Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. France WC Playoff Sat/Wed 14/18 November **K/Os 8 PM/9 PM**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I would love it to happen but somehow i dont think it's to going to .We just dont seem to get the lucky breaks you neeed in the big games .Even the manager thinks Ireland might score from frees and corner kicks but not confident about scoring in real play .I hope I am wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Havn't got a chance to get online since the match,

major pissed off with that result, especially since it was a bloody deflection! Going over to France with the tie still at 0-0 would have been great, i reckon we could have got a score draw.

I couldn't fault the players for the effort they put in, they ran their hearts out. Was pissed off again with RTE moaning about the midfield pairing, they done the job they were asked to do, I'm pretty sure Trap doesn't want them doing what the RTE lads were slating them for.

I've also read 2 papers today who both gave Doyle a rating of 6, undeserved, he came off because he was exhausted i thought, it really is an impossible task for the 2 front lads up there in that system.

Duff and Lawrence played well, would much rather Lawrence now than McGeady, just a pity he didn't aim for the other side of the goal that time.

I hate the way our play basically leaves us relying on set pieces to get anything out of games, we had our chances and didn't take them at Croker, i can't see us getting much in Paris although unlike some others i believe we can pull it off .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

After watching three out of four play-off matches last evening, the first conclusion I made was: Republic of Ireland are by far he weakest team that got a second chance to see SA next summer. Even the Slovenians are more comfortable with the ball and tactically more astute. Therefore, we don't need to feel upset or angry for getting seeded France and not Ukraine or Slovenia as our rivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The way I see it is we've gone from little short of Europes laughing stock to having a very respectable campaign, regardless of how it finishes on Wednesday.

I thought the performance in the first half particularly last night was probably as good as we've seen from them in this campaign and was probably as good as we could realistically have hoped for.

While, I believe that the task on Wednesday is difficult it's not impossible. My hope is that if they don't win the tie overall at least they give themselves a scrappin' chance. I just hope that they dont finish by taking a hiding.

I just hope that the players believe they still have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Soccer Tickets & Travel for anyone looking to sell tickets.

Read the rules very carefully before you post there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I agree slightly with SantryRed... ideally we would have been going to Paris with a lead or a scoreless draw.

We now need something of a minor miracle to qualify.

I was at the game and every time Nicolas Anelka got on the ball, I was trembling and saying 'Oh, no' under my breath. He is in the form of his life at the min, and I know his goal was more than a bit fortunate, but he is now the most dangerous striker on the French team, IMO.

Ireland will find it hard tooutscore the French at home, but there's always a chance...

Luck favours the bold, so it's just all out attack, route 1 football and nothing pretty. Go for it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

DazMarz wrote: »
    I was at the game and every time Nicolas Anelka got on the ball, I was trembling and saying 'Oh, no' under my breath. He is in the form of his life at the min, and I know his goal was more than a bit fortunate, but he is now the most dangerous striker on the French team, IMO.

Strange how different people view matches differently.
    I thought Anelka was ponderous and laboured whenever he got the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Strange how different people view matches differently.
    I thought Anelka was ponderous and laboured whenever he got the ball.

Madness, best player on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Abidal ruled out on wednesday so that means Escude centre back i think??

Not sure if thats a good thing coz Abidal looked a little dodge at times..
    Escude has only had a few caps though so big pressure on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Watched the game from the Hague while my brother and dad had my tickets !!!

Gutted by the result. Felt we were unlucky not to hit the front in the first half. Second half was a little bit dodgier, and I felt that France had a goal in them. Anelka's shot wouldnt always have gone in, but its the luck of the draw.

I wouldnt rule us out on Wednesday, however, it WILL be difficult. The concession of the away goal means we have nothing to lose, but we have not been scoring too many goals in the qualifiers. Thats a natural worry which all fans should consider. Remember without the ability to score, we cannot redress this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Anyone know what Diarra is supposed to have said?

Going to Paris needing something might suit us anyway. Had we gone there defending something we'd have had the same thing we had last night where it was always a case of when and not if France would score.

We have to go there now, knowing we have to score. And i think this side has goals in them when they go looking for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

el dude wrote: »
    We have to go there now, knowing we have to score. And i think this side has goals in them when they go looking for them.

The thing is that the manager probably won't see it this way - theres a good chance it'll be the exact same 11, exact same formation and attitude of 'containment first', whilst looking to score from a setpiece.
    And if we get to the 80th minute 0-0, then maybe a couple of slightly more attacking substitutions and a kitchen sink job for the last 3 minutes.

And the truth is that this is probably the correct way of approaching the game, the way that maximises our rather bleak chances. Even though many of us would like to see us really go for it all guns blazing from the start it probably won't happen.

There'll be nothing gung-ho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

el dude wrote: »
    Anyone know what Diarra is supposed to have said?

From Soccernet
    Although the exact details of Diarra's comments have not been disclosed, it has been reported that he suggested the tie was over as a contest, leading Andrews to accuse the Real Madrid midfielder of a lack of class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

From Soccernet
    Although the exact details of Diarra's comments have not been disclosed, it has been reported that he suggested the tie was over as a contest, leading Andrews to accuse the Real Madrid midfielder of a lack of class.

would be friggin great if andrews came up to el galactico and said fin at the end of the game....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Massive respect for the lads after that performance on saturday. Guts, determination and pure will power. Very unlucky to lose by a deflected goal. Ignoring posession for a moment, If you look at the clear cut chances of both sides, either team could have won.

+1 on Anelka, he was the man of the match imo. Dropped deep in the second half and controlled the game from midfield. He still has that burst of pace and power, greta feet and a good shot. Very dangerous.

Wednesday: This tie isn't over by a long shot. It only takes a second to score a goal as Clough said. France proved they were no great shakes in the first half when we got in and around them. If we take that attitude again in paris and get a goal in the first half we will certainly have them rattled. I have great hopes for wednesday night. Still think we have a great chance. Robbie won't let this opportunity pass by. Due a big game goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

From Soccernet

Thats a good thing! If Diarra said that and got no reaction then it would mean the players agree with him, but as they got offended by it, we can guess that the players still feel theres a chance of us getting through! Hopefully Andrews will go in a bit tougher on his first few tackles after this. Thats what we needed in the 1st leg!! (as well as someone to win free kick at the edge of the box)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

We can do it, no doubt about it. It will come down to the attitude of the players and whether they believe we can or not.
    If the players believe we can, and go out with the attitude that nothing is going ot prevent us from our goal we can do it.
    One area where the french wont match us is for heart and spirit, drive and determination.
    If we have that in the bucket loads on Wednesday evening, we'll give it a fair rattle.
    Who knows then what will happen.

We really need not to concede an early, that would let the heads drop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

whycliff wrote: »
    We really need not to concede an early, that would let the heads drop.

If we France score before we do its game over IMO, we need to get an early goal to put France under pressure, if that happen they'll crack before we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I don't think we were ever going to hold out for a 0-0 over 180 minutes (plus Extra Time) and then hope to go through on penos, so we were always gonna have to score.

If anything, we should just take the positives from our situation and hope that France become complacent with their lead and take their foot off the gas on Wednesday.

And to trundle out a battle wearied cliché, we do tend to perform better when we are the underdogs, so here's hoping for a shock result come Wednesday night.

I do agree with helimachoptor though, if France score first I think we're done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Tbh, I don't think it would change a whole lot if France score first, we'll still need two goals anyway and it'd mean the game won't be going to ET and peno's (prob a good thing!) but yeah, def agree heads would drop and that would be that then.

Would be great going into the last 10-15mins at 1-1 (2-1 to them on aggregate), one kick/head of a ball away from the World Cup, I'd have no doubt we'd get even a half chance in that last 10-15mins and the French would buckle IMO. Keep the faith lads, we can dream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I do agree with helimachoptor though, if France score first I think we're done.

France will score.

We need to score 2. Can it be done, of course. Games like this create very funny pressure. 1-1 with 15 minutes to go, deflected arsé shot anything can happen.

Can't remember the last time France conceeded 2 in Paris in a qualification campaign though. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Fair play to the boys, they gave their all in the system they were asked to play in.

With Abidal out and players wound up by Diarras comments, who knows what could happen. We need a first half goal on Wednesday though...if we are still 0-0 going into the final 25, there is no-one, apart from McGeady on his day, that can change the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

If you offered me penalties right now I'd snap your hand off.

Sorry about the pessimistic outlook, but I don't see us scoring 2 in Paris:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

BaZmO* wrote: »

And to trundle out a battle wearied cliché, we do tend to perform better when we are the underdogs, so here's hoping for a shock result come Wednesday night.

I think we're better away from home & the players know it. Tis a pity we conceded but the pressure will be on France to come out & get a goal. We're more than capable of nicking a set-piece. If we can the French players will be under severe pressure. Romania, Austria and some other smaller nation (can't remember off-hand) have all scored in the Stade de Frande of late & with a positive outlook I don't see why we can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If we can score 1, it will put France in an awkward position. The fans will be on their back, and they'll want to press forward to avoid penalties, while being fearful of conceding a second away-goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

On the match, it was a fantastic first half performance. It was the best I've seen Ireland play in a long time. Some great touches and passing movement. Second half was a disappointment though.... France took control of the game completely. Was shocked to see Duff come off, was there any reason to this? (I couldn't hear commentary as was out for dinner)

Also, I know Best came on to do a specific job, hold the ball up, but he failed miserably at it and gave the ball away every time he touched it. A very costly substitution.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Tbh, I don't think it would change a whole lot if France score first, we'll still need two goals anyway and it'd mean the game won't be going to ET and peno's (prob a good thing!) but yeah, def agree heads would drop and that would be that then.

Would be great going into the last 10-15mins at 1-1 (2-1 to them on aggregate), one kick/head of a ball away from the World Cup, I'd have no doubt we'd get even a half chance in that last 10-15mins and the French would buckle IMO. Keep the faith lads, we can dream!

It's the mental side of things though. The french fans aren't exactly patient and supportive of a struggling team. If France score first it's easy for them to stay behind the team. If Ireland score first it's a whole other ball game. The longer it goes on the more frustrated the fans will get. That's like turning an away fixture into a home fixture.

Richard Dunne 7 minutes in. I can feel it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

What are the odds that Dunne or Andrews will break Diara's legs? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

ziggy wrote: »

Aw go home it was a joke don't actually hope they do.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

FutureGuy wrote: »
    if we are still 0-0 going into the final 25, there is no-one, apart from McGeady on his day, that can change the game.

He was trunks on Saturday, I'd take Duff, Keane even Lawrence over him to change a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Maybe I keep watching him on a bad day, but surely Darron Gibson must have something about him if Alex Ferguson and the United coaches rate him?! We're craving for someone that can put a foot on the ball and take the pressure off. And as for Andrews and Whelan - if they are starting when the Euro qualifiers come around then I truely despair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

3 words in my head after the game - "Best", "Leon", and "Why?"

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    At the time I thought it was a good idea, but he was very ineffective alright.

Does anyone think Duff didn't help out enough in defence? I can easily recall Lawrence/Keane/Doyle tracking back a lot, but I felt Duff was a bit lazy in this regard

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Taking off Doyle for him was ridiculous, Doyle looked fit and up for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

He was trunks on Saturday, I'd take Duff, Keane even Lawrence over him to change a game.

I apologise, I meant a player from the bench. Keane, Duff and Lawrence should all start on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I guess he was brought on to try and disrupt the French defence with some physicality and agression.

Folan away against the Italians was a similar move and one that worked very well.

The difference between the managerial masterstroke and managerial blunder is that Best didn't play well once he was put on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Taking off Doyle for him was ridiculous, Doyle looked fit and up for it.

Doyle was drifting out onto the wings, he was having absolutely no joy going through the centre and the possibility of him scoring or setting up Keane looked increasingly unlikely, even though his general play was good.

It was a gamble by Trapp, hoping the more direct play of Best would create a few headaches for Abidal (like Noel Hunt against Italy). It didn't pay off but i can see the rationale behind it.

Doyle was drifting out onto the wings, he was having absolutely no joy going through the centre and the possibility of him scoring or setting up Keane looked increasingly unlikely, even though his general play was good.

It was a gamble by Trapp, hoping the more direct play of Best would create a few headaches for Abidal (like Noel Hunt against Italy). It didn't pay off but i can see the rationale behind it.

true he wasn't getting anywhere near the centre but even with what he was doing he proved to be a lot more effective than Best. He was shown up. I wish Clinton was in instead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

true he wasn't getting anywhere near the centre but even with what he was doing he proved to be a lot more effective than Best. He was shown up. I wish Clinton was in instead of him.

Clinton!! Are you having a laugh??

• Advertisement

Clinton!! Are you having a laugh??

no, he scored many crucial goals for us, away from home too

I wish Clinton was in instead of him.

Now that's an idiotic statement imo, isn't Best outperforming Clinton significantly at club level? What does Clinton offer that Best doesn't have?
    no, he scored many crucial goals for us, away from home too

Keane has scored many goals for us too yet he played sh*te last night too. Unfortunately, football isn't quite that simple.

Keane has scored many goals for us too yet he played sh*te last night too. Unfortunately, football isn't quite that simple.

If you thought Keane was sh*te you were watching a different game

If you thought Keane was sh*te you were watching a different game

Fair enough. You still haven't explained why Clinton is a better option than Best? Care to address the points I make instead of side stepping them?

I personally would rather have him in there because I thought he was always a decent player for Ireland, seemed to love playing for the country, and scored vital goals. He was good at holding the ball up and I think he should be in the squad.

I personally would rather have him in there because I thought he was always a decent player for Ireland, seemed to love playing for the country, and scored vital goals. He was good at holding the ball up and I think he should be in the squad.

Fair enough. In my opinion Doyle possesses all of Clinton's qualities and more, so if Doyle isn't going to have an impact it's unlikely a like for like sub for Clinton will make much difference, and it'd be more valuable to the squad to have players in a slightly different mould a la Folan and Best.

Fair enough. In my opinion Doyle possesses all of Clinton's qualities and more, so if Doyle isn't going to have an impact it's unlikely a like for like sub for Clinton will make much difference, and it'd be more valuable to the squad to have players in a slightly different mould a la Folan and Best.

I agree Doyle is similar, he's not scoring though, maybe it's because Clinton wasn't part of such a bloody oppressive negative system that he got goals.
    What is Best supposed to be though? He's not particularly tall, so he's hardly a target man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

What was said after the match that led to the handbags?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Caoimhín wrote: »
    What was said after the match that led to the handbags?

I was wondering the same.

4103791531_7fdd4393c3.jpg

Plenty of pushing and shoving, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I would also rather Morrison than Best.

Clinton has looked really good any time I've seen him this season and Best has failed to inspire any confidence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement