Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 09/10 Season

Options
  • 07-11-2009 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭

What are peoples predictions and expectations for this season.

Not going to go through every team, it is still more or less as you were with a lot of teams, no major shifts.

I think the Celtics will come out of the East, the Cavs and Orlando will be up there as well obviously but I think with Garnett back plus the addition of Wallace, they look to be very strong.
    LeBron will obviously bring the Cavs most of the way but not too sure if the addition of Shaq will giver them that push that they needed.
    Other than the Cavs, Celtics and Orlando, don't think any other team will contend, Atlanta will be competitive and do well I think. Miami and Wade will have their moments but not enough.
    Looking forward to seeing how Chicago and Rose progress this year.

The Lakers will probably come out of the West but I wouldn't be too surprised to see Denver giving them a good push. Lakers look too strong though especially with Artest come playoffs.
    Other than these two, don't think there will be much between many teams, Phoenix have started well and would like to see them continue, I thought they were going to struggle this year.
    Portland should be up in the higher half, they look interesting.
    Dallas, San Antonio still have their great players and are always dangerous.
    New Orleans have the one man show, he is worth the entrance money alone.
    Looking forward to seeing how Oklahoma do and if the Clippers sneak into the playoffs.

As for my own team, the Warriors, what an absolute joke of a team, they are embarrassing to watch, the only bright spot is Ellis and he probably wants to leave. Why draft Curry when the team clearly needs some big men. Nelson has to go and the whole thing has to be overturned, total joke.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Well, I'm a Cavs fan and am dissapointed with our start so far. James will save us a lot this season. We'll make the playoff's but that'll be about all.

Love the fact ESPN are showing the matches this season:D:D Can't wait for xmas day, Cavs vs Lakers 10pm!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

As for my own team, the Warriors, what an absolute joke of a team, they are embarrassing to watch, the only bright spot is Ellis and he probably wants to leave. Why draft Curry when the team clearly needs some big men. Nelson has to go and the whole thing has to be overturned, total joke.

I'm just glad we lost the way we did last night. It's the only hope we have of things actually changing so something can actually happen e.g. fans boycotting, Rowell realising Nelson has to go or even the ultimate dream scenario of Cohan selling. I hope we lose all our games like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Sea Devils wrote: »
    I'm just glad we lost the way we did last night. It's the only hope we have of things actually changing so something can actually happen e.g. fans boycotting, Rowell realising Nelson has to go or even the ultimate dream scenario of Cohan selling. I hope we lose all our games like that.

The thing that lets them get away with it, is that they are able to fill the seats every night, dopey Californians seem happy to accept this whole debacle. They should of been heckled out of Oracle last night, instead we had idiots cheering away when Warriors scored a few pathetic points at the end. Imagine this at Boston, fans wouldn't accept it, all organisations go through tough times but not many are run like this.

The thing that lets them get away with it, is that they are able to fill the seats every night, dopey Californians seem happy to accept this whole debacle. They should of been heckled out of Oracle last night, instead we had idiots cheering away when Warriors scored a few pathetic points at the end. Imagine this at Boston, fans wouldn't accept it, all organisations go through tough times but not many are run like this.

It's not just Boston though. Most NBA fans would never let their organisation be run the way the Warriors are day in day out. Any team that has Miki Moore ahead of Anthony Randolph in the rotation deserves all the misery they can get unfortunately.
    Boston and Portland will meet in the Finals, but only if Garnett manages to not get injured agained before the playoffs. Otherwise, they'll take the title.

You really think Portland will make the Finals over the Lakers/Spurs?. Seriously?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Well my favorite team the Philadelphia 76ers have started out 3-2. Im not expecting too much this season probably another first round playoff loss, but have to say that its great that the NBA is back on Irish tv with ESPN this year.

• Advertisement

It's not just Boston though. Most NBA fans would never let their organisation be run the way the Warriors are day in day out. Any team that has Miki Moore ahead of Anthony Randolph in the rotation deserves all the misery they can get unfortunately.

I think Nelson could seriously hamper Randolphs career, I don't see him sticking around too long under Nelson. I will say though that a problem Warrior fans have is expecting too much from young players like Randolph in that he will be some what of a savior to the franchise, he could become a very solid NBA player if he is coached right and knows his limitations but this may never happen.
    Main problem with Warriors is the cycle they find themselves in, they will get a high draft pick next year but not high enough, around 8th or 9th, this is no good, have limited trading options cos no decent player wants to come here. This is the same old story.

Nelson got rid of J Rich and Baron, that says enough, what a complete joke !
    Another ****e result against the Kings and they are missing Martin, lets see what they have in store tonight :rolleyes:

I know I'm contradicting myself here but even though I wanted the Warriors to lose last night the willingness to pass the ball that never happenned in the Kings/Clippers games was a delight to watch. We have a decent shot at just being competitive by playing unselfishly. It doesn't matter whether we win or lose, because we're going to lose more often than we win just based on lack of talent.

I wouldn't care if we go 19-63 as long as we continue to play the way we did last night which is a big if obviously. I mean even Jackson had 15 assists:eek:

I know it happenned a few days ago but A.I granted leave of absense from Memphis

There are rumblings that he's basically quitting. What I don't get is that he insisted no one told him the Grizzlies would be rebuilding. That team won 24 games last year and is full of rookies, 1, 2 and 3 year players. What did you think was going to happen?brick.gif

I know I'm contradicting myself here but even though I wanted the Warriors to lose last night the willingness to pass the ball that never happenned in the Kings/Clippers games was a delight to watch. We have a decent shot at just being competitive by playing unselfishly. It doesn't matter whether we win or lose, because we're going to lose more often than we win just based on lack of talent.

I wouldn't care if we go 19-63 as long as we continue to play the way we did last night which is a big if obviously. I mean even Jackson had 15 assists:eek:

It was more painful watching them win that way last night that it is watching them get the hammering, for the shear fact that they will play so bad again in the not so distant future.

"playing unselfishly" don't expect to see that too much, must of been a full moon last night or something, would be be a great thing if they did do that though.
    Jackson is some prick, just a complete wanker, he just plays when he wants to and when it suits him, he must be looking to really push a trade now i say.

As for Iverson, sad to see things going like this at the end of such a great career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

I know it happenned a few days ago but A.I granted leave of absense from Memphis

There are rumblings that he's basically quitting. What I don't get is that he insisted no one told him the Grizzlies would be rebuilding. That team won 24 games last year and is full of rookies, 1, 2 and 3 year players. What did you think was going to happen?brick.gif

Ya its ridiculous. He could have found a better fit elsewhere.

As for the Celtics Ive like what ive seen so far aside from Big Baby punching out his friends. Rasheed is contribution and is not talking and Rondo is all over the place in a good way!:D Its a long season thought and they aint the youngest team. We started fast last season and there was talk of 70 wins before Christmas but then Garnett got hurt and the team faded in the playoffs. Shelden Williams and Marquis Daniels have been nice additions to the bench so hopefully they can give the older guys some help to save their legs for the business end of things. Im cautiously optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I'm happy to see Miami doing well so far this season. Although they are one Dwayne Wade injury away from missing the playoffs, but they are getting contributions from all players so if Wade can stay healthy they should be ok.
    Love to see Jason Williams still getting off ridiculous passes and playing reasonably well.

Jackson is some prick, just a complete wanker, he just plays when he wants to and when it suits him, he must be looking to really push a trade now i say.

Don't talk to me about Jackson:mad:. He has done everything possible to make me go from a huge fan just to completely hating him. He not only scammed the Front Office but I feel he scammed Warriors fans.

The Warriors took him in from Indiana and defended him when other people considered him a thug. Fans rooted hard for Captain Jack, bought his jersey, and accepted him. And then he treats this organization, the fans, and the game of basketball with absolutely no respect at all.

He's a con artist who spun the adoration of the fans into a $28 million extension and then decided to mail it in until he gets traded. Now we all know how the Knicks fans felt when Stephen Marbury became a cancer

I saw where the Hornets fired Bryon Scott. I wasn't all that impressed by them two years ago (when Scott won COTY) until they took the Spurs to 7 games and were a couple of breaks away from playing the Lakers in the WCF

So I started giving them their due and thought they were for real the following season (like everybody else). And it turns out they were pretenders all along. :(

Good win for the Cavs yesterday against the Heat. That's 6 wins in 7, we've gone on a nice little run:D:D

King James and Mo Williams got 61 between them while rookie JJ Hickson got 18. D-Wade got 36 and Jermaine O'Neal got 15 for the heat.

Cavs are now 6-3, Heat are 6-2.

BTW, LeBron is ment to change his number from 23 to 6 in respect of Michael Jordan.

Last nights results:

Miami Heat 104 - 111 Cleveland Cavaliers
    LA Lakers 121 - 102 Phoenix Suns

East Top 8:
    1 Boston Celtics (8-1)
    2 Miami Heat (6-2)
    3 Atlanta Hawks (6-2)
    4 Milwaukee Bucks (4-2)
    5 Cleveland Cavaliers (6-3)
    6 Orlando Magic (6-3)
    7 Toronto Raptors (4-4)
    8 Detroit Pistons (4-4)

West Top 8:
    1 LA Lakers (7-1)
    2 Phoenix Suns (8-2)
    3 Denver Nuggets (6-3)
    4 Dallas Mavericks (5-3)
    5 Portland Trail-Blazers (6-3)
    6 Houston Rockets (5-3)
    7 San Antonio Spurs (4-3)
    8 Sacramento Kings (4-4)

Good win for the Cavs yesterday against the Heat. That's 6 wins in 7, we've gone on a nice little run:D:D

King James and Mo Williams got 61 between them while rookie JJ Hickson got 18. D-Wade got 36 and Jermaine O'Neal got 15 for the heat.

Cavs are now 6-3, Heat are 6-2.

BTW, LeBron is ment to change his number from 23 to 6 in respect of Michael Jordan.

Last nights results:

Miami Heat 104 - 111 Cleveland Cavaliers
    LA Lakers 121 - 102 Phoenix Suns

Cavs looked good last night but it is what is expected of them, Hickson looks like a fine player and played really well.

Wade could be my favorite player, love watching him play, superb attitude on and off court. O'Neal played well, he will only get stronger if he stays injury free. Miami need a 3 point shooter I think, that is one area they seem to be weak.

Lakers v Denver tonight I think, should be a good game, no love lost there.
    There have been some good games so far with a lot of intensity among the big teams, nice to see that at the start of a season.

On Scott getting the chop, I think it was an easy way out for the owners in some respects, he can only do so much with what he has got. He may not be the greatest coach ever but that team is Chris Paul and he needs more than him, a lot of players on that team are under performing and West is not what he was two years ago, Stojakovic is old now as well

Last night's results:

New Jersey Nets 72 - 88 Orlando Magic
    Utah Jazz 112 - 90 Philly 76's
    Golden State Warriors 121 - 107 New York Knicks
    Portland Trail-Blazers 86 - 78 New Orleans Hornets
    Atlanta Hawks 97 - 86 Boston Celtics
    Dallas Mavericks 89 - 77 Minnesota Timberwolves
    Houston Rockets 100 - 109 Sacramento Kings
    Toronto Raptors 104 - 89 LA Clippers
    LA Lakers 79 - 105 Denver Nuggets

That's a massive loss for the Lakers against the Nuggets, Kobe settled for 19 while Mello got 25 for the Nuggets. Bynum got a double-double with 11 rebounds and 19 points

Some News on Chris Paul: http://www.nba.com/2009/news/11/13/paul.injury/index.html

East Top 8:
    1 Boston Celtics (8-1)
    2 Atlanta Hawks (7-2)
    3 Miami Heat (6-2)
    4 Milwaukee Bucks (4-2)
    5 Orlando Magic (7-3)
    6 Cleveland Cavaliers (6-3)
    7 Toronto Raptors (4-4)
    8 Chicago Bulls (4-4)

West Top 8:
    1 Phoenix Suns (8-2)
    2 LA Lakers (7-2)
    3 Denver Nuggets (7-3)
    4 Dallas Mavericks (6-3)
    5 Portland Trail-Blazers (7-3)
    6 San Antonio Spurs (4-3)
    7 Sacramento Kings (5-4)
    8 Houston Rockets (5-4)

Looks like I was wrong about Brandon Jennings. He could very well be the best player in this draft going by how incredible he was last night. What was even more impressive was he started the game scoreless in the 1st quarter and was 1/7.

I'm still not entirely sure about his attitude but I didn't expect him to play like this for the first few games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭jonny oxford

That's a massive loss for the Lakers against the Nuggets, Kobe settled for 19 while Mello got 25 for the Nuggets. Bynum got a double-double with 11 rebounds and 19 points

Nice bit of revenge for Denver. Bryant was held scoreless in the second half, now that doesn't happen every day!

Last Nights results:

Atlanta Hawks 121 - 98 New Orleans Hornets
    Charlotte Bobcats 74 - 80 Portland Trail Blazers
    Chicago Bulls 94 - 88 Philadelphia 76ers
    Cleveland Cavaliers 107 - 103 Utah Jazz
    Indiana Pacers 113 - 104 Boston Celtics
    Memphis Grizzlies 97 - 87 Minnesota Timberwolves
    Miami Heat 81 - 80 New Jersey Nets
    Milwaukee Bucks 129 - 125 Golden State Warriors
    San Antonio Spurs 98 - 101 Oklahoma City Thunder
    Washington Wizards 103 - 106 Detroit Pistons

Another night of surprises with the Thunder beating the Spurs and the Celtics losing to the Pacers as well as Jenning's 55 point game. My Cavs have gone on a 4 game winning streak. A good win over the Jazz without Shaq, 21 for James, 20 for Hickson:):). D-Wade got a buzzer beater to sink the Nets

East Top 8:
    1 Atlanta Hawks (8-2)
    2 Miami Heat (7-2)
    3 Boston Celtics (8-3)
    4 Milwaukee Bucks (5-2)
    5 Cleveland Cavaliers (7-3)
    6 Orlando Magic (7-3)
    7 Indiana Pacers (4-3)
    8 Toronto Raptors (5-4)

West Top 8:
    1 Phoenix Suns (8-2)
    2 LA Lakers (7-2)
    3 Portland Trail-Blazers (8-3)
    4 Dallas Mavericks (6-3)
    5 Denver Nuggets (7-3)
    6 Sacramento Kings (5-3)
    7 Houston Rockets (5-4)
    8 Oklahoma City Thunder (5-4)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Enzo Scifo

Looks like I was wrong about Brandon Jennings. He could very well be the best player in this draft going by how incredible he was last night. What was even more impressive was he started the game scoreless in the 1st quarter and was 1/7.

I'm still not entirely sure about his attitude but I didn't expect him to play like this for the first few games.

What a start he is having. 29 points in the 3rd qtr :eek:. Almost a treble double on his debut and avg 25+ through 7 games.

• Advertisement

Last night's results:

Detroit Pistons 90 - 95 Dallas Mavericks
    LA Lakers 91 - 101 Houston Rockets
    Oklahoma City Thunder 93 - 101 LA Clippers
    Phoenix Suns 101 - 100 Toronto Raptors

Stoudemire get's 30 as the Suns move to 9-2, Brooks picks up 33 for the Rockets as the Lakers lose 2 in a row, Durrant gets a season high 40 but the Thunder lose to the Clippers who stop a 3 game losing streak and Stuckey gets 28 but the Pistons lose to the Mavs

Get well soon, Karim Abdul-Jabber - http://www.nba.com/2009/news/11/15/abduljabbar.reax.ap/index.html

Sixers go a man down - http://www.nba.com/2009/news/11/15/speights.injury.ap/index.html

Could the Trail-Blazers great start be in danger - http://www.nba.com/2009/news/11/14/blazers.outlaw.ap/index.html

Grizzlies get some help - http://www.nba.com/2009/news/11/14/grizzlies.tinsley/index.html

Rocket's release player - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/basketball/8360062.stm

East Top 8:
    1 Atlanta Hawks (8-2)
    2 Miami Heat (7-2)
    3 Boston Celtics (8-3)
    4 Milwaukee Bucks (5-2)
    5 Cleveland Cavaliers (7-3)
    6 Orlando Magic (7-3)
    7 Indiana Pacers (4-3)
    8 Toronto Raptors (5-4)

West Top 8:
    1 Phoenix Suns (9-2)
    2 Portland Trail-Blazers (8-3)
    3 Dallas Mavericks (7-3)
    4 Denver Nuggets (7-3)
    5 LA Lakers (7-3)
    6 Houston Rockets (6-3)
    7 Sacramento Kings (5-4)
    8 Oklahoma City Thunder (5-5)

I absolutely love this trade.

Seriously I'm over the moon. Bell's career might almost be over but he's a decent perimeter defender plus with his age it's a nice change of pace and it's important to have considering the youth on this team. As for Radmonivic he's a decent shooter who will get minutes but his biggest asset is his contract which expires after next year.

Just Maggette and Monta to try and move now:D

Brandon Jennings 55 points was exceptional although be it against a Warriors team that didn't seem to want to contest his shots, great achievement all the same though, he was drafted around tenth I think, not too sure though.

Stephen Jackson finally traded to the Bobcats with Law, Warriors get Bell and Radmanovic. I think it is a good trade no matter who the warriors get in return, two solid experienced players here so it is a good move. Bells contract is expiring and I think Rads has another year on it but it beats paying Jackson 28 million for the next 3 seasons. Wouls of been nice to get Diaw but main ting is that Jackson is gone.
    Bad news about Azubuike, great team player.

Interesting article on Nelson here from last week

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/12514475/nelsons-abrasive-style-might-have-him-on-way-out

I absolutely love this trade.

Just Maggette and Monta to try and move now:D

Maggette is expendable alright but at the same time he is decent player and if we had decent system he would work out just fine. Contract is a bit high though. Similar enough situation to Jamal Crawford and he is playing very well now, not as natural a scorer though.

Monta though, he is probably one of the few good things at the warriors, unless they got some really great trade for him I think he has to stay and out Nelson.

Monta though, he is probably one of the few good things at the warriors, unless they got some really great trade for him I think he has to stay and out Nelson.

Monta is an immature idiot.I remember a GSOM article that came out around the 2007 NBA Draft that said the Warriors wanted to trade Monta Ellis because they were unhappy with his attitude and maturity level. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time but it's beome quite clear now in 2009, after the moped accident, and the fact that Monta was obviously unhappy when the Warriors drafted Stephen Curry shows he is immature.

He might be a good basketball player but he's defintely not the Franchise leader that the Warriors thought he'd be so. We should have voided his contract after the moped incident but hopefully we shop him around the next few weeks .

As for Magette he's a blackhole on Offense who in ten seasons in the League has never averaged more then 3 assists per year which is pathetic. His contract is awful but I have a feeling we're not looking at moving him anytime soon.

Say what you want about Larry Riley being Nellie's puppet, but Riley managed to dump Crawford for expirings and then dump Jackson for Raja/Vlad.

The only downside actually to this trade was Nellie will start Vlad at centre because he can shoot 3's but otherwhise both were excellent trades for the Warriors :cool:

Find a home for Iverson:
    http://www.nba.com/2009/news/11/16/iverson.cut.ap/index.html

Seriously, 3 games and he's gone. Reading the story, these personal problems don't sound good.

Monta is an immature idiot.I remember a GSOM article that came out around the 2007 NBA Draft that said the Warriors wanted to trade Monta Ellis because they were unhappy with his attitude and maturity level. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time but it's beome quite clear now in 2009, after the moped accident, and the fact that Monta was obviously unhappy when the Warriors drafted Stephen Curry shows he is immature.

He might be a good basketball player but he's defintely not the Franchise leader that the Warriors thought he'd be so. We should have voided his contract after the moped incident but hopefully we shop him around the next few weeks .

As for Magette he's a blackhole on Offense who in ten seasons in the League has never averaged more then 3 assists per year which is pathetic. His contract is awful but I have a feeling we're not looking at moving him anytime soon.

Not going to disagree about Magette, he is what he is and the Warriors are stuck with him, he has some shocking contract though.

I understand what your saying about Ellis, one only has to listen him interviewed to realize that he is not the sharpest tool in the box.
    On his attitude though, its the NBA, every second player has a bad attitude, Moped incident was retarded but he gives the Warriors that something special on the floor that not a lot of players have.
    I don't think he is ready to be franchise player, what Warriors need is to bring a mature leader to try and influence Monte and point him in the right direction.
    I wonder how much the big 3 in Boston, especially Garnett have helped Rondo, they have definitely improved all aspects of his game and this is what Ellis needs.
    His mentor at Warriors was Jackson sure, that will never be a good thing.

Letting our franchise player Davis leave has not helped matters either, they had a great partnership going, not saying Davis is not without his own attitude problems but it worked on the floor.

I am not too confident in Curry but I hope I am wrong. Just get Nelson out first is all I can say.

Thats a good point. Hopefully Raja Bell can show him the ropes and actually teach him to play Defense something only Mike Montgomery did. However I just get the feeling that he doesn't want to be here but it's too early to come to that sort of conclusion.

I'm just not a fan of undersized 2 guards like Ellis or Gordon and with the exception of Allen Iverson they don't win anything in this League. If this season turns into a cap-clearing (specifically moving Mags and Monta), top-5 lottery pick type of season, it will have been all worth it.

• Advertisement

Last Night's results:

Portland Trail-Blazers 95 - 99 Atlanta Hawks
    Charlotte Bobcats 91 - 97 Orlando Magic
    Dallas Mavericks 115 - 113 Milwaukee Bucks

- Dirk hits a buzzer beater to sink the Bucks in OT. Marion out with spraind ankle - http://www.nba.com/2009/news/11/16/marion.ankle.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

- GS Warrior's CJ Jackson tests positive for swine flu - http://www.nba.com/2009/news/11/16/flu.warriors.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

- Lakers Luke Walton out with a pinched nerve - http://www.nba.com/2009/news/11/17/walton.lakers.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

East Top 8:
    1 Atlanta Hawks (9-2)
    2 Miami Heat (7-2)
    3 Boston Celtics (8-3)
    4 Cleveland Cavaliers (7-3)
    5 Orlando Magic (8-3)
    6 Milwaukee Bucks (5-3)
    7 Indiana Pacers (4-3)
    8 Chicago Bulls (5-4)

West Top 8:
    1 Phoenix Suns (9-2)
    2 Denver Nuggets (8-3)