Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. France WC Playoff Sat/Wed 14/18 November **K/Os 8 PM/9 PM**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

thorbarry wrote: »
    I havent been impressed at all with Andrews, he has been very poor. I just seen this on wiki

I don't rate him at all but I'd be a tad surprised if that's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

noodler wrote: »
    Put him on the Premiership. Nothing controversial but he speaks a fair bit of sense tbh!

That's all well and good but can he throw a pen like Dunphy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He has impressed me more than Gibson for Ireland. With no Andy or Stephen Reid around I don't see what other option he has.

I think Kelly is too lightweight. At least we know what we will get with Kilbane, relatively quick, strong in the air and strong in the tackle.

Playing Kelly on the left leaves too many issues for me.

Opinions are like arseholes yada yada yada. Kelly has superior positional sense and is a natural full back. If only we could mould the the two together...... ;)

Opinions are like arseholes yada yada yada. Kelly has superior positional sense and is a natural full back. If only we could mould the the two together...... ;)

Ah here, I wouldn't go as far as to call you an arsehole - that'd be a little harsh.

Not sure what you are basing that on RE: Kelly. I think he has played about 3 games for Fulham this season. Last time he played for Ireland he mad a howler and let Georgia score inside a minute whilst the game prior to that one he had a shocker in Slovakia.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Somebody please put this argument to bed!Is there away goal rules ala champo league?
    cheers!

seriously what planet have you been living on? Look at your username ffs? Do you even follow football??? Christ!

Ah here, I wouldn't go as far as to call you an arsehole - that'd be a little harsh.

Not sure what you are basing that on RE: Kelly. I think he has played about 3 games for Fulham this season. Last time he played for Ireland he mad a howler and let Georgia score inside a minute whilst the game prior to that one he had a shocker in Slovakia.

He wasn't fully fit but started iirc. :confused: He has played 7 games in all competitions FTW for a PL team in Europe.

He wasn't fully fit but started iirc. :confused: He has played 7 games in all competitions FTW for a PL team in Europe.

You got a link? I just want to see the breakdown of which games were Europa and which were PL.

I had the chance to see him in a Europa game or two and he got himself sent off.

Not a natural left full back is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I'm raging I'm working for both legs. If Ireland can keep a clean sheet at home it really is their's for the taking. I'm hoping McGeady's crossing doesn't let him down tomorrow. If he plays well and puts some quality ball in the box Ireland will score. I am going for 1-0 Ireland. COME ON THE BOYS IN GREEN.

You got a link? I just want to see the breakdown of which games were Europa and which were PL.

I had the chance to see him in a Europa game or two and he got himself sent off.

Not a natural left full back is he?

How does that mean he isn't a natural full back? :confused: He's better at defending and overlapping with wingers than Kilbane, and has played there his entire career - hence a more natural full back. Most of his games have been Europa League, aye. Check out soccerbase. Not saying he's a great player by any means but I'd feel more confident that he wouldn't fuck up.

• Advertisement

How does that mean he isn't a natural full back? :confused: He's better at defending and overlapping with wingers than Kilbane, and has played there his entire career - hence a more natural full back. Most of his games have been Europa League, aye. Check out soccerbase. Not saying he's a great player by any means but I'd feel more confident that he wouldn't fuck up.

Stop putting the confused smiley in your posts, it only make your posts look silly.

How could you quote what I said and then still get it wrong? I said he isn't a natural left full back, he is right footed.

Don't kill yourself getting that link for me btw. Just checked and has only played one PL game this season. I am sure you realise Hodgson is playing him in Europe to give the first choice players a rest, right? Nonetheless a game is a game but Kilbane's much higher number of PL games this season carries more weight with me.

Kelly will get his chance next campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You're more confident he wouldn't **** despite him being terrible and ****ing up the last 2 times he has played for Ireland? I don't where you get your confidence from.

How often have you seen him play this season? I can't imagine all the Europa league games were on tv. 2 of them were qualifiers as well. Then he got sent off in another one.

Not sure at all hoe you have seen enough of him this term to want him to replace Kilbane.

What I do know, even if Kilbane is off form he can still provide an aerial threat/defence, will not go missing and will be strong. I can't say the same of Kelly.

Stop putting the confused smiley in your posts, it only make your posts look silly.

How could you quote what I said and then still get it wrong? I said he isn't a natural left full back, he is right footed.

Don't kill yourself getting that link for me btw. Just checked and has only played one PL game this season. I am sure you realise Hodgson is playing him in Europe to give the first choice players a rest, right? Nonetheless a game is a game but Kilbane's much higher number of PL games this season carries more weight with me.
    Kelly will get his chance next campaign.

Someone is getting cranky. :P

I believe I said that I'd prefer John O'Shea to left back and Kelly to right back. ;) Kilbane has been playing in midfield for Hull when he has featured this season.

JPA - don't forget he wasn't really fit against Georgia.

Someone is getting cranky. :P

I believe I said that I'd prefer John O'Shea to left back and Kelly to right back. ;) Kilbane has been playing in midfield for Hull when he has featured this season.

JPA - don't forget he wasn't really fit against Georgia.

I am not cranky EVER!

I am not sure how you could argue it was fitness that led to Kelly's mistake against the Georgians. It was way worse than either of Kilbane's against Bulgaria (hell the one in Sofia was just unlucky in my book).

Are you sure Kilbane has only played for Hull at Left Midfield this season?

Even if that is true, it is not a major concern. He has played 3 times in that position for his country this term and has years of experience doing it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I really hope he starts Lawrence over McGeady. Lawrence seems a more robust winger and a set piece danger.

McGeady could work very well as an impact sub when the full backs fatigued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Just wanna give one come on Ireland before i go home. Come on boys give them lots of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

I really hope he starts Lawrence over McGeady. Lawrence seems a more robust winger and a set piece danger.

McGeady could work very well as an impact sub when the full backs fatigued.

Agreed. I think Lawrence should start also, judging on the games I have seen him in for Ireland. Of course that's somewhat troubling in itself because that's only what? Four games? And only Two of those were competitive. I like McGeady as well, I was very impressed with the way he was dancing past Italian defenders but I was also equally impressed by Lawrence and he of course has the potential potency from free kicks. Hopefully he gets the nod and his honeymoon period is extended by at least two more games......

I am not cranky EVER!

I am not sure how you could argue it was fitness that led to Kelly's mistake against the Georgians. It was way worse than either of Kilbane's against Bulgaria (hell the one in Sofia was just unlucky in my book).

Are you sure Kilbane has only played for Hull at Left Midfield this season?

Even if that is true, it is not a major concern. He has played 3 times in that position for his country this term and has years of experience doing it anyway.

Kelly had some sort of injury, can't remember the details. Kilbane has played on the left wing and in central midfield for Hull. Not sure I agree with the Sofia comment - didn't he get caught on the wrong side of his man? I recall at the time thinking his positional sense was woeful.

Regardless of what I think, Trapattoni WILL Kilbane give the nod tomorrow because of his experience (although you're reading this Trap ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well that's 5 Premiership & 4 International Managers that disagree with you.

Well if we do make it to South Africa I'd say he'd retire from International Football, although you wouldn't know with Killer, he always seems up for the Ireland games.

Kilbane wil be 40 years old, with no club and will still want to play for Ireland.
    One thing he gives is honest commitment.
    Puts Stephen Ireland to shame really, Kilbane is being all he can be by doing all he can, whilst Ireland is a waster.
    I can see him being flogged frmo Man City when they statr to roll in some more big guns.
    Met Killer on a flight from Birmingham few years back, has the thickest English accent ever.
    Loves playing for Ireland though, you cant ask for more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I'm hoping we beat them at Croker and then draw in France - any mention of what the weather is like tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Some of the family have met him a few times they live up in achill and appearantly he's great craic but thats not surprising really it's not an accent that makes you where your from look at richard dunne he's got an english twang just from playing there for so long

Well said whycliff - I wish he had Ireland's talent. :(

Putting all Kilbane talk aside, did anyone else read in the Star about Andre-Pierre Gignac loving Gaelic Football when he was in Ireland one summer as a kid? Class. :D

ya i saw that also remember alonso saying before it was when he came here to learn english and saw gaelic thats why he loves doing the long passes

Has anyone any idea how many irish got tickets for the paris match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

to be honest i'd be more worried about St Ledger at centre half than Kilbane at full back, up until the goal against Italy, i panicked anytime he was near the ball, and then the same after the goal, he's a liability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'd be concerned for anyone advocating Kilbane's place in the team, never mind the set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Aidric wrote: »
    I'd be concerned for anyone advocating Kilbane's place in the team, never mind the set up.

Then advocate who you'd have in there instead. We don't have many options in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

JP Liz wrote: »
    I'm hoping we beat them at Croker and then draw in France - any mention of what the weather is like tomorrow?

Hope it doesn't rain because I'm on the Hill.

Off-topic but I wish thet could leave the Hill as a standing area for internationals. More tickets, better atmosphere, people who prefer standing are facilitated...etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Regardless of what I think, Trapattoni WILL Kilbane give the nod tomorrow because of his experience (although you're reading this Trap ;))
    Ha, spoken in true Trappish! ;)

look at richard dunne he's got an english twang just from playing there for so long
    Huh? Are you talking about the same Richard Dunne that plays for Ireland?

Aidric wrote: »
    Yeah cos we've got loads of options in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

OK, with 17 inches of rain* forecast to fall tonight and hurricane winds tomorrow afternoon, whats the chances of Croker being unplayable?

And is there a contingency plan - I know games have often been put back 24 hours but thats not really a possiblity with the rugby game on Sunday.

* 17 inches of rain may be an exaggeration but forecast is rotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Forecast to stop by kick-off.

Either way, the pitch will be in a jock for the rugby.

Ya same richard dunne, maybe it's in my head:o

In my mind, a rainy night in Croke Park will probably favor whichever team has the most poise and who takes their chances. Only a little over twenty four hours to go now.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CopOXfetMGs

It's time for blind faith - I'm officially in happer clapper mode. C'MON YOU BOYS IN GREEN!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

a messy lumpy pitch could be great, the French wont be able to play their ghey fancy flair football and wont like it up 'em when we're hoofing in long balls!

Little less than a full day now. Will it be "Ole ole ole","Danger here" or the boys debating the benefits of taking a nil all to Paris?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

If the pitch at the Morton Stadium (TG4 now) is anything to go by the match tomorrow is set up for a 0-0 draw I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Can't wait for this, the nerves will be mad tomorrow morning, can't imagine how the players are feeling.

I'm expecting a big performance from us, passion and commitment with 100% effort is all i'm asking, I don't think we need the french to play bad for us to get a result, we can however make them play bad!

the team is in apart from Lawrence/Duff, Trap needs to sleep on that one.

I'd be very happy tomorrow night if we bring a realistic chance of qualification to Paris with us, would be a shame with all this build up that it ends in the 1st leg.

Given,

O' Shea St ledger Dunne Kilbane

McGeady/Lawrence Whelan Andrews Duff

Keane Doyle

Im happy with that team no matter who gets the nod for the final position, i myself would rather McGeady though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Can see the game tomorrow ending up being a draw. If we go to France with a lead we have some hope of getting through if not we are up poo creek without a paddle. I'm gonna say 0-0 or possibly 1-1. Don't think we will come away from Croker with a defeat anyhow. Paris will be a different story though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

magma69 wrote: »
    Can see the game tomorrow ending up being a draw. If we go to France with a lead we have some hope of getting through if not we are up poo creek without a paddle.

Totally agree. Hate to be negative, but I can see a 0-0 tomorrow, then holding out for about 80mins before conceding in France, a heroic failure. Need a 2-0 win tomorrow. No point clapping ourselves on the back after a 0-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

If the pitch at the Morton Stadium (TG4 now) is anything to go by the match tomorrow is set up for a 0-0 draw I think.

I would think the pitch at Croker might be able to hold up a bit better than Morton Stadium.

A lot could depend on how much rain does fall between now and then.

Not optimistic at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

best chance is 0-0 all tmr at home and then 1-1 away from home

Answer me this how am i ment to go to work tomorrow i won't be able to concentrate i'm already up the walls wishing this match would start. It was the world cup back in 02 that got me into soccer in the firstplace i'd love to see us give it anothe lash:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Stan - "IRELAND WILL BEAT FRANCE"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8357914.stm

If Stan says it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

darkman2 wrote: »
    Stan - "IRELAND WILL BEAT FRANCE"

So much for that, then. Anyone for poker tomorrow night?

Interesting to hear what Steve has to say on the matter. I reckon if Ireland can make it through, his "sins" will be largely forgotten and he'll be remembered as a great player for the team and the manager thing will be just a bit of a sour footnote:)

Looked to be lashing rain in all quarters of Ireland that football matches were being played in tonight. Would hope for something of a dryer night tomorrow because I don't like the idea of it being a sort of slippery scrapfest. Not that there is a great chance of that judging from the forecasts that I've seen.

We take the lead though a jammy Robbie Keane goal in the first half, France pound us for the rest of the game as Richard Dunne is heroic........and in the last minute Aidan McGeady hits them with his pace on the counter, squares it for Doyle 2-0. THEN in the dying seconds a long ball forward and Squilacchi man-handles Leon Best; Robbie Keane steps up for the pen and sends the 'keeper the wrong way. Crowd is electric, media hysteria, Dunphy to say "tonight is the night McGeady became a man."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

We take the lead though a jammy Robbie Keane goal in the first half, France pound us for the rest of the game as Richard Dunne is heroic........and in the last minute Aidan McGeady hits them with his pace on the counter, squares it for Doyle 2-0. THEN in the dying seconds a long ball forward and Squilacchi man-handles Leon Best; Robbie Keane steps up for the pen and sends the 'keeper the wrong way. Crowd is electric, media hysteria, Dunphy to say "tonight is the night McGeady became a man."

Oh my god, I dreamt that would happen too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

just did my pants!!!

seriously , I dreamt it ended 1-1 (st Ledger)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement