Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. France WC Playoff Sat/Wed 14/18 November **K/Os 8 PM/9 PM**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

0-0 in Croker folled by a late goal for Ireland in SdF, making it either 1-1 or 1-0 to us. It's the only way. If we win in Criker, France'l will come out with full guns. We need to have them defensively mided for game 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think that game will be one of those occasions were there is so much excitement and anticipation in the lead up to the game that when it finally arrives I'll be melllow enough about it and take it as it comes. I'm sure the fans at the game will be going crazy though. Let's just hope the performance of the Irish team lives up to the performance of the fans which is looking like being off the scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

redout wrote: »
    If France score more than one at Croker then the tie is over end of.

ALL THE FOLLOWING ARE ACCEPTABLE TO REMAIN IN WITH A SHOUT:

0 - 0
    1 - 0 Ireland
    0 - 1 France
    1 - 1

Can't agree with that!! 0-1 or 1-1 and we are pretty much out. A 0-0 i would take right now...with that i'd be confident enough. With a 0-1 or 1-1 we'd need to chase the game & that wud be a disaster.

But i made my prediction and its not good! 1-1 at home & a 2-0 loss in Paris.
    I hope 100% that i am very very wrong with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

5/2 Ireland to qualify.

Is there anyone out there putting big money on France to win the tie? That would mean that whatever happened you would get something. Though last time I checked, the odds on France to go through were such that you would have to put a pretty sizeable bet on to get a worthwhile return. How much would you put on the line in order to tempt fate?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Stevecw wrote: »
    Can't agree with that!! 0-1 or 1-1 and we are pretty much out. A 0-0 i would take right now...with that i'd be confident enough. With a 0-1 or 1-1 we'd need to chase the game & that wud be a disaster.

But i made my prediction and its not good! 1-1 at home & a 2-0 loss in Paris.
    I hope 100% that i am very very wrong with this.

I think you give France too much credit. They are not that mighty a team and as Sir Alex pointed out earlier today they rarely score more than a goal or two. Ireland despite their shortcomings are quite a difficult side to score against and when we do concede its seldom ever more than a single goal. I wouldnt be down in the doldrums over the results you mentioned. We are always capable of scoring ourselves even if we do F ALL for most of the game but defend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

France are not what they once are, them needing a play off to get to SA says it all.

Onus is on Ireland, whip in the crosses and free kicks etc, only chance we have to win IMO.

If we are nervy and make mistakes it would be a nightmare, I hope the old fox trap has instilled the paramount importance not to make mistakes and play it safe..:rolleyes:

Ireland leading at half time, France to be leading at full time, 30/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Ireland leading at half time, France to be leading at full time, 30/1.

What odds on you giving the pessimism a rest?

noodler wrote: »

Think the match may well work out this way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

noodler wrote: »
    I'll give ya evens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Ireland to start dashingly, get an earlier goal, rattle the French, the French to storm back and ultimately equalise, then to try for another, fail, and Ireland score.

Ireland 62-1 France.

You can bet money on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

heavyballs wrote: »
    if you think we can compete with the frogs you're the goon,let's just wait till the match is over and if i'm wrong i'll call myself a goon

I never said we could or we couldn't. I just said I hoped we'd win and you'd end up losing your 400 euro bet. Obviously I'm not hoping you'd collect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Put them under pressure. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ooh ah, ooh ah.
    Its about playin, bein aggressive, and puttin em under pressure!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

briany wrote: »
    Fanni (Rennes)
    Excuse me for being childish but... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Looks like Toulalan might not be fit. He hasn't trained with the squad, supposedly.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5691408,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Brady putting down a marker for the Referees already. :)
    “We have to believe that the match officials will be strong and independent-minded enough to ignore any sense that it is France that the powers that be in Fifa would prefer to see in South Africa (next summer) because these – Martin Hansson of Sweden and Germany’s Felix Brych – are two Champions League referees and they will be thoroughly scrutinised because of what’s gone on. We certainly expect better refereeing than when I was a player.”

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

http://chambersonsport.blogspot.com/2009/11/unseeded-ireland-could-sprout-surprise.html

Article I wrote for the University Observer on the playoffs just after the draw.

Toulalan's absence is definitely a positive for Ireland. With Ribéry already absent, we're eliminating France one player at a time. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Christ I'm gettin fair nervous now :( Next summer is just gonna be ****e if we are not there!

Dreamt last night that we win 3-0, McGeady gettin an early goal, France missin a hatful of chances (a la Holland 2001) and Robbie Keane scoring 2 in stoppage time! Robbery!

Seriously though, if we do score first what odds on us finally being able to keep a lead? Tie hinges on it imo, we have to actually hold on to a lead sometime, tomorrow night I hope is it. Of course we actually have to take the lead first...set piece I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I'm not particularly a Trap fan (especially RE selection) but I think he has made a real find in Leon Best. Scoring regularly in the Championship and being regularly linked with Premier League moves this season. Since Quinny we've been craving for a big, physical presence, particularly given the type of football we play. Certainly an option on the bench, a much better player than Folan. Here's hoping he can make a difference against France.

The Liam Miller selection isn't as irritating now as he is doing well in Scotland.....even though the standard is ****e. He got player of the month for October. When Chris McCann and Keith Fahey (won't even get into the Andy Reid business) were fit a couple of months back it pissed me now end that Miller, a guy without a club after failing in the Championship, was getting the nod ahead of them.

Whether we qualify or not, I really hope Trap starts experimenting in the spring friendlies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

France will croak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I got sent some interesting facts today about the tie -

http://backpagefootball.com/info/international/set-pieces-key-for-ireland/
    Set pieces key for Ireland

Ireland and France do battle over two legs this week and BackPageFootball has some interesting facts to digest thanks to Castrol Performance research.

Richard-Dunne-celebrates--001.jpg

A big factor in this tie could be the ability of the Ireland team to take advantage of set pieces. In the group stages, the Irish netted seven times from dead balls, accounting for 58% of the total goals scored. This was the fourth highest amount out of any European team.

On the flipside, France conceded more goals from set pieces than any other team bar the Netherlands. Overall they were hit six times, a figure which equates to 67% of their total goals against.

IrelandFrance1.png

The loss of Franck Ribery to the French side has been well documented, though the Bayern Munich midfielder may not be as important as has been made out.

Since his debut in 2006, Ribery has played 41 internationals of which the French have won 23. This gives a win percentage of 56%. However, when he has been absent, the team has won 8 out of 11 matches giving a win percentage of 73%.

IrelandFrance2.png

For more facts and figures visit http://www.castrolfootball.com/rankings/rankings/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

RichTea wrote: »

I'll get me gun to speed up the process :)

Is Trap leaving naming the team till before the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Starting to get really giddy/nervous/excited about tomorrow now. Don't know if I'll be able to get much sleep tonight!

I fancy our chances tomorrow. I know there's the second leg but no point in worrying about that until the first leg is out of the way.

• Advertisement

Do you think that should Ireland, if they find themselves at an advantage tomorrow, should use a little bit of gamesmanship in order to waste time and slow down the pace of the match. Do ye think that would be worthwhile or would it just cause too much bitterness on the part of the French? I remember Duff saying in a newspaper article that we have to get a bit more cunning and sneaky like that if it means winning the match. He has a point I think and truth be told I'd rather have a one nil Irish win with a bit of timewasting to run the clock down than a one all draw with the French coming away saying "Hey decent result against the Irish tonight and wow are they honest players or what, they play it right down the line!"

Remember when Israel came here and pulled level and then their goalie faked an injury in order to run the clock down? Remember how much we all hated him? But at the end of the day they got their point.

Should Ireland put their rep as a bunch of very honest players on the line and get sneaky if it means winning this tie and have we forgiven Israel yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Do you think that should Ireland, if they find themselves at an advantage tomorrow, should use a little bit of gamesmanship in order to waste time and slow down the pace of the match. Do ye think that would be worthwhile or would it just cause too much bitterness on the part of the French? I remember Duff saying in a newspaper article that we have to get a bit more cunning and sneaky like that if it means winning the match. He has a point I think and truth be told I'd rather have a one nil Irish win with a bit of timewasting to run the clock down than a one all draw with the French coming away saying "Hey decent result against the Irish tonight and wow are they honest players or what, they play it right down the line!"

Remember when Israel came here and pulled level and then their goalie faked an injury in order to run the clock down? Remember how much we all hated him? But at the end of the day they got their point.

Should Ireland put their rep as a bunch of very honest players on the line and get sneaky if it means winning this tie and have we forgiven Israel yet?

To answer your question - yes, we definitely should. If it was Shay Given 'milking the clock' against France, he'd be lauded by all. Rightly so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

KevR wrote: »
    Starting to get really giddy/nervous/excited about tomorrow now. Don't know if I'll be able to get much sleep tonight!

I fancy our chances tomorrow. I know there's the second leg but no point in worrying about that until the first leg is out of the way.

I just watched this

I'm bouncing off the walls now!

Come on the lads!

Okay, I'm now officially sh!tting myself! Really worried about Kilbane, he has to be at the peak of his limited ability as a defender - France should will rip us apart down the right. Keith Andrews must tackle and not just mark space.

I like Lawrence but hope McGeady starts. His crossing is inconsistant, but his ability to run at defenders which relieves pressure on the defence is vital. On the flip side LL has good set pieces yet lacks pace. Duffer will obviously start, pleasing that he is in very good form for Fulham. Hunt is more of an impact sub for me.

Got Andy O'Brien sent off too. :mad:

Really worried about Kilbane, he has to be at the peak of his limited ability as a defender
    Yawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

We'll put em under pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yes we should waste time if we get the lead. That is an integral part of the defensive, anti-football style that Trap has given us. The worst thing possible would be to follow Trap's ethos but do it half arsed by developing a purist conscience at any point. I strongly believe that whatever strategy you choose, you have to enact it completely. The worst thing is to compromise and dilute your style.

If we are to take the lead at any point I actually hope we don't do it until late on; the later the better. Because as soon as we do get a lead, or favourable scoreline, at any point over the two legs, the French will up their game. The shorter the time we have to weather the French onslaught, the better. Then we can concentrate on trying to break up the game and frustrate them.

*shudders* i feel so italian.

F@*k it!

France 65,000,000+ population

Ireland 4,400,000+ population

Do what ever it takes!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Got Andy O'Brien sent off too. :mad:

Yawn

I admire Kilbane's honesty, commitment, and years of service, but frankly he's shit nowadays. If he is a starter in the Euro qualifers I'll be furious. Yet at the same time I wonder if he'd be any worse in central midfield than Andrews.

Sorry, but I'm always this brutally honest. :P

I admire Kilbane's honesty, commitment, and years of service, but frankly he's shit nowadays.
    Well that's 5 Premiership & 4 International Managers that disagree with you.

If he is a starter in the Euro qualifers I'll be furious.
    Well if we do make it to South Africa I'd say he'd retire from International Football, although you wouldn't know with Killer, he always seems up for the Ireland games.

Well if we do make it to South Africa I'd say he'd retire from International Football, although you wouldn't know with Killer, he always seems up for the Ireland games.

'Nowadays' being the operating word.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

What does it matter if previous managers in the past picked/bought him? IRISHSPORTSGUY said he is shìt nowadays, that's got nothing to do with the past. And just because a player is getting his game for whatever team in whatever league, doesn't automatically mean he is good or is the best option.
    I like Kilbane but he is definitely the weak link in our defence, he has made some bad mistakes in this campaign.

'Nowadays' being the operating word.
    Ok......Well that's 1 Premiership & 1 International Manager that disagree with you.

In other news........
    Giovanni Trapattoni will leave it until shortly before kick-off in the World Cup play-off with France before making a decision on whether to start Aiden McGeady or Liam Lawrence on the right side of midfield.

Republic of Ireland team to play France at Croke Park on Saturday in the World Cup play-off first leg:

Shay Given

John O'Shea

Richard Dunne

Sean St Ledger

Kevin Kilbane

Aiden McGeady/Liam Lawrence

Keith Andrews

Glenn Whelan

Damien Duff

Robbie Keane

Kevin Doyle

RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

In other news........

RTE

You missed Doyle there! I nearly had a heart attack.

Shay Given

John O'Shea

Richard Dunne

Sean St Ledger

Kevin Kilbane

Aiden McGeady/Liam Lawrence

Keith Andrews

Glenn Whelan

Damien Duff

Robbie Keane

Kevin Doyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I havent been impressed at all with Andrews, he has been very poor. I just seen this on wiki
    After his recent performances a poll was taken by the Blackburn rovers supporters Club where Andrews was officially named the worst player to play for Blackburn rovers in their Premiership history, beating Coraddo Grabbi by a 7 votes to 1.

deisedevil wrote: »
    You missed Doyle there! I nearly had a heart attack.

Ha, sorry. Obviously my copy and paste skills are somewhat lacking. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Somebody please put this argument to bed!Is there away goal rules ala champo league?
    cheers!

Ok......Well that's 1 Premiership & 1 International Manager that disagree with you.

Kilbane has been turd for a poor Hull side and Brown has him benched for a while. And as for Ireland I just strongly disagree with Trapattoni - I would feel much more comfortable with John O'Shea at left back with Stephen Kelly on the right.

mike65 wrote: »

Put him on the Premiership. Nothing controversial but he speaks a fair bit of sense tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Kilbane has been turd for a poor Hull side and Brown has him benched for a while. And as for Ireland I just strongly disagree with Trapattoni - I would feel much more comfortable with John O'Shea at left back with Stephen Kelly on the right.

Sure Stephen Kelly is much worse than Kilbane. :confused:

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Somebody please put this argument to bed!Is there away goal rules ala champo league?
    cheers!

Of course there is. When was this ever in doubt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    cheers!

Yes.

BAZMO cheers for nearly giving me a heart attack too, i thought trapp had changed his formation to 4-5-1 and was not feeling good.....

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Sure Stephen Kelly is much worse than Kilbane. :confused:

I think Kelly is too lightweight. At least we know what we will get with Kilbane, relatively quick, strong in the air and strong in the tackle.

Playing Kelly on the left leaves too many issues for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement