Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 09/10 Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

padraig_f wrote: »
    Looking forward to tonight's Bulls-Celtics game (though probably wouldn't be if KG was playing). The Bulls are better than their overall record suggests, with Tyrus Thomas back and Derrick Rose fully healthy, they've played some of their best basketball in the last 10-12 games.

I think it's a winnable one for them, and will be more like the playoff series last season than the blowout defeats they suffered earlier this season. I'm tempted to have a bet on them at 5/2.

I hope you had faith in your prediction, I agree that the Bulls are better than their record suggests, big fan of Rose. Noah had a super game tonight, very active player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Yeah Derrick Rose is better than last year. I was watching a game last year on TNT, he hit a 15-foot jumper and Doug Collins said "if he hits that shot, you can't guard him". But he wasn't hitting it regularly and players were standing off him because of his pace. Over the summer he worked on his jump-shot and you can see the difference in the arc of the shot, it's a bit higher than last year's and it's been going in more regularly giving him a much bigger range of shots.

Joakim Noah is probably the most improved player in the league this year. I heard some talk of him being a possiblity for the all-star team (he's one of five players in league averaging a double-double). I'm not sure he'll make it, but the fact that he's even in that conversation would've been impossible to believe last year.

The other big find for the Bulls this season is the rookie Taj Gibson at small forward. He's the highest rebounding rookie in the league, and he just does everything well - rebounds, shoots the ball well, is athletic, makes good decisions. He's keeping fit-again Tyrus Thomas out of the starting line-up at the moment. Expect to see him in the rookie team on all-star weekend.

The Celtics win was a big one (though they were obviously under-strength) for confidence. The Bulls road record has been very poor up to now and they're embarking on their longest road trip of the season. If we win 5 out of the next 10 games, watch out Miami, we're after that 5th spot!

check out that Cavs @ Jazz game from the other day if you missed it, cough, amazing second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Did anybody hear or read about what Jerry West said about contraction in the NBA?.
    "Today you have so many players who are part of teams that probably could not have made a bunch of teams (then). I've always felt that contraction would be good for the NBA. I know Commissioner Stern probably doesn't like it, but some of these small market teams just can't compete financially."

Personally I'd disagree. The talent pool is much broader then it used to be and I think that marginal players from previous eras would have a hard time making today's teams, not the other way around.

Besides the beauty of the NBA is that small market teams can compete. San Antonio has proven that a well-run franchise can thrive, even if they're in the 37th largest market in the country. And the Knicks have proven that being in a big market doesn't mean squat. It all comes down to the quality of your front office which is why teams like Portland or the Thunder can build impressive young looking rosters because they're making intelligent decisions.

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 D_Rose1

Im a huge nba fan and joined boards just for this reason, its so hard to find other nba fans in ireland! Unfortunatly trying to juggle 1 and 2am games twice a week is hard with a leaving cert to do in 4 months! well worth it though!
    Can i just say first that david lee is having an EPIC seanson, considering the knicks only re-signed him for a million dollar one-year contract because of the amount of free agents at the end of the season, the guy is a beast this season. I seriosly think LeBrons heading for new york though.
    Im a bulls fan by the way (with a soft spot for the trailblazers!).

• Advertisement

hi D_Rose1, was just wondering if your namesake will make the all-star team tonight. I think he deserves to, he's been in awesome form lately. My favourite was his 32 points on 15-21 shooting at Phoenix, capped off by this play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 D_Rose1

Yeah hes really been playing well lately, hes starting to mature every game now and posting big numbers. At the start of season he was struggling though with his ankle injury but hes much more aggressive now and can drive or step back and knock down jumpers all day. He made the rookie roster so i doubt he will get called up to the all-star game, i think he deserves to though. Unfortunatly i think chris paul is gonna get back up pg. As great a player iverson is, i think its time for him to step back now. I really hope David Lee gets called up though, like Noah i really think they're the 2 best young centers in the league.

He's in! Delighted. First all-star for the Bulls since Jordan, and I don't think you could've picked a better guy to bridge the gap.

Full rosters are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NBA_All-Star_Game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

the celebs game should be a laugh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

padraig_f wrote: »

I love that clip Derrick is a beast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Read this for a laugh, Charles Barkley classic: here

Haven't posted in a while but just wanted wondering on peoples thoughts on the trades and their implications.

It was a fairly exciting trade deadline with most of the implications being for next year.
    Cleaveland were kind of scrambling to add a player as they know they are still missing that something to help LeBron win the championship. I thought Stoudmire would be the perfect addition if they wanted to make a real push this season but might not be the best long term deal. Not sure how he would fit with Shaq also.
    Jamison is brilliant in fairness but not sure if it is enough. Hope Illgauskus goes back, I think he is an excellent player and fan favorite.

I think Houston made a great trade, they offloaded McGrady and in return got Martin whom is a savage player, Jordan Hill and Jeffries two very good players and another player and draft picks. Cant ask for more than that in my opinion especially with such a great coach that will coach them well. Losing Landry does suck but how bad sure.

Knicks did well too, I think they are really setting up for next season and will obviously make some big movess. It gives McGrady some playing time too and prove he is still a class act. They could potentially have a super team next year.

Celtics getting Robinson adds a bit of energy so probably a good move for the Celtics but not a major move.

Portland did well getting Camby but did lose Outlaw, probably a good move but nothing to get too excited about.

Kings did ok too, I think they freed up some cap space and they have Evans so Martin was not a major loss. Landry is a good acquisition.

Bobcats did well requiring Thomas but it all depends on his attitude, he has got the skill but could be a flop.

Bulls look like they are looking to make some big moves next year too.

How does LeBron to the Bulls sound, No 23 and all that.....

Some good games today, Cavs v Orlando was a cracker, Warriors beat Hawks in a exciting game also, Curry is coming along nicely I must add.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Knicks did great acquiring T-Mac, hope he winds up in Orlando after this season, would love if they pick him up cheap as a backup to VC or 'shard, they also picked up a great back up PG in Sergio, Duhon sucks so Rodriguez is what they needed.

Um Clippers were the biggest losers, they gave up Camby,Al Thornton and Bassy for Drew Gooden.... wow!

Bron will stay in Cleveland next season they have done alot to keep him happy, once they offer a max contract he will stay. Wade may end up in chicago, i think him and rose could work together ok, Bosh will go to one of the Texas trio, there is no way he would stay in toronto, Joe Johnson will stay in atlanta aswell cuz they have a very stacked team. Knicks are guna be in trouble next season if they dont manage to pick up a max contract player cuz they only have four players under contract for next season, and even if they manage to get a max contract or two they will be hard pushed to afford decent role players.

Don't know if Nate will work in Boston considering Rondo & Rivers didn't seem to pushed at all about him joining the team, he doesn't seem like the player they need or one that would fit in to the mentality they have.

Cleveland will choke again, Stoudemire would have been a waste cuz him and Shaq can't play with eachother, Amare and Bron won't be able to play with eachother either cuz Amare just wants to be the no.1 player on a team getting the most money, he might end up in NY next season due to that.

Thats my 2 cents, prolly forgot some stuff but yeh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I think LeBron needs to evaluate what sort of contract he is to get in the summer. Like all athletes he should get paid what he's worth and that is the maximum allowed by the NBA....but, if he wants to win a championship he's going to have to take a lower salary as any team that has the funds (including Cleveland) simply don't have the backup crew to win a ring, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I think LeBron needs to evaluate what sort of contract he is to get in the summer. Like all athletes he should get paid what he's worth and that is the maximum allowed by the NBA....but, if he wants to win a championship he's going to have to take a lower salary as any team that has the funds (including Cleveland) simply don't have the backup crew to win a ring, imo.

as far as I remember, Lebron said he won't accept anything less than the max contract awhile back. I can see Cleveland giving in aswell, and going horribly over the cap

I'm a fan of Simmons and I think he's right on the money here. The sooner non guaranteed contracts are introduced the better. It should be like the NFL where you can cut a player who's milking the team but not producing. The NBA can incorporate "cap hits and penalties" too.

Sea Devils wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Simmons and I think he's right on the money here. The sooner non guaranteed contracts are introduced the better. It should be like the NFL where you can cut a player who's milking the team but not producing. The NBA can incorporate "cap hits and penalties" too.

That is a really good article, one of the best I have read in a long time, would agree with nearly everything he has to say.
    Somewhere along the line there has to be some consequences to how players and teams act.

Rodney Stuckey had a seizure on the court tonight. I didn't see it, but from what I gathered, he was on the bench, went unconscious and was taken off on a stretcher. Fortunately he's alert and conscious

Link to story

Rodney Stuckey had a seizure on the court tonight. I didn't see it, but from what I gathered, he was on the bench, went unconscious and was taken off on a stretcher. Fortunately he's alert and conscious

Link to story

Yea, saw that tonight alright, weird, just seemed to faint and fall into one of the coaches arms from his seat.

Anyone see the fall Thornton took tonight for New Orleans, oh man I haven't seen someone take such a fall in a long time, he kind of got flipped when he was coming down from trying to block a shot at the basket, he was so lucky he didn't seriously damage himself, he kind was in a bit of a curl so he avoided landing straight on his neck. Very lucky to say the least.

• Advertisement

I was watching the Thunder a few nights ago and even though they're having a good season and all, I can't help but wonder how much better they would be with a Westbrook/Evans/Durant combo. Durrant's a superstar and I think Evans is well on his way to getting there. Westbrook may not be on that level but he's already really good.

All they'd need were hustle/defense guys at the PF/C spots. They totally blew it. Harden isn't bad, but he'll never be a superstar.

Playoffs are just around the corner and I am really looking forward to them, as the season only really starts now and we get some real competitive basketball. Have a feeling their could be some classic series coming up.

Obviously Lakers are still the top dog in the West but I do think they are very beatable, obviously Kobe is the man but for me Gasol is the player that really makes a difference, nightmare matchup for teams.

Dallas are playing really superb at the moment and definitely in with a shout with Dirk on form.

Small bit disappointed with the Nuggets, not that they are bad but just thought they would be a little hotter. Come playoffs though, I am sure they will turn it up.

Of the others Oaklahoma look poised to take a scalp if they get the right team, Utah solid as usual, Portland very good but still not sure if they are good as the others, Phoenix look pretty good and always a threat, definitely got the players.

I think San Antonio might be a team others would like to avoid first if Ginobili is back to his best, not sure if Parker will be back but still a good team with Hill.

In the East Cleaveland have stepped it up this year and look like they could take it, Jamison will make a difference for them this year.

Orlando are still strong obviously and a very hard team to defend especially with their 3pt shooting, Carter is playing well also, hope his injury isn't too bad.

Boston are just too hit and miss for me.

Hawks have turned into a real solid outfit and hard team to beat.
    Bobcats have turned into some what of a revelation with Captain Jack and all (proves the Warriors are a joke and he is a wanker).
    Haven't seen too much of the Bucks but they do look decent, some going for Jennings to get to playoffs, Bogut is their key player for me, having a great season.
    Miami = Wade, nuff said.
    Toronto are hitting form at the right time and might be a team to avoid in the early rounds.
    Was hoping for better things off the Bulls, they have been unlucky with injuries but would still like to see them in the playoffs.

Not too many positives coming from the non playoff teams, The Kings have Evans at least. The Warriors and Washington are fighting to see who can lose the most games to get the third spot for the draft.
    Hopefully when(if) Ellison takes over Warriors he clears house and things improve.

Yao's career could be over. So sad. The "giants" almost always have shortened careers due to injuries

Yao's career could be over. So sad. The "giants" almost always have shortened careers due to injuries

Was this an Aprils Fools joke ? I thought he was making a good recovery and was well on schedule to be back for next season.
    Brilliant center in my opinion, best in the league when on form.

Was this an Aprils Fools joke ? I thought he was making a good recovery and was well on schedule to be back for next season.
    Brilliant center in my opinion, best in the league when on form.

Thats odd because all the reports I've read suggest he might not recover from his Foot Fracture whatsoever. Obviously I hope I'm wrong though.

A little random but has anybody read the Book of basketball by Bill Simmons?. The most entertaining B-Ball book in some time I've read anyway. His Russell/Wilt comparasion must be the most detailed I've seen in some time and the chapter about The Secret", which was (essentially, play as a team, it's not about individual numbers), was also quite interesting. I'd reccomend it anyway

I only read something a while back about him being available for World Championships and then for next season, it was only a small piece.
    I would trust your reports more, surprised I haven't heard more about it though since he could also be involved in trades for next season.

I saw the other day that Malone and Pippen were elected to the Hall Of fame. Was never much of a Malone fan at all considering what he did off the court and he was notorious for coming up short in big moments but nonetheless I'm glad for Pippen, the greatest perimeter Defender of all time imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I saw the other day that Malone and Pippen were elected to the Hall Of fame. Was never much of a Malone fan at all considering what he did off the court and he was notorious for coming up short in big moments but nonetheless I'm glad for Pippen, the greatest perimeter Defender of all time imo

what did Malone do off the court??

To be fair, him & Stockton were as good an inside-outside 1-2 punch that you could ever wish to see.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    what did Malone do off the court??

To be fair, him & Stockton were as good an inside-outside 1-2 punch that you could ever wish to see.

He impreganated a 13 year old girl, and denied the existence of their son. He talked to him once when he was 18, and flat out told the kid to go live his own life since it was too late to have a father son relationship.

And yeah him and Stockton were an effective punch but it was only when Barkley, Hakeem were way past their primes, and the Kemp Sonics imploded did the Jazz make the Finals. One of the most overrated players in NBA history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

He impreganated a 13 year old girl, and denied the existence of their son. He talked to him once when he was 18, and flat out told the kid to go live his own life since it was too late to have a father son relationship.

And yeah him and Stockton were an effective punch but it was only when Barkley, Hakeem were way past their primes, and the Kemp Sonics imploded did the Jazz make the Finals. One of the most overrated players in NBA history

f**k! Never knew that about Malone's off-court shenannigans!

Still, tough to call him over-rated, that Jazz team came pretty damn close against one of the best teams ever.

Advertisement