. How many times do Ireland ever score twice away from home ?

We don't have to score twice (if we don't concede :o) once would force penalties

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

We don't have to score twice (if we don't concede :o) once would force penalties

While thats correct I wouldnt want to be in such a dangerous position. Also the fact France are at home would have you thinking they are good for at least one themselves. France will be far more potent at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

While thats correct I wouldnt want to be in such a dangerous position. Also the fact France are at home would have you thinking they are good for at least one themselves. France will be far more potent at home.

Parisian crowd can be notoriously fickle, whether it's football or rugby. If things not going their way the home fans get on the team's back. Playing at home for them brings more pressure. Nil nil at half time over there and listen to the mood change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Lads get over yourself. Ireland needed to be in the lead going into Wednesday or at least at nil all. It's game over. Give up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Against Holland during the qualifiers for Japan/Korea back in '00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

SantryRed wrote: »
    Lads get over yourself. Ireland needed to be in the lead going into Wednesday or at least at nil all. It's game over. Give up.

Things are never straight forward like that. Is a 2-1 win really so inconceivable?
    Ireland get an early goal, France equalise, 1-1 at half time. Ireland nick a 2nd in the 87th minute. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

JPA wrote: »
    Things are never straight forward like that. Is a 2-1 win really so inconceivable?
    Ireland get an early goal, France equalise, 1-1 at half time. Ireland nick a 2nd in the 87th minute. :D

get your money on it.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Not really. I think its possible to win 1-0 in Paris and then win in extra-time/penos. Not likely, but possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

i hate this attitude. So what if the odds are against us. Its when the odds are against us that people need a little optimism. Fair enough if you think we arnt going to qualify but "It's game over. Give up", seriously, what kind of ****ty attitude is that? Ireland has always been the underdog, nothing has changed. So just get behind your team and show a little positivity.

urgh:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Football is a funny ole game as Greavsie used to say. It's only one goal in it. Keep it at one goal and anything can happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t96cj5LtmLo&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyIyHmG77mU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Somebody pissed off that Shels didn't get two legs? :-) Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Please dont ban me for this as this is not at the poster but at the above quoted post...

Id like to place a F**K you squarely at that post. And I hope I speak for any supporter with an ounce of passion left in them.

This is only half time lads and ANYTHING can happen. If we got an early goal we are firmly in the driving seat. Yes we are the underdogs but I absolutely detest that sort of mentality (in the the above post).

Was at the game Saturday and there was a great atmosphere. Must say though there were a few lads beside me who barely shouted our lads on and what pissed me off the most was lads leaving at about 5 minutes left to go. I was very close to saying something to them. Was bloody brilliant the fans that stayed after the 90 minutes and the Ireland chants started again.

Ive no voice left today after the match and there is no way in hell im thinking we are done. 45 minutes gone and we are 1-0 down. Its still there lads. Have a bit of belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

You are dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

if a last minute goal were to somehow happen I just have horrible of France replicating Italy a few weeks ago pulling one back in the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Horse Bollíx.

joe123 wrote: »

Was at the game Saturday and there was a great atmosphere. Must say though there were a few lads beside me who barely shouted our lads on and what pissed me off the most was lads leaving at about 5 minutes left to go. I was very close to saying something to them. Was bloody brilliant the fans that stayed after the 90 minutes and the Ireland chants started again.

I would rather have sat beside them then the idiots beside me who wouldnt stfu for the whole 90mins. Talking between themselves about the game. Who the hell pays €80 a ticket to go to a game and chat for 90mins ? Honest to god they couldnt go more than 20 seconds in silence. I dont get these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭McGrath5

France are not unbeattable home, hell if Scotland can go there and win then so can we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

FatherTed wrote: »
    Football is a funny ole game as Greavsie used to say. It's only one goal in it. Keep it at one goal and anything can happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t96cj5LtmLo&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyIyHmG77mU

I think we're going more for something like this:

or this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's not only optimistic to think we can make it through on wednesday, but given the potential frailty of the French collective psyche if things don't go to plan, i believe it's realistic to go over and believe we can do it.

last night was disappointing, but bring on the 2nd leg.

there is still a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

DB10 wrote: »

Eamonn is blinded ,It wasnt long ago that he was saying that Ireland had 4 or 5 players that would get into any team in Europe !
    He was crowing about John O Shea last night and Souness calmly said "Steady on there now".Priceless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I was at the match last night, dissapointing, but its only half time! We could have also easily won the match, Im not saying it would have been a fair result, but who cares about fair? Its for the French to lose now... The odds are certainly against us, but France are not like Russia or Italy at home. I know im repeating what has been said here before, by myself included, but this is the same team that over 8 matches finnished 2nd, lost to Austria 3-1, to Scotland at home, picked up 1 point in the group stages of the 2002 world cup! Look Im not saying were 50 / 50, but there is a chance! The positives are we have no suspensions and no injuries. Anyone think Trap will stick with the exact same team on Wednesday and hope we get a rub of the green or do you think he may shake things up and put O'Shea in centre mid? how about a battering ram up front! to hell with the football now, we need a result not a performance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

I would rather have sat beside them then the idiots beside me who wouldnt stfu for the whole 90mins. Talking between themselves about the game. Who the hell pays €80 a ticket to go to a game and chat for 90mins ? Honest to god they couldnt go more than 20 seconds in silence. I dont get these people.

same happened to us row hh cusack 309 ...pains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

joe123 wrote: »
    Id like to place a F**K you squarely at that post. And I hope I speak for any supporter with an ounce of passion left in them.

I admire your spirit, but realistically it was a mountain to climb to begin with and it didn't exactly get better. Would take a small miracle to come back from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

No it's not. Did'nt you know the second leg is on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement