Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. France WC Playoff Sat/Wed 14/18 November **K/Os 8 PM/9 PM**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm starting to get the creeping feeling that this one could end up as penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Think 1-1 would be a good result. Ireland play better when the opposing team is defending.

Winning 1-0 could put us in a dangerous position in France.

How on earth can you think it's better for us to go to France after letting in an away goal than going there with a clean sheet? 0-0 or 1-0 from the 1st leg and I'll be damn pleased sat night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

0-0 is the obvious best result for us in Dublin. I'd go with 1-1 after that. If France have to score, they will. If they don't, well it wouldn't be the first time Robbie Keane has popped up with precious few seconds remaining...

Toulousain wrote: »
    0-0 is the obvious best result for us in Dublin. I'd go with 1-1 after that. If France have to score, they will. If they don't, well it wouldn't be the first time Robbie Keane has popped up with precious few seconds remaining...

I know what your saying but I just can't agree that we would be better off with 1-1 than 1-0.
    If we go to France at 1-0 and France then have to score then they are under pressure to come at us, if we go there with 1-1 then we are under pressure to score and I can't see that being a good thing with the system we play under right now, last thing we need is to go to France having to push forward and give them opportunities to get in behind with the forwards they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

0-0 at home with Given saving a peno
    1-1 away, John O'Shea in stoppage time. The French crowd attacks Domenech at the final whistle.
    South Africa here we come! ;)

I'm all hyped up for this now! bring on the French!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If it goes to penalties I'll be bloody happy. The nerves are real now :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Got my Paris tickets in the post today. Can't wait for both games now and the nerves are staring to jingle! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

From the FAI website
    Due to the return of tickets from the French Football Federation (FFF) for the first leg of the FIFA World Cup play-off on Saturday, November 14th in Croke Park, approximately 1000 tickets for Irish fans will go on sale from www.ticketmaster.ie tomorrow (Thursday, November 12th) at 12.00pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

BaZmO* wrote: »
    From the FAI website

Happy days. Noodler all hope is not lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Any ideas on ticket prices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Here's a stat we've only lost 1 match where keane has scored and that was on peno's to spain back in 02:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Tom65 wrote:
    Any ideas on ticket prices?

AFAIK, the tickets are all for Hill 16 and will be €50 each plus Ticketmasters charge of ??????????????? about €50! :)

Here's a stat we've only lost 1 match where keane has scored and that was on peno's to spain back in 02:eek:

That was a draw.

We've never lost a game in which Keane has scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Anyone know where the French team are staying?:o

That was a draw.

We've never lost a game in which Keane has scored.

Well let's just say in full time then.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Really looking forward to this match, it's as if we are in the world cup already and this is a knockout match.

I have a feeling Whelan will get a wonder goal!

Looking at there attacking options, Given will have to be on form. Will the team be announced on the day or sooner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Whats the latest on the tv rights for the 2nd leg in France?Will rte/tv3 get it?:confused:

My two cents on the tie...
    1st leg:Would be delighted with a 0-0.We will need super defensive performance and a bit of luck!

2nd leg:With a 0-0 from the first game we can take more chances going forward and if the french get one then we just need a 1-1 to get through!

AFRICA 2010 HERE WE COME BABY!!!:D

2002....Eight years since a World Cup. 2010.....Eight Years since a World Cup. That's one omen anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

briany wrote: »
    2002....Eight years since a World Cup. 2010.....Eight Years since a World Cup. That's one omen anyway.

2001: Iran, 2008: France. Americans don't like either. There's another one.

Tom65 wrote: »
    2001: Iran, 2008: France. Americans don't like either. There's another one.

Haven't Franco-American relations warmed up a bit by now? Maybe there's still antipathy there towards the French among their populus. Somewhat ironic considering the Cajun element and French Canada above them.:rolleyes: Also, besides their politicians, I've heard that Iranians are an almost scarily nice people to visitors. Would be very interesting to hear how anyone who went to Tehran in 2001 got on over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I've read that every supporter is gonna be provided with a green card to hold up on Saturday. That's gonna look amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Vokes wrote: »
    I've read that every supporter is gonna be provided with a green card to hold up on Saturday. That's gonna look amazing!

FFS. Green cards! you would think the FAI could have come up with something half decent like say

camp_nou_5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

better than nothing i suppose!
    i was in landsdowne when they started doing that. was pretty good. it wasnt just green, it was the tri-colour.

they also played some motivational music. i dont mean like rocky, but that theme thats always played in films when ppl go into space. (breass band/orchestra, dah nahhh!)

but tbh, for once i dont think much build up is needed to get the crowd going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

lol that cant be real!

"Blaguer" means "to joke"...

And that post code isn't in Paris...

Something smells fishy...

"Blaguer" means "to joke"...

And that post code isn't in Paris...

Something smells fishy...
    I'd be more worried about the dodgy nature of the correspondence rather than the minor details of a valid address. It's obviously just a p1sstake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

So what starting team we looking at?

OShea Dunne Ledger Kilbane
    Lawrence Whelan Andrews Duff
    Doyle Keane

I suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

Any one see sky sports news this morning? it showed the French team training yesterday with about 100 French fans in attendance, then the camera pans around to the corner of the pitch where about 7 Irish fans dressed up as leprechauns are spraying champagne! i nearly choked on my cornflakes laughing! Psyching them out or what!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That would appear to be the strongest team to me, alright.

That would appear to be the strongest team to me, alright.
    What, the 7 leprechauns or the team only1stevo listed? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

redout wrote: »
    FFS. Green cards! you would think the FAI could have come up with something half decent like say

They are being provided by the examiner newspaper. The FAI do not have the cash for displays or so was the outcome of discussions I believe.

lads,
    just out of curiosity, if there is to be a good atmosphere at croker (and in paris), i'm assuming we're gonna need some chants.

this got me thinking, do we have any chants, like really?
    all i can think of (off top of my head) is
    "ireland clap clap clap"
    "clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap IRELAND!"
    stand up for the boys in green
    ole ole

thats pretty crap really. we need some new ones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I'm sh!tting myself Kilbane will be torn to shreds. I'd honestly be more comfortable if John O'Shea moved to the left; with Stephen Kelly at right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

The_B_Man wrote: »
    lads,
    just out of curiosity, if there is to be a good atmosphere at croker (and in paris), i'm assuming we're gonna need some chants.

"ireland clap clap clap"
    ole ole

+1

I hope we can all sing along to the French national anthem again!

• Advertisement

Just after reading a piece by Emmet Malone on Tardelli. It would seem that it's not just us Irish that have problems understanding Trap's broken English, his fellow Italians seem to be also confused at times.
    At this, he launches into a story about Trapattoni, then 50 years old, showing Tardelli and his other players a card with a picture of a crown with five footballs on it.

“He said at the time: ‘I don’t know the meaning of this crown with five balls,’” recalls the midfielder. “I think he meant that, even at 50 you can always learn something.”

With that the press conference ends and a room full of slightly sceptical journalists nod, smile and start packing up their things, quietly pleased, it seems, that even those who know him well and speak his language can sometimes only hazard a guess at just what it is exactly that Trapattoni is really on about.

:D Five balls eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

On SSN there it showed bout 6 irish supporters, dressed up as leprechauns or wearing the irish flag standing on top of something at the french training ground, and singing. quite funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

only1stevo wrote: »
    So what starting team we looking at?

OShea Dunne Ledger Kilbane
    Lawrence Whelan Andrews Duff
    Doyle Keane

I suppose...
    Nah, I reckon it'll be McGeady and Duffer on the wings. Duff on the right, McGeady on the left. For me the only selection poser is whether Trap plays McGeady or Hunt on the left wing. Have a feeling he'll plump for the McGeady due to Hunts effectiveness as an impact sub.

Will be surprised if Lawrence gets the call ahead of McGeady/Hunt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Pighead wrote: »
    Will be surprised if Lawrence gets the call ahead of McGeady/Hunt

I disagree. I think Lawrence got the nod against Italy because Grosso the left back was an offensive threat. It will be the same with Evra so I think Lawrence is almost a certainty to start. His free kick delivery is excellent which is another plus.

McGeady has the skill to beat players but he rarely produces. He could be better coming off the bench if we need a bit of creativity later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I disagree. I think Lawrence got the nod against Italy because Grosso the left back was an offensive threat. It will be the same with Evra so I think Lawrence is almost a certainty to start. His free kick delivery is excellent which is another plus.

McGeady has the skill to beat players but he rarely produces. He could be better coming off the bench if we need a bit of creativity later on.
    I disagree with you too! The only reason Lawrence started was because Duff was missing last time out. Lawrence played well against the Italians but it has to be remembered he hasn't been starting regularly for Stoke this season. Only one start in the last eight or nine games.

Nah, I reckon he'll keep Duff on the right wing where he has been playing all season for club and country. Doubt he'll start messing about at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

big_show wrote: »
    Any one see sky sports news this morning? it showed the French team training yesterday with about 100 French fans in attendance, then the camera pans around to the corner of the pitch where about 7 Irish fans dressed up as leprechauns are spraying champagne! i nearly choked on my cornflakes laughing! Psyching them out or what!

Anyone have a link to a video of this, would love to see ti for the craic!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I can see Lawrence starting too, has much more of a physical presence than McGeady and seems to have a lot of determination and character about him. I really like the guy. I try to block out that video of him spit roasting some teenager when I think of him. Oh no I just thought of it :(

whycliff wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to a video of this, would love to see ti for the craic!!!

http://www.skysports.com/video/clips/0,23791,,00.html

Go to 2.10 and watch from there.

Excellent!

The_B_Man wrote: »
    lads,

"ireland clap clap clap"
    ole ole

There are a few threads devoted specificallly to chants on the ybig forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the tickets I got are for the Cusack stand lower tier

is that good ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

Voltwad wrote: »
    +1

I hope we can all sing along to the French national anthem again!

We should sing 'The Wearing Of The Green' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

What's the difference between bread and frenchmen?

You can make soldiers out of bread.

WAHEEYYYY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

thats brilliant!! :D

But fake I'd say :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement