Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless setup keeps disconnecting

Options
  • 07-11-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I've recently tried upgrading my wireless network by installing a netgear wg302 access point to boost the signal. I have that plugged into the original router Digiweb sent to me, which I think is Zyxel model P-660HW-D1 (I think, according to the admin page thsts the model).

I can get a wireless signal at good strength for about one minute then it's like the netgear access point restarts and I lose connection, netgear disapears from the list of available networks in windows 7 ultimate. I also have a laptop running windows xp slightly closer, when I do a scan for networks it sees the netgear wireless network but can never connect, I checked the activity log on the netgear access point (over the wireless network while it's available) and it only shows wireless clients being authenticated, none of the times I restarted the access point are being logged so I can't tell if it actually is restating.

The router and the access point are both in a shop below my apartment so I only have access to them during working hours so any more hard resets are not an option until Tuesday. I have access, briefly to both over the wireless network when it's working but not long enough to download a firmware update and install it on the WG302 which I'am assuming is the problem. The current firmware version is

Wireless is off on the router. The router is a DHCP server: 192.168.1.1,
    the access point has a static IP: 192.168.1.36
    My computer (win7) also has a static IP: 192.168.1.35
    Both my PC and the access point can get IP automatically I just set it this way for now to see if it made any difference and to make sure the access point wasn't given some random IP that I didn't know. But both have previously gotten assigned IPs from the router before that.

I've gone over and over the settings in both the router and the access point and I can't figure out whats wrong. I can't really go looking through websites for an answer either because the connection keeps dropping, I downloaded the manual for the netgear AP at work knowing I wouldn't have the internet at home and forgot that since I'm just after reinstalling windows 7 I don't have a pdf reader installed and can't download the damned reader because my connection wont stay open long enough to download one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've recently tried upgrading my wireless network by installing a netgear wg302 access point to boost the signal. I have that plugged into the original router Digiweb sent to me, which I think is Zyxel model P-660HW-D1 (I think, according to the admin page thsts the model).

I can get a wireless signal at good strength for about one minute then it's like the netgear access point restarts and I lose connection, netgear disapears from the list of available networks in windows 7 ultimate. I also have a laptop running windows xp slightly closer, when I do a scan for networks it sees the netgear wireless network but can never connect, I checked the activity log on the netgear access point (over the wireless network while it's available) and it only shows wireless clients being authenticated, none of the times I restarted the access point are being logged so I can't tell if it actually is restating.

The router and the access point are both in a shop below my apartment so I only have access to them during working hours so any more hard resets are not an option until Tuesday. I have access, briefly to both over the wireless network when it's working but not long enough to download a firmware update and install it on the WG302 which I'am assuming is the problem. The current firmware version is

Both my PC and the access point can get IP automatically I just set it this way for now to see if it made any difference and to make sure the access point wasn't given some random IP that I didn't know. But both have previously gotten assigned IPs from the router before that.

I've gone over and over the settings in both the router and the access point and I can't figure out whats wrong. I can't really go looking through websites for an answer either because the connection keeps dropping, I downloaded the manual for the netgear AP at work knowing I wouldn't have the internet at home and forgot that since I'm just after reinstalling windows 7 I don't have a pdf reader installed and can't download the damned reader because my connection wont stay open long enough to download one.

You should try changing the Wireless channel on the Router. Interference is probably the cause of the disconnections.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've tried changing the channels with no success. In the event log on the windows 7 machine it has these information logs,

18:10:25
    Event ID: 8033
    Description:
    The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{327196A5-A87D-487F-B983-3925EDE0E589} because a master browser was stopped.

Then the next information entery is
    Date: 08/11/2009 18:10:25
    Event ID: 7042
    Description:
    The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service was successfully sent a stop control.

The reason specified was: 0x40030011 [Operating System: Network Connectivity (Planned)]

Comment: None

Date: 08/11/2009 18:10:25
    Event ID: 7036
    Description:
    The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service entered the stopped state.

Computer browser service also stops,

They then all start up again I have internet for a few seconds and they restart again. I would suspect my adapter only for it's happening to the xp machine as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

why not try connecting with the zyxel modem to see whether that works?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

I've tried changing the channels with no success. In the event log on the windows 7 machine it has these information logs,

Then the next information entery is

Computer browser service also stops,

They then all start up again I have internet for a few seconds and they restart again. I would suspect my adapter only for it's happening to the xp machine as well.

OK, so you are having issues with the NetBIOS part of the whole setup. Have you downloaded the full manual from the netgear site? Have you googled the error messages? Have you read up on NetBIOS?

lordarpad wrote: »
    OK, so you are having issues with the NetBIOS part of the whole setup. Have you downloaded the full manual from the netgear site? Have you googled the error messages? Have you read up on NetBIOS?
    Yes I did download the manual as I said in the first post, I just didn't have a pdf reader and I couldn't search the internet due to the problem I was having with the wireless network disconnecting.

• Advertisement

I've looked up netbios but I don't see how it could be affecting me. Apparently this netgear stuff has a history of poor firmware and I've found mentions of netbios problems but no solutions. I've downloaded the latest firmware but I doubt I'll be able to install it over the wireless network as the connection won't last long enough to do it.

The only netbios related setting I can change is the name of the access point.

Can anyone give me any suggestions to fix this, I have no internet at home because of it.

I found the Netbios setting under the wireless adapters properties and disabled it, I found the TCP/IP Netbios helper service and disabled it,

I also saw that the windows media center receiver and scheduler services were starting and stopping so I disabled them too. On another forum someone said that putting the computer browser service on automatic instead of manual would solve it but it didn't.

I restarted the PC after doing each of those things.

Tis fixed now, it was the Access point. a setting called "detect rouge stations" was on, and even though I'm sure I turned that on and off before this time it did the trick.

This problem returned soon after even though I'd made that change on the router. I had noticed that it seemed fine when I came home for lunch and only seemed to cause problems in the evening. Today I noticed it only happens when I have windows media player running, I nearly always have something playing as I don't have a tv.

How could WMP be causing my internet to cut out?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Could there be any other wireless gadgets around? tv sender or anything?

• Advertisement

Not that I know of, the other apartment doesn't have anything wireless in it neither goes the shop downstairs. I've even plugged out the bluetooth dongle in an act of desperation.

I switched to VLC media player and there's a vast improvement in the connection. I still get the odd bit of stutter when watching video but its much better. The videos I watch are divx.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iarann

Similar recent problem with netopia, very similar. turned out to be a problem with the electricity. we had noticed occosional light flickers etc thats what made us check the power.

Prove things working is a good rule of thumb. Get yyour laptop working directly connected to the unit using a cable and temporarally remove the antennas if they are easily detachable. If that stays up its the wireless end you are having fun with, if not it is probabally not wireless interference.

Advertisement